Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 16 2013, 07:38 PM   #61
Pavonis
Commodore

Re: The Walking Dead

What is there to see of the post-apocalyptic America, though? Might they stumble out of Georgia and learn that the rest of the US didn't notice the zombie apocalypse?
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 07:40 PM   #62
Kegg
Rear Admiral

^
There could always be other post-apocalyptic communities like Woodbury.
Old July 16 2013, 07:46 PM   #63
Pavonis
Commodore

Undoubtedly, but what would be different about another Woodbury-type community? It would be nice if TWD had the budget to be global in scope, allowing us a glimpse of the wider world's fate, but then it wouldn't be TWD, it'd be World War Z (the book, not the movie).

Sometimes, I imagine that TWD is just one story set in the WWZ universe. I don't think there is any inherent contradictions between the universes. Rick's band is surviving in Georgia, while the wider world is out there, fighting battles and establishing safe zones. Maybe someday the wider world will impinge on Rick's group - maybe the legitimate government or military will find them...who knows?
Old July 16 2013, 09:36 PM   #64
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Pavonis wrote: View Post
Undoubtedly, but what would be different about another Woodbury-type community? It would be nice if TWD had the budget to be global in scope, allowing us a glimpse of the wider world's fate, but then it wouldn't be TWD, it'd be World War Z (the book, not the movie).

Sometimes, I imagine that TWD is just one story set in the WWZ universe. I don't think there is any inherent contradictions between the universes. Rick's band is surviving in Georgia, while the wider world is out there, fighting battles and establishing safe zones. Maybe someday the wider world will impinge on Rick's group - maybe the legitimate government or military will find them...who knows?
I remember one of the producers or writers commenting that next season the walkers would become more of a threat again.

I don't know how they accomplish that unless they bring in faster walkers because everyone in the current group is accomplished at killing them even close-up.

Shit, Andrea took down 3 by herself in the woods next to a tree.

Rick et al take them out now even with a knife.

Any conjecture on how the walkers could become more of a menance again?
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 10:20 PM   #65
Pavonis
Commodore

I don't know how they'd make biters/walkers/lurkers/zombies more dangerous than they already are. They're really just a background threat, not really ever supposed to be the primary threat. The living are the ones that need to be feared; the dead are just background dangers.

I suppose, though, since season 3 established that walkers can "starve" if they don't eat enough (they just starve really slowly), then perhaps the walkers are capable of more. If they need to eat, then they're still alive, and if they're still alive, then maybe they can learn. That'd be scary - a smart zombie.

The first episodes of the first season had a walker use a rock to break a glass door down, so they have retained enough rudimentary intelligence to use tools. If only the smartest ones have "lived" through the first year after the apocalypse, I can see the smart ones being a tougher threat to the survivors, who have honed their skills on the less intelligent ones.
Old July 16 2013, 10:21 PM   #66
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

DarthTom wrote: View Post

I remember one of the producers or writers commenting that next season the walkers would become more of a threat again.

I don't know how they accomplish that unless they bring in faster walkers because everyone in the current group is accomplished at killing them even close-up.

Shit, Andrea took down 3 by herself in the woods next to a tree.

Rick et al take them out now even with a knife.

Any conjecture on how the walkers could become more of a menance again?
Let them bite someone during one of those close-quarters kills, so, they'll think twice about it, instead of acting like it's a video game? Or maybe instead of 2 or 3 coming at a person at once, make it 5 or 6.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2013, 02:20 AM   #67
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

I suppose, though, since season 3 established that walkers can "starve" if they don't eat enough (they just starve really slowly), then perhaps the walkers are capable of more. If they need to eat, then they're still alive, and if they're still alive, then maybe they can learn. That'd be scary - a smart zombie.
Did they? Because they've also shown the zombies have no biological "need" other than brain activity and even then only on the most basic level. We've seen zombies who've sustained massive damage to internal organs and even some with missing lower torsos so clearly they have no biological activity or "need" to eat.
Old July 17 2013, 02:47 AM   #68
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Yeh, I don't recall anything about starving zombies on the show.
Old July 17 2013, 02:49 AM   #69
ThunderAeroI
Rear Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
Yeh, I don't recall anything about starving zombies on the show.
Yeah. They mentioned that if they dont feed for awhile they slow down, then sleep, and then die.
Old July 17 2013, 02:49 AM   #70
Dream
Admiral

Obviously, the zombies won't be going away any time soon. No zombies means no show. The show must go on...
Old July 17 2013, 02:50 AM   #71
Pavonis
Commodore

Not what was established in season 3. Milton determined that walkers can starve, they just do it slowly. It's probably a bone to the more scientifically literate fans, since zombies otherwise violate thermodynamics. If the zombies instead survive on some external energy, even if they don't process it the way living humans do, it's a step up from the typical zombie story.
Old July 17 2013, 02:54 AM   #72
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

I could see their bodies continuing to burn its own muscle/body tissue until all that's left is basically a skeleton which can't be mobile so in that sense maybe the zombie is "dead" if, however, still "active" in the mind (assuming it also isn't burned for energy.) Maybe it's better to instead say "dead' they're just not longer a real threat.

But we've seen near skeletal zombies and partial bodies still posing as a threat and trying to attack and also plenty of still "healthy" sized zombies nearly a year after everything went down.
Old July 17 2013, 09:25 AM   #73
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

They've shown them go into a dormant state and then revive when people pass by, but I don't think they've ever shown a zombie starve to death. Although that might explain the dead bodies they've found (in cars, for example) that appear complete, but are not zombies.
Old July 17 2013, 12:41 PM   #74
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Did they? Because they've also shown the zombies have no biological "need" other than brain activity and even then only on the most basic level. We've seen zombies who've sustained massive damage to internal organs and even some with missing lower torsos so clearly they have no biological activity or "need" to eat.
In the pilot Morgan Jones wife kept returning to his house and tried to open the door. Doesn't this imply they have some basic memories?

Also we see some of the zombies returning to familiar places e.g. the church and sitting in the pews.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2013, 02:11 PM   #75
Pavonis
Commodore

All dead bodies that were found in cars that did not reanimate probably suffered head trauma, preventing reanimation. As for starving to death, there may not have been enough time for any walker to do so. And anyway, only active walkers would attack, so the sampling of walker demographics is biased by the dramatic needs of the show.