New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old July 9 2013, 09:00 PM   #376
Maxwell Everett
Fleet Captain

Re: Season FOUR OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

JJohnson wrote: View Post
I don't want too much from an update, other than:

*better looking planets (TOS-R was awesome in this regard)
*alternate 'Enterprise at warp/flyby' establishing shots (again, TOS-R was great for this, and the next one)
*alternate 'Enterprise entering orbit' shots
*make shield effects look more modern, like the latter TNG movies
*make the transporter effect look more three-dimensional (the ST09, whatever else, did well with this)
*correct any FX that looked cheesy or just bad in the original, or could be improved (the end of season 1 creatures, etc)
*whenever practical, add in ships other than Oberth, Miranda, and Excelsior in a shot.
*whenever practical, make on-planet sets look like they're on a planet (the outpost in Arena was one example of this)
*add detail work to ships (Constellation in Doomsday Machine...the little asteroids bouncing off the hull, great detail)
*when practical, correct ships that were affected by lack of budget to restore the original intent.
*when practical, give the ships more motion during fight scenes. They're all too often static images of Enterprise firing phasers.

That's pretty much descending order of priority to me. I just want the effects monotony broken up, and the 'staying true' feels like a wasted opportunity to me.

The first three especially, and the first five are what I would have expected from a half-hearted effort.
Nothing wrong with, as a fan, having a wish list. But I think characterizing what CBSD is doing with TNG-R as less than "half-hearted" is a bit much. Because they aren't doing what you'd personally like them to do, their efforts aren't even half-hearted? So what are they, quarter-hearted? Third-hearted? I think what they are doing is nothing short of spectacular, given the unprecedented nature of this remastering effort -- a level of care that no TV show had ever been given before. It shows respect, not half-heartedness.

You'll acknowledge that in practice there's quite a big gap between what one may want or what is conceivably possible and what one can do given specific resources, time and money. CBS realized that they had most of the original assets on 35mm film vaulted safely away in good condition in a salt mine for 25 years, so spending money on all new CGI effects to replace them makes no sense from either a financial point of view or an artistic point of view because you'd be throwing out the hard work of Emmy and Academy Award winners.

I am quite sure either the TNG project was going to happen as it has happened or it was not going to happen at all. They certainly didn't have the budget or time to both restore the original shots and replace them with CGI. TOS-R utilized CGI because the original effects elements had been lost and the opticals that were already cut into the negatives looked very, very poor, so they wanted to give fans a choice to watch something that looked more uniformly high quality.

With TNG, pretty much everything was already uniformly high quality... thanks to those aforementioned Emmy and Academy Award winners.
Old July 9 2013, 09:10 PM   #377
Doug Otte
Fleet Captain

TV's Frank wrote: View Post
Tosk wrote: View Post
Considering the amount of money that has been poured into this unprecedented effort, I'm very happy with the "same but better" approach...with just a few very specific screw-ups fixed.
Indeed, if CBS went with JJohnson's list of requests for the FX, we would only receive one season set a year on Blu-ray...
...or we might not have received any sets...ever.
Doug Otte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2013, 09:21 PM   #378
FrontierTrek
Fleet Captain

View FrontierTrek's Twitter Profile

It's very hard to quantify or qualify the ENORMOUS amount of work that is involved with the remastering project as it is. It's truly unprecedented and CBS Digital have a huge team working tirelessly to stay to a tight schedule and keep quality high. There is so much work that goes on behind-the-scenes that we don't hear about, things we take for granted when we watch a final 45-minute episode on Blu-ray.

If they were to go down the line of your suggestions, JJohnson, the project would take twice as long, be impossible to finance and suffer in quality.
Old July 9 2013, 09:32 PM   #379
OneBuckFilms
Fleet Captain

I personally am stunned at just what has been done, and grateful to see the show given so much "extra love" as one compositing artist said on the special features.

There are always tweaks or enhancements that one can think of, but this is not the goal. The goal is one of restoration rather than revision.

I want TNG to be what it is, what it was originally designed to be. And we're getting that here.
OneBuckFilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2013, 07:41 PM   #380
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

Very nice!
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2013, 08:02 PM   #381
MickJo1701
Commander

Models look good, starfield is high rez, no blur or DNR scrub. Not bad at all, cant wait to see more.
MickJo1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2013, 08:56 PM   #382
Aatrek
Rear Admiral

Yeah, it's a pretty good composite job!
Aatrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2013, 09:27 PM   #383
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

Modern Video's work on the 4-footer makes the ship look better than HTV's work on the 6-footer. Says it all, really.
Old July 11 2013, 09:44 PM   #384
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

Here's the same element done by CBS-D in The Hunted:

Old July 12 2013, 04:20 PM   #385
Start Wreck
Fleet Captain

Looks okay, but a bit flat. Not as contrasty as CBS-D's version, who seem to have discovered that the best way to make the 4-footer look good is to cover half of it in shadows!
Start Wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 05:34 PM   #386
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Neither approach works particularly well though, at least in this case. There are plenty of not-so-bad shots of the four footer in TNG, but this sure ain't one of 'em.

The secondary hull is okay, but the saucer edge looks almost as toy-like as the actual toy on my desk.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 05:41 PM   #387
trekker670
Captain

I think one thing to point out when comparing the S3 and S4 versions of this shot is that the S3/CBS-D version has the ship orbiting a planet, which is reflecting off the ship. In the S4 version, they're just in space so such a reflection wouldn't be expected.
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 07:07 PM   #388
M
Vice Admiral

Frankly, I think all of those images of the 4-foot model look amazing. I fail to see any problem with them. The model and effects work is just gorgeous.
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 07:39 PM   #389
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

One aspect of the 4-footer that looks bad in HD is that you can tell the model has decals.

There's a shot from Redemption trailer (the one where it does an about face) where you can see light shining off the decal on the warp pylon.
Old July 16 2013, 09:54 PM   #390
mr.peany
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to mr.peany

Am I correct in assuming that CBS-D have handled all the live action components for this season??
http://unoland.myminicity.com/
mr.peany is offline   Reply With Quote