RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,651
Members: 24,810
Currently online: 565
Newest member: Damix

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old July 16 2013, 04:52 PM   #1
Ensign_Redshirt
Commodore

Bill Gates invents transparent aluminium!

Well, probably not Gates in person, but his company...

http://www.techspot.com/news/53236-r...-aluminum.html
Ensign_Redshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 05:03 PM   #2
sojourner
Admiral

Re: Bill Gates invents transparent aluminium!

Oh hey, a "transparent aluminum invented" announcement. Must be Tuesday.
Old July 16 2013, 05:18 PM   #3
Pavonis
Commodore

Corundum is transparent aluminum compound, or aluminium if you're European.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 05:40 PM   #4
B.J.
Rear Admiral

Ensign_Redshirt wrote: View Post
Bill Gates invents transparent aluminium!
Inaccurate. The article only said they were using "transparent aluminum" in the watch's construction. Someone else invented it.
Old July 16 2013, 05:48 PM   #5
MacLeod
Admiral

Isn't the spelling Aluminium the preferred one by the IUPAC being regonised from 1990, it wasn't until 1993 or so that the alternate spelling was accepted.

http://www.iupac.org/fileadmin/user_...ble-1Jun12.pdf
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 07:04 PM   #6
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Isn't the spelling Aluminium the preferred one by the IUPAC being regonised from 1990, it wasn't until 1993 or so that the alternate spelling was accepted.

http://www.iupac.org/fileadmin/user_...ble-1Jun12.pdf
This mean we can store whales in giant storage tanks now for transport back to the future?
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 07:45 PM   #7
Christopher
Writer

Alumina-based glass has been around for ages, and every time someone develops a new application for it, someone in the media screams "Hey, they invented transparent aluminum!" But alumina (aluminum oxide) is not aluminum any more than water is hydrogen or salt is chlorine. It's rock, not metal. And it's not even remotely surprising for alumina (aka corundum, aka emery) to be transparent, because it's the stuff that rubies and sapphires are made of.

And what's bizarre is that one of these stories crops up every few months, and yet somehow people don't remember the multiple previous times this "invention" was "announced."

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 08:09 PM   #8
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
And what's bizarre is that one of these stories crops up every few months, and yet somehow people don't remember the multiple previous times this "invention" was "announced."
Is it an abundant precious stone? If not, I don't see how Microsoft can mass produce and sell these watches cost effectively to average consumers.
Old July 16 2013, 09:07 PM   #9
Pavonis
Commodore

It's not precious, really. Alumina is just aluminum oxide, pretty common stuff. Rubies and emeralds are precious gems that have aluminum compounds in them, but they wouldn't be used in such an application.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 09:21 PM   #10
Christopher
Writer

Like I said, alumina is also called emery. As in emery boards. It's the stuff we use to file our nails. It's a common but very hard substance, and that means that alumina-based glass and ceramics can be much stronger and more durable than silica-based glass and ceramics, which is why it's useful for things like vehicle armor and durable watch faces.

Old July 16 2013, 09:31 PM   #11
Metryq
Captain

Illegitimus non carborundum!
Old July 17 2013, 02:53 PM   #12
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Like I said, alumina is also called emery. As in emery boards. It's the stuff we use to file our nails. It's a common but very hard substance, and that means that alumina-based glass and ceramics can be much stronger and more durable than silica-based glass and ceramics, which is why it's useful for things like vehicle armor and durable watch faces.
Apple is a cheap ass then for not using it on the original iPhone/ iPad. Just think of the number of people with cracked screens that this could have helped avoid if it is as common and old technology as you say.
Old July 17 2013, 03:05 PM   #13
Christopher
Writer

^You misunderstand. The basic material that this type of glass is made from is commonplace, but making it into useful glass with the desired properties still requires finding the right formula. Yes, it's stupid the way the media insists on calling it "transparent aluminum," but that doesn't mean there isn't some real cutting-edge materials science involved in the current research to develop alumina-based ceramics and glasses for new applications.

After all, regular glass is essentially made from sand, but that doesn't mean it's the same thing as sand. It takes skill and knowhow to transform the raw ingredients into the final product.

Old July 18 2013, 12:28 AM   #14
Data's Cat
Lieutenant

DarthTom wrote: View Post
This mean we can store whales in giant storage tanks now for transport back to the future?
My thoughts exactly!
Old July 18 2013, 12:47 AM   #15
Christopher
Writer

Point of order:
NICHOLS: Transparent aluminum?
SCOTT: That's the ticket, laddie.
NICHOLS: It would take years just to figure out the dynamics of this matrix.
McCOY: Yes, but you'd be rich beyond the dreams of avarice.
SCOTT: So, is it worth something to you? Or should I just punch up "clear"?
The whale tank was not made of transparent aluminum, since Nichols would've needed years to figure out how to make it based on the formula. The formula was how Scotty paid for the Plexiglas that was actually used to make the whale tank.