Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old July 16 2013, 04:37 PM   #61
Lance
Fleet Captain

Re: So the EMH Never Heard of the Dominion

Apologies for strayung off-topic slightly, but it's an interesting question just how much weight his rank carries. He's the ranking (Starfleet) officer of the station yes, but his actual rank was still only Commander until near the end of season 3. Would a visiting Captain be able to pull rank on Sisko? Would, say, Janeway technically outrank him?
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 04:46 PM   #62
Pavonis
Commodore

I don't think a visiting captain could supersede Sisko's authority over station matters. Sisko's superior would be an admiral, not another commanding officer. Positionally, Sisko is equivalent at the rank of commander to any starship captain.

As for his involvement in any search for a missing ship, what could he offer? Use of the Defiant? Who knows when Starfleet would get around to searching for Voyager? How many times were ships out of communications range for weeks or months at a time? Surely Starfleet doesn't get in a tizzy when a ship doesn't report immediately.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 04:48 PM   #63
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

Lance wrote: View Post
Apologies for strayung off-topic slightly, but it's an interesting question just how much weight his rank carries. He's the ranking (Starfleet) officer of the station yes, but his actual rank was still only Commander until near the end of season 3. Would a visiting Captain be able to pull rank on Sisko? Would, say, Janeway technically outrank him?
I can only speculate that DS9 wasn't considered a significant post, and there was a desire to make it seem that Starfleet was sharing control with Bajorans.

On the other hand, I am surprised Sisko wasn't an admiral by the end of the series. He was heavily involved in strategy and diplomacy during the Dominion War.
Bad Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 04:50 PM   #64
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
The EMH was last activated prior to Voyager leaving, there's no reason to think his program is periodically updated with current events while he's inactivated.
Back in the 90s it might have made sense that their computers would take time to be updated with that sort of information. Even today, the most common paradigm is sharing information via some central server.

But Voyager was docked at the station which had the most intelligence on the Dominion there was to have. Realistically, their computers should have synced that data automatically so it would be available as needed.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 04:52 PM   #65
Pavonis
Commodore

I believe the producers considered making Sisko an admiral, but thought it would take him out of the "pantheon of captains". Frankly, I think they should have anyway. They were original enough to start him out at commander, and I think it would've been cool to have a main character reach flag rank in a series rather than a movie or an alternate timeline or fantasy.

Even if Voyager's computers had the latest info on the Dominion (and they had enough info to use Jem'Hadar ships in holodeck simulations) there's no reason to think the Doctor would bother knowing anything about the Dominion. Clearly the Doctor isn't completely tied to the computer, since he interacts with it by terminal rather than some kind of "mental interface".
Old July 16 2013, 05:02 PM   #66
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Lance wrote: View Post
Rank and position aren't the same thing. On TNG, Data had the position of second-officer, third in command of the ship even though Beverly outranked him. Yes, Janeway outranked Sisko, but Sisko was still the commanding officer. It's like when an admiral visits the Enterprise; Picard is still the commanding officer.
Old July 16 2013, 05:09 PM   #67
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

I believe the producers considered making Sisko an admiral, but thought it would take him out of the "pantheon of captains". Frankly, I think they should have anyway. They were original enough to start him out at commander, and I think it would've been cool to have a main character reach flag rank in a series rather than a movie or an alternate timeline or fantasy.
Maybe "Far Beyond the Stars" was more about Sisko's career trajectory rather than his spiritual journey: a bro' still being held back.
Old July 16 2013, 05:57 PM   #68
Photon
Commodore

Lindley wrote: View Post
The EMH was last activated prior to Voyager leaving, there's no reason to think his program is periodically updated with current events while he's inactivated.
Back in the 90s it might have made sense that their computers would take time to be updated with that sort of information. Even today, the most common paradigm is sharing information via some central server.

But Voyager was docked at the station which had the most intelligence on the Dominion there was to have. Realistically, their computers should have synced that data automatically so it would be available as needed.
Thank you. Finally, a voice of reason
Photon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 06:11 PM   #69
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

Photon wrote: View Post

Thank you. Finally, a voice of reason
I don't think anyone here is arguing that it is more rational that the computer, and hence the Doctor, would not be updated with relevant information, only that is might be understandable. On the other hand, automatic updates of military and diplomatic intelligence (beyond the mere facts of the existence of the Dominion) might not necessarily be wise, expanding the possibility that such intelligence might fall into the hands of a Gul or the 24th C version of Wikileaks.
Old July 16 2013, 06:14 PM   #70
Pavonis
Commodore

I'd like to point out, again, that the Doctor regularly interacted with the ship's computer in the exact same manner as the rest of the crew, by talking to it or typing at a computer terminal. It was clearly the case that the Doctor did not have internal access to the ship's data, despite being a program himself. It makes sense, then, that no matter how much information on the Dominion was loaded into Voyager's computers that the Doctor might not know any of it.
Old July 16 2013, 06:16 PM   #71
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

^^^Is the doctor independent of the computer? I can't remember.
Old July 16 2013, 06:20 PM   #72
Pavonis
Commodore

He must be. If he weren't, then he'd have instant recall of anything in the computer, wouldn't he? He's not just an avatar of the computer, though, he's an independent program, probably with dedicated hardware running the EMH software.
Old July 16 2013, 06:23 PM   #73
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Pavonis wrote: View Post
I'd like to point out, again, that the Doctor regularly interacted with the ship's computer in the exact same manner as the rest of the crew, by talking to it or typing at a computer terminal.
Now that you mention it, that makes little or no sense.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 06:28 PM   #74
Pavonis
Commodore

It only makes sense if the Doctor is an independent system from the computer. The EMH systems may have been retrofitted into the Intrepid-class ships, but installed during the building of Nova and Sovereign-class ships. Those EMHs may be different, and have full access to the ship's computers.
Old July 16 2013, 06:37 PM   #75
Shatna
Grand Lord Admiral

Pavonis wrote: View Post
I'd like to point out, again, that the Doctor regularly interacted with the ship's computer in the exact same manner as the rest of the crew, by talking to it or typing at a computer terminal.
Now that you mention it, that makes little or no sense.
You're right, but of course from a writing and acting standpoint it does make sense. I'm not saying it was the right decision, necessarily, but it might have created more dramatic problems than it solved to have it otherwise.

Oh, and... hiya, Lindley! I believe the last time I saw you was in Bethesda at a get-together. Maybe we should schedule one soon.