Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old June 20 2013, 04:02 PM   #136
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: Latest acquisition!

Not Trek, but by a Trek actor-now-writer:

Ian and Anthony by Therin of Andor, on Flickr

I had a great chat last night with actor Anthony Montgomery (Travis Mayweather) of "Star Trek: Enterprise" at Kings Comics, Sydney, about his new graphic novel adventure, "Miles Away". He was great fun and very passionate about his writing.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2013, 09:16 AM   #137
Therin of Andor
Admiral

Christopher L. Bennett's "Star Trek: Rise of the Federation: A Choice of Futures" has just arrived Down Under!
Old July 10 2013, 01:34 PM   #138
Therin of Andor
Admiral

A brand new collectible "Star Trek" book, "Star Trek Cross-Stitch" by John Lohman (Gallery, 2013)! A stitch in time saves Seven of Nine, you know!

Cross-stitch front by Therin of Andor, on Flickr

And cool! The Tellarite on page 33 of "Star Trek Cross-Stitch" is wearing the ambassador's robes I bought in the "It's a Wrap!" auctions of Paramount props and costumes!

Cross-stitch inside by Therin of Andor, on Flickr

Some great patterns including catch-phrases for samplers, decorations for bibs, bookmarks, LCARS screens, alien language scripts, even a Borg Cube ornament.

Arrived Down Under this week. A companion book to Gallery's recent "Star Trek Craft Book".

Also arrived this week, from Amazon: "Star Trek FAQ 2.0: Everything Left to Know About The Next Generation", the Movies, and Beyond".

(My apologies for triple post, but no one else has been here recently.)
Old July 16 2013, 03:43 PM   #139
Desert Kris
Lieutenant

I've been chasing down some of the old books from what I've seen being referred to as the 80's novel continuity. There's a topic further down in this section, where some of these books are linked together by a network of very loose continuity sharing, so that's been a fun chase.

A month or so ago I found decent copies of The Vulcan Academy Murders, which I've surprised myself for neglecting, given that it it looks in on the planet Vulcan and Spock's family, at least according to the back cover discription. About two weeks ago I got a hold of Shadow Lord (hoping there will be some good Sword and Planet action like in Friday's Child), a really nice copy of The Final Reflection, and Uhura's Song (which I've dismissed for the longest time, but I've notice that it's very highly rated in some places, and again for curiosities sake to see how in joins in with the other 80' continuity books).

Less connected to the whole 80's continuity thing, I found a pristine hardcover copy of Reeve-Steven's novel, Federation, at a library sale for only $2.00 yesterday.
Desert Kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 04:04 PM   #140
Christopher
Writer

Uhura's Song is one of my all-time favorites. It's a great exploration/first contact story, a rousing adventure, and a treat for any cat-lover. As I recall, its strongest tie to the rest of the '80s continuity is that it brings back a supporting character introduced in The Entropy Effect, a felinoid security officer nicknamed Snarl.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 04:05 PM   #141
zarkon
Captain

Desert Kris wrote: View Post
A month or so ago I found decent copies of The Vulcan Academy Murders, which I've surprised myself for neglecting, given that it it looks in on the planet Vulcan and Spock's family, at least according to the back cover discription. About two weeks ago I got a hold of Shadow Lord (hoping there will be some good Sword and Planet action like in Friday's Child), a really nice copy of The Final Reflection, and Uhura's Song (which I've dismissed for the longest time, but I've notice that it's very highly rated in some places, and again for curiosities sake to see how in joins in with the other 80' continuity books).

Less connected to the whole 80's continuity thing, I found a pristine hardcover copy of Reeve-Steven's novel, Federation, at a library sale for only $2.00 yesterday.
Nice, those are all good books (though I don't think the author of Shadow Lord had read much - if any - 'Trek). Final Reflection & Federation are the best trek books ever for me.
Old July 16 2013, 05:07 PM   #142
Desert Kris
Lieutenant

Christopher wrote: View Post
Uhura's Song is one of my all-time favorites. It's a great exploration/first contact story, a rousing adventure, and a treat for any cat-lover.
So, this book really is the cat's meow...? Sorry for the bad humor, I couldn't resist. Many reviews I have seen have made a point of saying it's great for cat people...I mean people who love cats. That works for me, I love them.

As I recall, its strongest tie to the rest of the '80s continuity is that it brings back a supporting character introduced in The Entropy Effect, a felinoid security officer nicknamed Snarl.
I vaguely recalled the connection being small, but it was a small factor alongside the high ratings that helped me talk myself into it...cats helped, too.

zarkon wrote: View Post
Nice, those are all good books (though I don't think the author of Shadow Lord had read much - if any - 'Trek). Final Reflection & Federation are the best trek books ever for me.
I read Judith and Garfield Reeve-Steven's Prime Directive, and the first book of a series called The Chronicles of Galen Sword, both were very enjoyable (particularly Prime Directive) and their prose is very agreeable and goes down well for my brain.
Desert Kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 05:59 PM   #143
zarkon
Captain

So, this book really is the cat's meow...? Sorry for the bad humor, I couldn't resist. Many reviews I have seen have made a point of saying it's great for cat people...I mean people who love cats. That works for me, I love them.
Yeah, it's a really good book. There's a few pages of hokey dialogue between kirk/spock and a guest character, but other then that it's great. Everything regarding the aliens is fantastic and very well thought out.
Old July 16 2013, 06:35 PM   #144
Reanok
Commodore

The Reeeves Stevens novel Federatiion is really good you may also like Prime Directive and Memory Prime. Spock has been accused of a crime he didn't commit. the Original crew has a some great story arcs in this nove There's some interesting guest characters in this bookl.Uhura's song is one of my favorite Tos books.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2013, 06:34 AM   #145
Avro Arrow
Fleet Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
Uhura's Song is one of my all-time favorites. It's a great exploration/first contact story, a rousing adventure, and a treat for any cat-lover.
I still have very fond memories of this one. It was actually the first ST book I bought with my own money. With my awesome kid-logic, the reason I picked it was because it was the thickest of the offerings on the shelf, so *obviously* it was the best value for the money!

As I recall, its strongest tie to the rest of the '80s continuity is that it brings back a supporting character introduced in The Entropy Effect, a felinoid security officer nicknamed Snarl.
Good ol' Snnanagfashtalli. (Yes, I had to look up the spelling! )

A month or so ago I found decent copies of The Vulcan Academy Murders, which I've surprised myself for neglecting, given that it it looks in on the planet Vulcan and Spock's family, at least according to the back cover discription.
I remember liking this one, and yes, most of the book takes place on Vulcan. This was one I never picked up new when I had the chance, so I've always been on the lookout for a new-looking copy, which of course I've never found.

About two weeks ago I got a hold of Shadow Lord (hoping there will be some good Sword and Planet action like in Friday's Child),
All I remember about Shadow Lord is that I did not like it at all.

a really nice copy of The Final Reflection,
This one's a classic, and is probably my most frequently reread ST novel.
Avro Arrow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2013, 01:12 PM   #146
Therin of Andor
Admiral

Dayton Ward is running a competition on his blog at
http://daytonward.wordpress.com/2013...shadow-begins/
for the first five people to photograph his new TOS novel, "From History's Shadow", in a bookshop.

A few minutes after I noticed his announcement yesterday, I received email notification that my standing order copy was awaiting collection at Galaxy Bookshop, in Sydney's CBD. Great timing. Thanks Galaxy! Since I'm currently doing a writing course over five Thursday nights, I made a special trek into the city this evening, and the sales staff were very accommodating:

Dayton Ward's Star Trek: From History's Shadow by Therin of Andor, on Flickr

With the Shat by Therin of Andor, on Flickr

Spotted at Galaxy by Therin of Andor, on Flickr

Muppet Therin at Galaxy by Therin of Andor, on Flickr

I probably have a better chance of winning this (autographed copy of the book) than with his previous contest, which was to take one of Dayton's books on vacation. I was actually on post-term holidays, but just bumming around the house, but it was July 4, so I sent him the best Americana I had on hand:

Dayton's Challenge by Therin of Andor, on Flickr
Old July 25 2013, 04:35 PM   #147
Kertrats47
Fleet Captain

View Kertrats47's Twitter Profile

GOT IT!

I was number four in Dayton's contest!

Old July 26 2013, 12:04 PM   #148
Therin of Andor
Admiral

Dah winnahs!
http://daytonward.wordpress.com/2013...y-dah-winnahs/

Thanks Dayton!
Old August 1 2013, 01:54 AM   #149
trampledamage
Clone

Nice contest - kudos to Dayton.

And congrats to the two of you for being in the top five!

And he says that like it's a bad thing...
trampledamage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2013, 04:28 PM   #150
Therin of Andor
Admiral

Thanks!

Not to forget Botany Bay Jr.