Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 15 2013, 08:58 PM   #151
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Re: JD's Comic Book Thread

I got Dynamite's issue #1 of The Owl which is tied into the greater scheme of their Project SuperPowers.
The plot was a bit pedestrian with one kinda glaring bit of a disconnect for today's reader.
You don't just whip up a resume and get into to see the Chief of Police AND get loosely hired on the spot in a post 9/11 world. That bit felt way to '30's, if that was intentional they over sold it.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 02:46 AM   #152
JD
Admiral

What about the Manhattan Projects? The reviews have been pretty good and concept intrigues me?
Or Morning Glories? I keep seeing that getting good reviews.
EDIT: Just looked up East of West, and I'm definitely going to have to add that one to the list. That looks really cool.
Old July 16 2013, 03:27 AM   #153
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I've read and been told good things about The Manhattan Projects. Haven't gotten around to reading it yet though.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2013, 07:43 PM   #154
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Dynamite Comics
The Owl #2- found this issue to be a step up. The conflict with the granddaughter of his old flame who's taken up the mantle of Owl Girl does things by a slightly more Punisher methodology than he's accustomed to. That led to some drama + the subtle idea that Owl Girl might be interested beyond a crime fighting partnership. The Owl/Nick would not find that palatable I'd wager. Still, the gang turf war is heating up and a pro hit on Owl Girl has been made, can the Owl's patch things up and fight them together.....

Lady Rawhide #1 - Never read the original from Topps back in the 90's so came into this clean. Felt like the issue was juggling two intro stories at once. Issue starts and Rawhide has been doing her thing for awhile so it's not an origin issue. It also introduces a band of women outlaws, Sisters of the White Rose, who might just have been inspired by Lady Rawhide but that's unclear. I found it overall to be fairly solid, I'd go 3.5 out of 5 stars. I also found myself curious about where Zorro might be, if he's still around at all. I'd wager that's something they are holding out for.

IMAGE Comics
Lazarus #2 - this dystopian saga from Greg Rucka continues and I find myself more engrossed after two issues than I have on Fraction's East of West. The fraternal twins of House Carlyle are clearly plotting to take over the family. Forever aka Eve, the family Lazarus is starting to have conflicting morality issues with her task as the Family enforcer. They have't out right said it but I think she is a type of clone or synthetic person whose consciousness has been manipulated and her "programming" is crumbling. Meanwhile a rival Family in their zone is feeling the disarray and begun attacking outlying farms. They must be dealt with, will Eve do as the Family expects her?

I do have East of West #5 still to read, my drop it after this opening arc though. May or may not comment on it.
Also have X #4 from Dark Horse in the to be read pile.

VALIANT
Archer & Armstrong #12 - solid
Harbinger #15 - a death???

Anyone try Gail Simone's Red Sonja from last month? I passed but have heard good things elsewhere.
Old August 17 2013, 05:43 AM   #155
JD
Admiral

The new Red Sonya is definitely on my list once I get caught up on W&X-M and Smallville.
Old August 17 2013, 07:56 AM   #156
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

CaptainCraig you mean Hickman's "East of West" Fraction!!! LOL.

I read the first two issues of Ruka's "Lazarus" and after finding it difficult to get into the first few pages, really loved it. It's right up there with "East of West" IMO. I'm now reading two Image books.

I also checked out JMS' "Sidekicks #1" and thought it was pretty cool. Better than I expected.

Old August 17 2013, 08:00 AM   #157
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

THe Owl #2 was good. much improved from #1. Lady Rawhide #1 was ok. my memories of the Topps stuff is sketchy at best.

anyone pick up Lords of Mars? thought it was an ok first issue.
Saga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2013, 03:56 AM   #158
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

So East of West #5, I don't quite understand how Death went from being Black to White?
What am I missing there? What makes Xiaolian so special again that her and Death's offspring would be so powerful? He seems chained up very Matrix like in some aspects.

What is the message?

Once issue #6 comes out I'm going to re-read them altogether in one sitting. Then decide on staying with it or not. The art is very strong.

X #2 - was an enjoyable read. Frankly I have to know if X has some super human qualities. He seems to take just too much punishment and still keep going. They did a good job of making me wonder who he is now though after his mask was pulled off and only the other 2 characters saw, their reactions were of stunned amazement.
Old August 18 2013, 11:35 PM   #159
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

More like a shadow. A Shadow of Death. Death is not meant to love is it? I suspect that falling in love changed Death completely. As for their child...I assume he is meant to be a version of the Anti-Christ. Whatever machine they've got the kid hooked up to, it is conditioning him as well. Looks like Hickman probably watched "Star Trek IV: The Voayge Home" and or "Star Trek". Especially for the "How do you feel line".

Old September 15 2013, 04:35 AM   #160
JD
Admiral

Would I be able to read No Man's Land without Cataclysm or any of the other stuff leading up to it? I've been able to find all five collections of NML for the Nook, but I can't find all of Cataclysm on Comixology or for Nook.
Old September 15 2013, 04:57 AM   #161
Mr Light
Admiral

Definitely. All you need to know is an earthquake destroyed Gotham City and the US government decided to abandon the city and seal it off. NML is its own vast self contained story.

Mr Light is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2013, 01:04 PM   #162
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I second Mr. Light's statement, and would highly recommend Greg Rucka's novelization as well.

Old September 15 2013, 01:11 PM   #163
Mr Light
Admiral

I actually read the Rucka novel and never read the comics until a year ago. The novel tells a very solid and coherent and, dare I say it, realistic, story. The actual comics are a little 90s-y and have a ton more characters in them.

I think that No Man's Land is the ultimate Batman story. I wish that Nolan had done it properly over two movies.

Mr Light is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2013, 01:18 PM   #164
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Nolan was only influenced by elements of "No Man's Land". There was never any intention of adapting the entire story therefore no need to do it "properly". He just lifted from it what he wanted to use in his story, nothing more.

Now what would have been awesome is James Tucker's proposed "No Man's Land" series. Too bad that didn't happen.

Old September 16 2013, 01:43 AM   #165
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

I picked up Dark Horse's Brain Boy #1 this past week and enjoyed it. He's an obscure Dell character that only had six issues published back in the 60's. He's a telekinetic and telepath that works for a private security firm who loans him out to the US Secret Service frequently. I found the first issue interesting enough to commit to the first arc.