Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant

Saldana: Balancing Work And Motherhood

Cumberbatch In Wax
By: T'Bonz on Oct 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 15 2013, 12:43 AM   #121
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.
Re: The Lone Ranger

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Harvey wrote: View Post
The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Personally, I wonder how Disney execs are going to react if JJ Abrams stays true to form and delays the release date of Star Wars like he did his two Star Treks. Somehow, under these circumstances I don't think Disney is going to be as understanding as Paramount was.
Given Disney's one film a year strategy, I think the schedule is a bit more rigid. Also, as far as I know, Paramount's decision to move the release of Star Trek from December of 2008 to May of 2009 wasn't Abrams' decision, although it probably benefited the film.
I was more making a reference to STID, which had it's original release date of June 2012 postponed because Orci and gang needed more time on the script. Plus there was some talk around the time Abrams was announced as Episode 7's director that he was considering postponing the 2015 date. Details.

But, due to Disney's desperation for a franchise and their plan to do an SW movie a year, I really can't see Disney indulging Abrams the way Paramount did.
If Abrams can't deliver, they can just go with the director I've been suggesting from the get-go, Brad Bird. (Seriously, judging from Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol, Bird is the only action director in Hollywood right now with anywhere near George Lucas' gift for pacing & visual imagination.)

And while it's true that script issues where the big reason for the delays on Star Trek Into Darkness, Star Trek XI was pushed back from 2008 to 2009 because 2009's intended summer movie crop was decimated by the 2008 WGA strike. Harry Potter & the Half-Blood Prince was delayed for the same reason.

DarthTom wrote: View Post
As an aside, Helena Bohman Carter will always and only be Madam Lestrange in my mind. LOL
I think that will always be the first role I think of when I think of her, if only because it seems to distill her Burton-esque visual image so well. But she's done a lot of other great work in recent years, particularly in Tim Burton movies. She totally steals the show as Mrs. Lovett in Sweeney Todd. (But then, I've yet to see a production of Sweeney Todd where Mrs. Lovett didn't steal the show.) I loved her as the Red Queen in Alice in Wonderland. ("Use the curtains if you have to but clothe this enormous girl!") And her every tiny facial tic was pure comedy gold as the alcoholic psychiatrist in Dark Shadows. So I think she's had a pretty awesome career.

Gaith wrote: View Post
The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
All I read in your entire post was "Salma Hayek" & "Wild Wild West." I'm just going to savor that image again. It's probably still better than anything The Lone Ranger has to offer.

149-minute film

VS

106-minute film

From a purely visual standpoint, Hayek is more stimulating. However, if they both tried to seduce me, I think Helena Bonham Carter would jump to the front of the line. She has an inherent sultry-ness that's very appealing.
Old July 15 2013, 02:03 AM   #122
Mr Light
Admiral

I know nothing about The Lone Ranger and I enjoyed the movie. The action scenes were great and Depp was very funny as Tonto.

My one glaring complaint; there was absolutely no reason whatsoever for the framing story. Cut that out and the movie would have been 15 minutes shorter. I also agree with reviews that said cutting out Helena Bonham Carter would have changed nothing to the movie and made it another 15 minutes shorter.

I guess I'm in the minority but I really liked Wild Wild West. Smith and Kline were hilarious together and there was some crazy over the top action.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2013, 03:19 AM   #123
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post
My one glaring complaint; there was absolutely no reason whatsoever for the framing story. Cut that out and the movie would have been 15 minutes shorter.
It might have not been necessary, but I liked it. Plus, people who don't like the changes can blame the teller for not telling the truth.

Mr Light wrote: View Post
I also agree with reviews that said cutting out Helena Bonham Carter would have changed nothing to the movie and made it another 15 minutes shorter.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 01:42 AM   #124
bryce
Commodore

View bryce's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to bryce

I want to see this....kinda...but there are too many other movies out there now that I want to see more. And movies are kindaexpensive these days...so I'll either see this on DVD or a the cheap $3 theater. But eventually I will see it.

Weird, seems the for every *BRILLIANT* movie that Depp does, and BRILLIANT character that he plays...there's at leats one flop and one really weird character that has people thinking "What the h...!?"

For every PotC and Sweeney Todd there's a Willy Wonka and an Alice in Wonderland...
bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2013, 07:06 AM   #125
Dream
Admiral

Johnny Depp, Bruckheimer Blame Critics for ‘Lone Ranger’ Flop
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2013, 08:30 AM   #126
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

They sound foolish! I have yet to see it but this thing had a lot stacked against it regardless of reviews. Its a character, property that has been dead for almost half a century!!! This thing had as much chance of success as The Shadow and The Phantom did.

Depp never saw it as a Blockbuster! What a load of Crap!!!! Even if he did not Disney certainly did! They act like budget should not matter to the public. But everyone, knows these big summer movies cost a lot. Disney would never have agreed to make this at this cost unless they expected to gain a profit.

I used to be a really big fan of Johnny Depp but he is embarrassing himself in his performances but also how he presents himself off camera.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2013, 08:43 AM   #127
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

Johnny Depp RE: Lone Ranger:
"I think the reviews were written when they heard Gore (Verbinski) and Jerry (Bruckheimer) and me were going to do ‘The Lone Ranger’,” Depp said. “They had expectations that it must be a blockbuster. I didn’t have any expectations of that. I never do.”
^^^
Yep, Disney spent $215 million NOT expecting a hit. Gotta love clueless actor logic.
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2013, 01:59 PM   #128
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I can totally see Depp tripping through his roles not thinking about blockbusters. "Do I get to wear white makeup? Where do I sign?"
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2013, 04:41 PM   #129
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

Noname Given wrote: View Post
"I think the reviews were written when they heard Gore (Verbinski) and Jerry (Bruckheimer) and me were going to do ‘The Lone Ranger’,” Depp said. “They had expectations that it must be a blockbuster. I didn’t have any expectations of that. I never do.”
^^^
Yep, Disney spent $215 million NOT expecting a hit. Gotta love clueless actor logic.
He's not the one coming across as clueless.

He was clearly referring to the reviewers and their expectations, as well as his own. Just because Disney is throwing money at a project and paying him a ridiculous amount of money doesn't mean he expects it to be a blockbuster, nor should the reviewers go into a movie with preconceived notions before they've seen it. That's what the armchair film majors on the Internet do, not what a professional reviewer/critic should be doing.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2013, 06:46 PM   #130
davejames
Vice Admiral

They might be right that critics were gunning for the movie from the start, but there have been plenty of instances where critics turned around and actually praised a big Hollywood blockbuster if it ended up being, you know, good.

Titanic got an 88% RT score, and the first Pirates a 79%, and people ridiculed the hell out of those movies beforehand. And the third sequel of the Mission Impossible franchise got a 93%. And Avengers a 92%. And those movies are all about as blockbustery as you can get.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2013, 08:29 PM   #131
Crypto
Caped Trek Mod

When the high point of your movie is a horse wearing a hat, I don't think the critics are the ones to blame.
Old August 7 2013, 12:11 AM   #132
JD
Admiral

I don't buy that. There are plenty of movies that have been shredded by the critics, but then went on to make a crapload of money.
Old August 7 2013, 12:20 AM   #133
Dream
Admiral

JD wrote: View Post
I don't buy that. There are plenty of movies that have been shredded by the critics, but then went on to make a crapload of money.
Michael Bay's Transformers movies proved that!
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2013, 01:39 AM   #134
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

JD wrote: View Post
And of course the opposite can be true at times as well.
Critical darlings with good to great RT/Metacritic scores struggle or are out right flops.

I saw Lone Ranger it was too long and too neutered for a Western about a vengeful duo in the late 19th century American West.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2013, 01:45 AM   #135
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Why were the lads getting boners over her artificial leg?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote