RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,724
Members: 24,210
Currently online: 785
Newest member: vagarcia74

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old July 15 2013, 06:30 PM   #16
Pavonis
Commodore

Re: Inevitable future spectacular catastrophe in the making seen here.

Why? Because the name Titanic is cursed? Superstitious much?
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2013, 06:36 PM   #17
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

The tolerances for these modern cruise ships is very high spec. Just because it looks like a container ship with windows doesn't mean it's any less seaworthy. Moreso in fact because the rules for passenger ships is even more rigorous than for container ships. You have to ask the question though, who would want to travel in that? I know the reason they're being built is because cruise holidays are hugely profitable and the demand grows exponentially ever year, but if I was forking out for a cruise holiday I would choose something slightly more elegant to travel in.
Old July 15 2013, 06:44 PM   #18
Pavonis
Commodore

Does it really matter what the outside looks like, if the amenities inside are great?
Old July 15 2013, 07:09 PM   #19
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

Well yes, to me it does.
Old July 15 2013, 07:25 PM   #20
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

I went for a cruise on Freedom of the Seas back in 2008 and at the time it was the biggest cruise ship in the world. It was pretty amazing.

The Oasis of the Seas is another big one which I would love to sail on one day:

Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2013, 08:32 PM   #21
Pavonis
Commodore

Deckerd wrote: View Post
Well yes, to me it does.
Could you elaborate more on why, though? Is the vacation less relaxing if the facade of the boat is more boxy than sleek? Is the food less edible for being served on a boat that doesn't look streamlined? Will your vacation be ruined by being seen in a vehicle that is more functional than decorative on the outside?
Old July 15 2013, 08:42 PM   #22
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

We live on an island. I'm an ex-boat owner and I live in a country where most of the periphery is only contactable by ferry. We live in a country with literally dozens of ferries and all of them, even the oldest CalMac bucket in operation, looks better than that. Even the local ferries look better than that. But more importantly I travel across the Forth Bridge every day so we see all variety of cruise ships parked under the bridge on a visit and there are lovely cruise ships and there are ugly bastard cruise ships and I know which one I would pay my money for.
Old July 15 2013, 09:06 PM   #23
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Pavonis wrote: View Post
Just sayin'...
Old July 15 2013, 09:40 PM   #24
sojourner
Vice Admiral

TheSeeker wrote: View Post
I went for a cruise on Freedom of the Seas back in 2008 and at the time it was the biggest cruise ship in the world. It was pretty amazing.

The Oasis of the Seas is another big one which I would love to sail on one day:

When I last worked for RC, Freedom had just launched and Oasis was just known as the Genesis Project. Which as a trek fan I found infinitely funny.

I've worked aboard:

Navigator
Legend
Grandeur
Enchantment
Sovereign
Voyager
Explorer
Majesty
Viking Serenade (just before it was retired. what a crappy boat)
Old July 15 2013, 10:11 PM   #25
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

"Bad name for a ship....either that or this suit is really unlucky.” - The Doctor
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 05:29 AM   #26
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Captrek wrote: View Post
SS United States is a luxury passenger liner built in 1952 for United States Lines designed to capture the trans-Atlantic speed record.
People want to cross the Atlantic on a cruise ship designed to make the crossing in record time? How can "cruise ship designed to capture the trans-Atlantic speed record" not make people think of Titanic?
The record for the fastest trans-Atlantic crossing by ship -- the so-called Blue Riband (although there was never an actual medal or trophy) -- was a big deal from the early 20th century through the 1950s. It was a matter of national pride as well as prestige for the ship owners. Today, nobody gives two rat turds about the trans-Atlantic speed record. People take planes nowadays.

Also, as previously posted, cruise ships and trans-oceanic liners are really two different animals -- although some ships are built to do both jobs.

Does it really matter what the outside looks like, if the amenities inside are great?
That's why modern cruise ships look like floating hotels, both outside and inside. With cruising, the voyage itself is the experience. Oh, and you also get to stop at some touristy ports and buy a lot of tacky souvenirs.

Last edited by scotpens; July 16 2013 at 05:44 AM.
scotpens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 03:03 PM   #27
JuanBolio
Admiral

I sincerely hope it happens.

Major catastrophes are the only way head-in-the-sand people get their blinders knocked off. I'm also looking forward to the next major meteor impact and hopefully the wave of space exploration and control that will follow.

This has been an official JuanBolio post. You are now stronger, smarter, and a better human being for having read it. Congratulations.
JuanBolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2013, 02:50 AM   #28
Colonel Midnight
Vice Admiral

The SS United States is (or was -- granted she's around, but basically just a sad rusting hulk along the pier anymore... ) an AMAZING ship. Beautiful, clean lines... just a gorgeous ship.

The lengths that they went to in designing/building her was incredible -- even the piano, IIRC, was specifically made of aluminum in order to save weight! During the speed run for the Blue Riband, supposedly the paint on the bow was peeling off from the hull speed through the water.

If you can find a copy, look/read a book called [b]A Man and His Ship[/b[, by Steven Ujifusa. It's basically a biography of William Francis Gibbs (her designer), and his quest to build the SS United States.

Cheers,
-CM-

0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
Colonel Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2013, 03:22 AM   #29
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Colonel Midnight wrote: View Post
The SS United States is (or was -- granted she's around, but basically just a sad rusting hulk along the pier anymore... ) an AMAZING ship. Beautiful, clean lines... just a gorgeous ship.
Yes, the S.S. United States was a beauty in her day.

Sadly, her glory days are long behind her.

Old July 17 2013, 08:54 PM   #30
marillion
Vice Admiral

View marillion's Twitter Profile

Those ships look amazing... Lots of fun to be had by all, I'm sure... If I could handle my irrational fear of drowning, I'd be all in... I just don't like being in water where I can't touch/see the bottom... Has nothing to do with the boat pitching about, either.. I'm all about "thrill rides"... I just have seen too many movies where a ship sinks and the last shot you see is of it shooting down into the darkness with the lights flickering on and off.. Gives me the creeps like you can't believe..