RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,670
Members: 24,197
Currently online: 595
Newest member: Trek's Offender

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old July 15 2013, 12:21 PM   #121
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: What does 'nu' mean?

Rincewiend wrote: View Post
Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Why does Star Trek have such a stigma?
Because of people like you...
Oh for goodness sake. What is that supposed to mean? What behaviour of mine has caused Star Trek to have a stigma?

Members have spent over 100 posts debating the meaning of the term "nu", but it's my fault? Did you not see the grinning devil, indicating that I was joking? Fans with a sense of humour are the reason Star Trek has a stigma?
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2013, 02:42 PM   #122
The Wormhole
Admiral

Fans with a sense of humour are the reason Star Trek has a stigma?
Trust me, a sense of humour doesn't get anyone very far on Trek BBS.
Old July 15 2013, 02:57 PM   #123
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

Too right. If you ask why it matters that the turbolift seems to completely ignore the actual number of floors on the Enterprise, you get the kind of horrified silence as if you've just farted at the wedding vows.
Old July 15 2013, 03:51 PM   #124
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Deckerd wrote: View Post
Too right. If you ask why it matters that the turbolift seems to completely ignore the actual number of floors on the Enterprise, you get the kind of horrified silence as if you've just farted at the wedding vows.
NOTE to Self: Do Not invite Deckerd to my Wedding

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2013, 03:59 PM   #125
The Wormhole
Admiral

Personally, I find farting adds character to the proceedings, and wedding can be so dreadfully dull.

I'm not getting invited either, am I?
Old July 15 2013, 05:35 PM   #126
Lance
Fleet Captain

Pavonis wrote: View Post
Alt-spelling of new. That's all.
^ This. It's just an internet meme. I've seen people use it to describe all sorts of reimaginings of an earlier work: nuGalactica, nuWho, etc.

I don't think there's any hidden negative undertones to its use. It's simply a convenient way for people to distinguish instantly that they're talking about the modern version of something rather than about the older one.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2013, 10:37 PM   #127
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Star Trek Alternate Reality Where Abrams Runs Show or STARWARS for short.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2013, 10:38 PM   #128
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

^
Old July 17 2013, 08:05 AM   #129
FreddyE
Commander

The Wormhole wrote: View Post

Still, there's 14 years of Prime Trek after Roddenberry died. True Berman was in charge all 14, but Braga only had any real authority for 6 of those years. That's less than half.
I really didn´t know that. I just remembered how it used to be lots of "B&B" doing this, B&B that....so I wrongly assumed that it was always B&B....but I´m always willing to learn. :-)
FreddyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2013, 08:15 AM   #130
FreddyE
Commander

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
Even then, there's no guarantee it'll be universally agreed-upon (VOY vs. VGER, anyone?)
On the TrekLit board, it took a while to convince some people to use TTN as the three-letter term for the "Titan" series instead of... TIT.
Oh my god...This really made my day! TIT....ROFL!
FreddyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2013, 01:41 PM   #131
The Wormhole
Admiral

FreddyE wrote: View Post
The Wormhole wrote: View Post

Still, there's 14 years of Prime Trek after Roddenberry died. True Berman was in charge all 14, but Braga only had any real authority for 6 of those years. That's less than half.
I really didn´t know that. I just remembered how it used to be lots of "B&B" doing this, B&B that....so I wrongly assumed that it was always B&B....but I´m always willing to learn. :-)
And that's the problem, back in the day people applied the term "B&B" to everything even when Braga had nothing to do with it at all. For example, people blame "B&B" for the failure of Insurrection and Nemesis even though Braga had nothing at all to do with either movie. Likewise, Braga wasn't going to have any involvement with Berman's proposed Star Trek The Beginning movie and yet everyone still spoke of B&B in reference to the movie.

The B&B term or "Bermaga" as some used got thrown around so much that it created the false impression among fandom that Braga was Berman's partner in running the Trek franchise when in fact Berman ran Trek alone, Braga was just the show runner during two seasons of Voyager and the Enterprise's four seasons.

And the worse part is, back in the day there were fans who realized this but didn't care due to their intense and equally irrational hatred of Braga. I remember the first time I pointed this out around 2002 the response I got was something like "that's like saying an accused serial killer is only guilty of killing 3 out of the 5 people he's accused of killing. The point is the crime has still been committed by the man in question."

It often surprises me when people get all upset whenever me or anyone are critical of Abrams and his gang. While I may not always say the most professional or appropriate things about Abrams, I've never said anything that idiotic, and for that matter nor have any of the accused Abrams haters around here. So worn out jokes about lens flares or being sentimentally nostalgic about previous Treks is not cool since it's not appreciative of Abrams even though a decade ago slanderous comparisons to serial killers was an okay way to treat Braga. Trek fandom can truly be awesome at times.
Old July 17 2013, 03:02 PM   #132
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Wait, are you saying Berman and Braga aren't Siamese twins sharing a single head/brain?

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2013, 01:19 AM   #133
The Wormhole
Admiral

Yes, that is exactly what I'm saying. I also think JJ Abrams is sub-par. I'm just rolling in blasphemy.
Old July 18 2013, 06:02 AM   #134
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

I like NuTrek because it is not tied to Abrams who may wander off to the Outer Rim and not come back and be replaced with someone else before this franchise version runs out of steam.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2013, 09:33 AM   #135
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Another one plucked from fanfic - AU?

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (TOS)
Star Trek: Nemesis (TNG)
Star Trek Into Darkness (AU)