Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Closed Thread

Old July 13 2013, 04:18 PM   #1
neoworx
Lieutenant

New Book about TOS: These Are The Voyages

A new 3-book series called "These are the Voyages" will be available later this year. If it lives up to its claims it could be something really cool. We'll have to see.

"These Are The Voyages: Season One"
Old July 13 2013, 06:14 PM   #2
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Re: New Book about TOS: These Are The Voyages

... claiming it's "The book Gene Roddenberry and Robert Justman wanted you to read".

Unless the late Roddenberry is going to somehow lay his hands on the majority of the money from the sales of this book, I doubt he would want anyone to read it.

Old July 13 2013, 08:20 PM   #3
grabthars hammer
Captain

Hope it'll be good but what a regrettable choice of title.
Old July 13 2013, 08:32 PM   #4
Warped9
Admiral

Having read the excerpt this does indeed sound interesting.
Old July 13 2013, 09:33 PM   #5
Harvey
Admiral

The extensive use of the archival collections at UCLA should make this pretty interesting, even if it will make it harder for me to find stuff to blog about.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old July 13 2013, 10:10 PM   #6
bbailey861
Admiral

This is also in the Treklit thread, here:

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=218608.
Old July 13 2013, 10:22 PM   #7
Myko
Captain

That excerpt about Shore Leave was great, looking forward to this!
Old July 14 2013, 12:01 AM   #8
Maurice
Vice Admiral

View Maurice's Twitter Profile

What an awful cover.

I found the excerpts interesting. It's fascinating to get a glimpse into the production travails, and seeing confirmation that some things fans have argued about for years are, as expected, simply oversights by a production probably scrambling to stay on schedule (e.g. “Lithium Crystal Recharging Section” gets mislabeled "Engineering").

I'm curious what all the sources are. The memos are one thing, but did he interview all these people, or is he quoting other interviews at length?

I do have a concern based on these excerpts: the author editorializes too much, both via word choice ("the sloppiness continued") and in stating things which are not factual ("It may very well have been the best-staged fight shot for TV.").

Furthermore, there are some weirdly unexplained things like "The scenes in the alternate engineering set were planned to come next". What? What "alternate engineering set"? Does this mean in the script we are seeing two different Enterprises, one in each universe? Or does he mean the mislabeled lithium recharghing station? Impossible to decipher from the way it's worded.

So, it looks worth reading for the direct quotes, but I'm leery of the author's opinions, conclusions and lack of specificity.

Last edited by Maurice; July 14 2013 at 01:46 AM.
Old July 14 2013, 01:23 AM   #9
Harvey
Admiral

According to the author's website, the three books contains hundreds of previously unpublished interviews, which he conducted. The cover art and lax prose seem par for the course when it comes to print-on-demand books like this, unfortunately. It is too bad the money raised via Kickstarter couldn't have been used to make improvements in these areas.

The quality of the author's conclusions remains to be seen -- I am leery of anything so openly endorsed by Roddenberry's estate -- but the raw materials of a great book are certainly there.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old July 14 2013, 01:28 AM   #10
trevanian
Rear Admiral

The extensive quotes from Mars and Banks (who aren't listed as dead on imdb) sure make it seem like they are new interviews, but then that suggests a lot more time than 8 months for the work on this. Maybe 8 months going through the archives, plus however much more doing the interviews?

It seems too good to be true, but I'm jazzed about it ... this may actually make up for some of the missed opportunities Pocket had in the 90s for their ART OF to interview the behind-the-scenes folk before most of them started expiring.
Old July 14 2013, 11:25 AM   #11
Myko
Captain

Behind the scenes books on TOS that aren't just rehashes of what we already know with pretty pictures (Star Trek 365) are so far between nowadays that it doesn't have to be that good for me to pick it up.
Old July 15 2013, 01:02 AM   #12
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

I think there might be a little misprint in the "Shore Leave" excerpt. He refers to a 150 pound tiger. Adult Bengal tigers weigh between 300 and 490 pounds.

Maybe he had the figure in kilograms and forgot to convert it.
Old July 15 2013, 02:14 AM   #13
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

I didn't know they continued after dark on location for "Shore Leave," using stage lights to simulate daylight. I'll bet those are scenes where the non-sunlight quality led me to think they had shot additional scenes indoors.

There are some shots by Lazarus's little ship in "The Alternative Factor" that look very indoor; now I wonder if they were just out there at night with the studio lamps on.

Also, Bruce Mars adds some evidence to the theory that William Shatner was a nice, normal lead actor, and the whole supporting cast animosity legend was cooked up after the series, behind his back.
Old July 15 2013, 11:54 AM   #14
Myko
Captain

The anti-matter universe scenes in Alternative Factor was shot on the stage to make it appear different, if that's what you mean.
Old July 15 2013, 02:26 PM   #15
trevanian
Rear Admiral

ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
I didn't know they continued after dark on location for "Shore Leave," using stage lights to simulate daylight. I'll bet those are scenes where the non-sunlight quality led me to think they had shot additional scenes indoors.

There are some shots by Lazarus's little ship in "The Alternative Factor" that look very indoor; now I wonder if they were just out there at night with the studio lamps on.

Also, Bruce Mars adds some evidence to the theory that William Shatner was a nice, normal lead actor, and the whole supporting cast animosity legend was cooked up after the series, behind his back.
Yet the Shat stuff about Robert Sparr does lend credence to him throwing his weight around (no pun intended) in ways that weren't necessarily best for the show (and that from a longtime Shat defender.)
Closed Thread