RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,683
Members: 24,205
Currently online: 756
Newest member: JMSmith97

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old July 14 2013, 10:04 PM   #2851
Cinema Geekly
Lieutenant Commander

View Cinema Geekly's Twitter Profile
Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

sonak wrote: View Post
Opus wrote: View Post
silliness or not, big budgets don't make a great movie. TWOK and TUC were shot on small budgets and are two of the best films in the series.
Those movies were made 20-30 years ago.

yep.

so?

I wasn't suggesting a 25 million dollar budget for STXIII, just saying that even if the budget's drastically slashed it shouldn't be an excuse for poor movie quality.
I think the point was.... in 1991 that was actually a big budget.

Only one film in 91 had a budget that we could consider huge and that was Terminator 2 which was somewhere between 90-100m, everything else never got as high as 40m or so. So while it was never a super blockbuster budget Trek's budgets have been on par with most other big movies at least in that era.
Cinema Geekly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2013, 10:10 PM   #2852
sonak
Vice Admiral

Cinema Geekly wrote: View Post

yep.

so?

I wasn't suggesting a 25 million dollar budget for STXIII, just saying that even if the budget's drastically slashed it shouldn't be an excuse for poor movie quality.
I think the point was.... in 1991 that was actually a big budget.

Only one film in 91 had a budget that we could consider huge and that was Terminator 2 which was somewhere between 90-100m, everything else never got as high as 40m or so. So while it was never a super blockbuster budget Trek's budgets have been on par with most other big movies at least in that era.

$25 million was not a huge budget in '91. I think TWOK's budget was somewhere in the range of $12-15 million, also not a huge budget for '82.

Other than TMP, most of the TOS and TNG movies had relatively middle-of-the-road budgets for their times.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2013, 10:17 PM   #2853
Opus
Commodore

silliness or not, big budgets don't make a great movie. TWOK and TUC were shot on small budgets and are two of the best films in the series.

yep.

so?

What I am saying is the expectation of the general audience of a scifi/fantasy movie's FX has changed drastically, and doing a Trek movie on the cheap isn't going to fly like it did 20-30 years ago. Heck, it didn't fly 10 years ago when BermanTrek released NEM around the same time as LotR.

It will come off as poor movie quality.
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2013, 10:44 PM   #2854
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Belz... wrote: View Post
There's plenty of talk in those movies.
Not enough to stop me zoning out. (Not that I've seen "Fast and Furious 6", nor the previous five. The trailers were enough for me to decide it wasn't my kind of film genre. That and having once been dragged to "xXx".)
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2013, 10:53 PM   #2855
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
I do think that if you can excite the media it can spill over to the unwashed masses. I don't know that this would've happened but I think it's at least possible.
The international media was extremely excited. Reflected by our high box office. Perhaps the US media was less excited because they would have faced "Spoiler!" backlash if they had have talked about STiD too much. It was a premiering film making news Down Under but the US media chose not to talk about it too much on home soil? Perhaps?

Was US media really less excited by STiD than other films of its ilk?
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2013, 11:00 PM   #2856
sonak
Vice Admiral

yep.

so?

What I am saying is the expectation of the general audience of a scifi/fantasy movie's FX has changed drastically, and doing a Trek movie on the cheap isn't going to fly like it did 20-30 years ago. Heck, it didn't fly 10 years ago when BermanTrek released NEM around the same time as LotR.

It will come off as poor movie quality.

actually, looking at recent sci-fi movie budgets maybe you're right

kind of sad though, if true.
Old July 14 2013, 11:28 PM   #2857
I am not Spock
Commodore

In an era of spiralling 150-200 million dollar budgets, an el cheapo 60 million movie like Nemesis really is NOT gonna cut it
Old July 14 2013, 11:29 PM   #2858
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
I do think that if you can excite the media it can spill over to the unwashed masses. I don't know that this would've happened but I think it's at least possible.
The international media was extremely excited. Reflected by our high box office. Perhaps the US media was less excited because they would have faced "Spoiler!" backlash if they had have talked about STiD too much. It was a premiering film making news Down Under but the US media chose not to talk about it too much on home soil? Perhaps?

Was US media really less excited by STiD than other films of its ilk?
I think the interviews with Cumberbatch were rather crappy because of it and probably would've been more interesting if he could've actually discussed the character. Pure idle speculation though, I don't know if it would've made a difference I just think it might have.
Mr. Adventure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2013, 01:32 AM   #2859
Beyerstein
Captain

Did you guys see this?

http://buzzhub.wordpress.com/2013/07...nto-exclusive/
Beyerstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2013, 05:03 AM   #2860
Neumann
Captain

View Neumann's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Neumann

mswood wrote: View Post

Venezuela ($569,000) the week after
Star Trek ID was rescheduled to open on the 26th wide down here!
Old July 15 2013, 06:11 AM   #2861
Borgminister

Beyerstein wrote: View Post
Interesting...
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2013, 04:01 PM   #2862
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

As many have mentioned here and elsewhere, the reported budget is a "funny money" number. Studios do things like pay themselves to rent studio space and equipment, so who knows how much the studio actually paid out of pocket hard cash.
Yea, I once worked for a SubContract Assembly house for Electronics PCBA.

The owner got a salary, and with that Salary purchased the Building the Company operates in, purchased the Machines the Company uses to manuafacture the Product, and rents the Building and the machines to the Company. Even when the company was losing money horribly, the owner was making out like a bandit, and he could charge whatever rent he wanted for the building and machines, if the company started to make too much money and he needed to have it make less so the employees couldn't grumble about wantintg bonuses.

So, yea, I'm sure the movie business operates in much the same style. Artificially inflate the budgets by over-charging yourself for renting stuff to the movie you have provided a budget for. Plus any Producty placements revenue isn't deducted out of the budget, and isn't included in the Box Office revenue numbers.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2013, 04:39 PM   #2863
The Keeper
Commodore

STID has left the nearest AMC theater to me but continues strong at the nearest Regal theater with as many as four showings per day, even on weekdays.

Perhaps interestingly, The above noted AMC is located within a more densely populated area closer to downtown while the Regal is within an outlying, rural setting.
The Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2013, 04:41 PM   #2864
Franklin
Rear Admiral

Shooting sometime in 2014 but still going for a summer 2016 release may make sense. But if 2016 is the date, why rush into it, because the 2015 calendar already looks pretty crowded with big name movies. The Movie Insider has these 2015 releases listed:
-- Summer: Avengers 2, Justice League, Terminator 5, Independence Day 2, and another Pirates of the Caribbean movie.
-- Winter: Finding Dory (it's a sequel to Finding Nemo), a Hunger Games sequel, a James Bond movie, and Ant-Man.
-- Also listed for 2015: a Star Wars movie, Avatar 2, a Batman movie, and Prometheus 2.

Star Wars and Avatar 2 will be the 800-pound gorillas in the room. One will probably come out in the summer and the other in the winter. Both should easily do $500 million domestically. Ant-Man and Justice League are new, and except for the Terminator movies and Prometheus, the rest the franchises above have cracked the $300 million mark domestically in previous releases. Really can't see ST3 getting fair due with competition like that. Fiftieth anniversary or not, 2016 seems like the better year.

STID will come in at around $225, domestically. Of the 26 summer releases (May, June, July) from 2009 to 2013 that grossed at least $200 million domestically, ST09 ranks 16, and STID ranks 23.
Old July 15 2013, 04:47 PM   #2865
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Franklin wrote: View Post
Shooting sometime in 2014 but still going for a summer 2016 release may make sense.
From a financial aspect it wouldn't. That's money that will be tied up for 18-24 months not doing anything other than racking up interest the studio will have to pay back.