Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old July 13 2013, 08:43 PM   #16
DarKush
Rear Admiral

Re: Kirk-Spock-Uhura interplay

LobsterAfternoon wrote: View Post
I dig the portrayals that all the actors did, but this topic does make me kinda wish that they hadn't assembled the entire crew in the first film. It's tough to find enough screen time for all these guys, and I think I'd rather have saved someone like Chekov or Sulu for a later film or cameo or something.
Good point. Because it is very hard to give all of the characters big things to do while also telling whatever story you're going to tell. Some have to be more in the background and that sucks because the casting for the new Trek films is close to excellent.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2013, 03:30 AM   #17
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Scotty, Uhura, Sulu and Chekov were never more than background performers in the original series so it's not necessary to make an effort to turn the new movies into ensemble shows of some kind.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2013, 04:28 PM   #18
DarKush
Rear Admiral

I disagree. Times have changed since the original series. Many of the following Trek series (TNG, DS9, and VOY) followed an ensemble format, more or less, throughout their runs. ENT, which tried to emulate TOS with a trio focus, didn't turn out so well. I think modern audiences would be more receptive to an ensemble film, especially in light of successful ensemble pieces like The Avengers and Fast & The Furious.

Plus ensembles would give every character-specific subset of fans something to enjoy in a Trek film.
Old July 15 2013, 10:37 AM   #19
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile

DarKush wrote: View Post
I disagree. Times have changed since the original series. Many of the following Trek series (TNG, DS9, and VOY) followed an ensemble format, more or less, throughout their runs. ENT, which tried to emulate TOS with a trio focus, didn't turn out so well. I think modern audiences would be more receptive to an ensemble film, especially in light of successful ensemble pieces like The Avengers and Fast & The Furious.

Plus ensembles would give every character-specific subset of fans something to enjoy in a Trek film.
I disagree but I'm probably not in the correct demographic.
For all the talk of the ensemble format I don't think the episodes centered around Harry Kim or Beverley Crusher were really everybody's favourites.

In the end IMO, TNG became the Picard-Data show and VOY the Janeway-7of9 show. DS9 probably had the best ensemble pieces.

I personally want nuStar Trek to be about Kirk and Spock. The others can be in it but not too much. Its got to be about Kirk and Spock (and hopefully McCoy) being brave, reckless, heroic and badass. Did I mention Kirk and Spock?
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2013, 02:51 PM   #20
Kinokima
Lieutenant Commander

DarKush wrote: View Post

Have times changed or perhaps the trio they use in ENT was just not done well?

I don't really think ensemble or trios or duos are more popular, I just think it all depends on the writing and the character chemistry.

Anyways in these new films Kirk/Spock are still definitely the main characters. Yes there is somewhat of an ensemble feel but this isn't like Game of Thrones where it would be hard to say who are the main characters.
Kinokima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2013, 08:49 AM   #21
DarKush
Rear Admiral

Fair points CommisSleer and Kinokima. I do think good writing, among other things, had to do with fans' reception of Enterprise more so than the attempt to resurrect a big trio concept as opposed to the more ensemble approach of TNG through VOY.

That being said, I do also agree that TNG and VOY did become narrowly focused. However I think the Picard-Data thing really came to fore in the movies as opposed to the series. But with Voyager, after 7-of-9 showed up the show very much did became a Janeway-Seven-Doctor show.

Personally I thought VOY and the TNG movies became the poorer for it. As for the new Trek films while they perhaps don't have to be ensemble pieces I think it would still be to their benefit if they found ways to give all of the main cast members a spot light and some development, even if the lion's share will go to Kirk and Spock. It also wouldn't hurt to introduce new storytelling methods into Trek. Or rather modern storytelling methods. Trek should evolve with the times. There's a reason the original series was likened to Wagon Train, because Westerns were popular during that time. Now it's the 21st century and Trek should adapt, will have to adapt, to continue getting new fans and maybe keeping some old ones entertained and enthralled as well.
Old July 17 2013, 07:54 PM   #22
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

I dunno, most of my favourite TOS episodes are the more ensemble ones in the first season. I find the Kirk-Spock-McCoy focus can become a bit tiresome if over-used.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 12:15 PM   #23
Cyrus
Rear Admiral

The cover of the Blu-ray disk shows who Paramount thinks are the big 3 for this movie:
http://www.thetrekcollective.com/201...ness-home.html

And there is one cover with the top 5 characters.
Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2013, 01:04 PM   #24
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

"USS ENTERPRISE" isn't even centred on that saucer...