Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 14 2013, 11:18 AM   #121
EmoBorg
Captain

Re: Stephen King's Under the Dome - TV Series Discussion Thread

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post

I deliberately kept things vague and didn't mention anything specific for the benefit of the people watching the show who haven't read the book, dude.

You might want to edit that. It's strongly hinted at in the pilot, and some people have guessed correctly already, but just in case.
I think Big Jim has already mentioned in the third episode that he was running a meth lab when he was talking to the Reverend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z9R57maGvc
EmoBorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2013, 11:23 AM   #122
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'

EmoBorg wrote: View Post

I deliberately kept things vague and didn't mention anything specific for the benefit of the people watching the show who haven't read the book, dude.

You might want to edit that. It's strongly hinted at in the pilot, and some people have guessed correctly already, but just in case.
I think Big Jim already mentioned in the third episode that he was running a meth lab when he talking to the reverend.
Ah. I haven't seen the most recent episode yet. It's on my DVR.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2013, 02:57 PM   #123
Scout101
Admiral

Ah, missed most of that. Assumed it was a Breaking Bad joke...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2013, 05:41 PM   #124
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

I don't recall them confirming what it was, I was barely paying attention after the first half or so though.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2013, 11:13 PM   #125
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

They clearly said it was drugs.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2013, 12:17 AM   #126
Sto-Vo-Kory
Commander

EmoBorg wrote: View Post

I think Big Jim has already mentioned in the third episode that he was running a meth lab when he was talking to the Reverend.
He mentioned it as early as the second episode when he confronted the Reverend about using "the product" while on the job. Haven't read the book in full but a viewer can read between the lines. Dean Norris' character on Breaking Bad makes him playing Big Jim pretty ironic.

Last edited by Sto-Vo-Kory; July 15 2013 at 01:57 AM.
Sto-Vo-Kory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2013, 04:19 PM   #127
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

Miss Chicken wrote: View Post
There doesn't seem to be any little children in Chester's Mill. Maybe the parents were so disappointed with the quality of the product when the now-teens were born that they stopped breeding altogether?
The pilot established there was a parade in the next town over the day the dome dropped in. Small children and their parents were probably at the parade, so we don't have to be subjected to them.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2013, 05:58 PM   #128
Electric Coleslaw
Rear Admiral

I've kinda given up on this show. The execution of it is poor. I read the book and understood the characters to be just as cliched on print as they are on TV. I guess it speaks to King's ability to pull you into an exciting story regardless of the cookie cutter characters. The problem here is that they really need LOST type personalities to make this more interesting. In LOST the characters appeared cliched on the surface but they had deeper personalities that made them much more interesting. Sawyer comes to mind.
For me the only reason to keep watching the show is to see if maybe there is a different ending.
Old July 16 2013, 07:13 AM   #129
Yoda
Rear Admiral

Maybe the characters were cliched in the book. But, at least I could actually connect with the book on the level that it was a cynical take on a small town like the one I grew up in, and the kind of cliches that populate it. The last thing this particular story needed was the stroke of the network TV diversity brush that brought in a hipster lesbian doctor from LA who was just passing through.
Old July 16 2013, 01:04 PM   #130
Forbin
Admiral

My wife and I completely forgot it was on last night! I guess that says how much it's caught our interest. :/
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 04:29 PM   #131
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Yoda wrote: View Post
Maybe the characters were cliched in the book. But, at least I could actually connect with the book on the level that it was a cynical take on a small town like the one I grew up in, and the kind of cliches that populate it. The last thing this particular story needed was the stroke of the network TV diversity brush that brought in a hipster lesbian doctor from LA who was just passing through.
I've said before that I thought the Big Jim and Jim junior from the book are better characters than the ones depicted in the series, but I have no particular dislike for any of the characters, even the hipster lesbian doctor family. It may not have been needed, but given it's a network show, it certainly wasn't unexpected.

-Regina, heralding Elsa's arrival.
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 08:08 PM   #132
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile

I don't mind the show; It's better than 90% of whatever else is on at the same time, and since I haven't read the book yet, I'm curious to see where this goes.
Old July 17 2013, 12:47 AM   #133
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Kirby wrote: View Post
I don't mind the show; It's better than 90% of whatever else is on at the same time, and since I haven't read the book yet, I'm curious to see where this goes.
I don't know what's in that 90% but you set the bar low. This show is cliched and just dull. The characters just aren't interesting and they're not focusing at all on the "problem" of the series -as I feared. It's all character nonsense which would be fine if the characters were interesting and not cliches.
Old July 17 2013, 12:53 AM   #134
Miss Chicken
Little three legged cat with attitude

Did I miss something happening to the fat girl from the radio station? She hasn't been in the last two episodes. At least she was making an effort to get through the dome.

Last edited by Miss Chicken; July 17 2013 at 02:25 AM.
Miss Chicken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2013, 01:29 AM   #135
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile
Pi

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Kirby wrote: View Post
I don't know what's in that 90% but you set the bar low. This show is cliched and just dull. The characters just aren't interesting and they're not focusing at all on the "problem" of the series -as I feared. It's all character nonsense which would be fine if the characters were interesting and not cliches.
I found that if I lower my expectations I'm rarely disappointed. That's why I remain a Colorado Rockies fan...

I'm probably too complacent in what I watch (hell I watched five consecutive episodes of BBQ Pitmasters last week). I think it's a cool concept, and has some creepy moments in it so I'll stick with it for the time being.