Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How do you rate Pacific Rim?
A+ 31 24.80%
A 35 28.00%
A- 15 12.00%
B+ 25 20.00%
B 7 5.60%
B- 2 1.60%
C+ 2 1.60%
C 1 0.80%
C- 1 0.80%
D+ 1 0.80%
D 1 0.80%
D- 3 2.40%
F+ 0 0%
F 1 0.80%
F- 0 0%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 14 2013, 12:53 AM   #61
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Re: Pacific Rim - Grading and Discussion

Shanndee wrote: View Post
Admiral2 wrote: View Post

Tulin wrote: View Post

I have no love for animé(hate is too strong a word), yet I LOVED PR, so your point is kind of nullified.
Or, you're the exception to the rule. I'll wait for more responses that are similar before I abandon my hypothesis.
I am not really familiar with any anime. Other than "Spirited Away" (which I loved), I have no knowledge of it.

My love for this movies stems from the Ray Harryhausen and Godzilla movies that I loved as a child.

One more exception I guess!
But one more step to my complete reversal on the subject...maybe...

-Tom Clancy
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2013, 01:19 AM   #62
Tulin
Vice Admiral

A friend tried to show me "Princess Monononononke" when I was in the US several years back and I fell asleep.
Tulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2013, 01:21 AM   #63
Tulin
Vice Admiral

But the ironic thing is, I LOVED Japan growing up and have visited the country twice. I just find their animation......off.
Old July 14 2013, 01:24 AM   #64
Goji
Rear Admiral

I'm no fan of anime either, but I'm a huge Godzilla/Kaiju fan (my username is in fact derived from the Japanese name for Godzilla).
Old July 14 2013, 02:46 AM   #65
sojourner
Vice Admiral

But the ironic thing is, I LOVED Japan growing up and have visited the country twice. I just find their animation......off.
Check out Akira. It's the "go to" movie for those uninitiated to anime.
Old July 14 2013, 02:53 AM   #66
Christopher
Writer

^I think if anyone doesn't love Princess Mononoke, then anime is pretty much a lost cause for them.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2013, 03:23 AM   #67
RAMA
Vice Admiral

cbspock wrote: View Post
I guess they marketed the movie wrong. I have no desire to see the movie myself. The trailers alone just smelled of "battleship" type lame movie.

Word of mouth - even on the good "fanwank" reviews -- movie too long, plot holes, etc.

So why bother.

Grown ups 2 sucks as well... looks like a weekend to skip the movies.

Despicable Me 2 was funny at least.

-Chris

Um no...This was about a million times better in every area than Battleship.

Stone_Cold_Sisko wrote: View Post
I think the marketing for this movie was terrible. Only geeks who got excited about the very concept of "mechs" fighting monsters and knew about the director, had any enthusiasm. I got absolutely no vibe or buzz from this from the non-geek casual audience. Watching the trailers, I see nothing that distinguishes this from Battleship or any other generic action flop, it comes across as a movie trying to cash in on Transformers with giant robots. It needed either better marketing/trailers, or a big name actor.
The marketing was just fine, the odd thing is that even a lot of "geeks" aren't going to see it. It IS a shame, however I don't really care at this point, Im glad it's out and Im going to see it again tomorrow with some family.

If this movie had been bad...guilty pleasure, but since it was great, no guilt at all.

RAMA
Old July 14 2013, 03:28 AM   #68
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

Phily B wrote: View Post
One of the funnest movies I have seen in a long time, I had a complete blast, laughed a lot, loved the cheese and the fights were spectacular. It was basically "Fuck it, this is awesome and we're doing it" as far as plot goes, there were so many times where stuff kinda didn't make sense but was so awesome you overlooked it. I was smiling and chuckling so much at how crazy shit got at one point. Can't wait to see it again.

A+
^^^
Agree with this 100%. I didn't go for the plot; I went because it was just a big Giant Robot VS Big Alien Monsters slugfest (with a lot of funny character moments, which was unexpected but welcome); and yeah, the overall plot was just there as background - and if you try to think about it too hard, it doesn't really hold up; but it wasn't supposed to.)

I probably won't go see it again in the theatre; but I will get the Blu-Ray for sure.

Also be sure to stay through the end-credits as there is an easter egg that's absolutely hilarious (it might be groan worthy for some but I LOVED it - and it had me laughing loud.)
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2013, 05:45 AM   #69
Tulin
Vice Admiral

Can somebody please post what the easter eggs/post main credits stuff are?

I didn't stay as I heard there was nothing and cannot find any info out there about it.
Old July 14 2013, 05:55 AM   #70
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Can somebody please post what the easter eggs/post main credits stuff are?

I didn't stay as I heard there was nothing and cannot find any info out there about it.
Old July 14 2013, 06:28 AM   #71
DarKush
Rear Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
DarKush wrote: View Post
In an earlier post someone felt that the kaiju looked too similar, but I thought that was something of an explanation for that in the film. I did like how the film gave something of a reason for why the kaiju were invading Earth. It sets him a potential sequel. Hopefully the film will make enough to warrant one.
Yeah I understood the reasoning they gave, but I still think there was room in that explanation for more variety in design than we got.

Besides, it's the kind of movie where you kinda expect them to break a few rules for the sake of having something really cool on screen.
Fair enough. I did like the creatures that we got, but I would not have minded if there had been more and more variety as well. Same with more Jaegers.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2013, 06:28 AM   #72
Tulin
Vice Admiral

Oh - so that was the significance of the shoe abduction bit.
Old July 14 2013, 06:30 AM   #73
Tulin
Vice Admiral

And OdoWan Kenobi - when reading your sig, I cannot help but hear the theme song to the segment on Hollywood Babble-on, "....if it's not fucked up by Ryan Reynolds".

LMAO!!!!
Old July 14 2013, 01:36 PM   #74
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Those of you who hate anime won't understand or care.
I have no love for animé(hate is too strong a word), yet I LOVED PR, so your point is kind of nullified.
Or, you're the exception to the rule. I'll wait for more responses that are similar before I abandon my hypothesis.
Abandon it. I'm in the same boat as Tulin.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2013, 01:43 PM   #75
Gojira
Commodore

Goji wrote: View Post
I'm no fan of anime either, but I'm a huge Godzilla/Kaiju fan (my username is in fact derived from the Japanese name for Godzilla).
Same here on all points!