Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old July 13 2013, 07:52 AM   #31
Botany Bay
Commodore

View Botany Bay's Twitter Profile
Re: The Cage cast

Thanks guys for the amazing info - great thread. Almost ten years of posting here and I'm still learning new stuff about TOS.

Okay, so let's assume Roddenberry was avoiding giving the bad news to Goodwin by lying to her about her ongoing involvement with Star Trek (plausible). So what was the documented reason she was fired? NBC? I'm sure there was a memo on this, but my books are in boxes at the moment.
"Sometimes I get the feeling the only way we could achieve a STAR TREK segment on budget would be to have 60 minutes of Mr. Spock playing kazoo solo as Captain Kirk holds him in his arms while standing in a telephone booth."
Bob Justman, 1967.
Botany Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2013, 08:36 AM   #32
Harvey
Admiral

Inside Star Trek: The Real Story just says that NBC wasn't crazy about any of the actors in the first pilot except for Hunter and Nimoy. There's no mention of Goodwin and Nimoy being the actors the network okayed to advance to the second pilot. On the contrary, Solow recalls a meeting with Mort Werner where the NBC Programming VP said, "We also think you can do better with the ship's doctor, the yeoman, and other members of the crew" (P.60).

I'm also skeptical of the claim (from the Goodwin interview in Drive-In Dream Girls) that "after the pilot was complete, it was shown to all three networks, who passed on it. NBC, though, thought it had potential..." (P.41). There's no mention at all in the Solow/Justman book about showing the program to ABC or CBS; this wouldn't really make sense, since NBC financed much of it, and CBS had already passed on the series during a pitch meeting.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2013, 01:28 PM   #33
Botany Bay
Commodore

View Botany Bay's Twitter Profile

Cheers Harvey.

Blog looks great - bookmarked for future reference. Have always been fascinated by the behind the scenes stuff from TOS - glad to see there are others
"Sometimes I get the feeling the only way we could achieve a STAR TREK segment on budget would be to have 60 minutes of Mr. Spock playing kazoo solo as Captain Kirk holds him in his arms while standing in a telephone booth."
Bob Justman, 1967.
Botany Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2013, 01:36 PM   #34
Kamdan
Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for the link to the book. I enjoyed reading Goodwin's remarks about Majel Barrett. Roddenberry has been trying to play off the fact that the network objected to a woman second in command, when in reality the network objected to the actress in the role.
Kamdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2013, 02:56 PM   #35
Christopher
Writer

Botany Bay wrote: View Post
Okay, so let's assume Roddenberry was avoiding giving the bad news to Goodwin by lying to her about her ongoing involvement with Star Trek (plausible). So what was the documented reason she was fired?
"Fired" is too strong a word. After all, she was a pilot cast member. A pilot contract is for a one-time gig with an option to be hired for a series commitment if the pilot succeeds. They didn't fire her, they just chose not to pick up her option. And remember, they didn't keep any of the pilot cast except Nimoy, and they wanted to drop him too. (In fact, didn't they have to renegotiate for Nimoy since his contract didn't include an option for a second pilot?)

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2013, 06:24 PM   #36
alexianyc
Ensign

Kamdan wrote: View Post
Thanks for the link to the book. I enjoyed reading Goodwin's remarks about Majel Barrett. Roddenberry has been trying to play off the fact that the network objected to a woman second in command, when in reality the network objected to the actress in the role.
I found it interesting that apparently everyone knew about the relationship with Roddenberry. He wasn't exactly discreet, was he, LOL.

I like MB as Number One, but Goodwin's interview does support the idea that going forward with her as one of the leads really would not have been a good idea.
alexianyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2013, 06:33 PM   #37
Harvey
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
(In fact, didn't they have to renegotiate for Nimoy since his contract didn't include an option for a second pilot?)
They did. As I indicated up the thread, Nimoy signed his second Star Trek contract on June 2, 1965. His first contract had been signed some time late in 1964.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2013, 02:03 AM   #38
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Botany Bay wrote: View Post
When Gene Roddenberry was asked about this non-part, he allegedly said : "I only hired her because I wanted to score with her."

He must have wanted that score pretty bad to promise her third lead
That bit of apocrypha is from Inside Star Trek, and it's just one of the many anecdotes related, but which are hard to prove.

As to the contracts and actors who were not brought back, it's inaccurate to say that any of the actors were "fired". Second pilots are rare, and contracts (at least in the past) would not have included them (and there are practical reasons an actor would not wish to be tied to such a requirement). When the first pilot didn't sell, all the contracts were effectively terminated, which is why they could not compel Hunter to return and had to sign a new contract with Nimoy. The studio had no option on the actors and likely would have had to negotiate new contracts had they wanted any of them to continue. Since NBC didn't like most of the cast, this wasn't going to happen.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2013, 03:26 AM   #39
Bad Atom
Commodore

View Bad Atom's Twitter Profile

Very rare to hear anyone speak ill of Majel Barrett. Despite any issues with her relationship with Roddenberry, by most accounts she was an extremely nice person.
Bad Atom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2013, 03:32 AM   #40
Sir Rhosis
Commodore

^^^I don't take it as being out and out "ill" -- it comes across more as "gossipy" to me. YMMV

Sir Rhosis

Read "Origins" at http://www.orionpressfanzines.com/articles/origins.htm
Sir Rhosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2013, 03:33 AM   #41
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

Bad Atom wrote: View Post
Very rare to hear anyone speak ill of Majel Barrett. Despite any issues with her relationship with Roddenberry, by most accounts she was an extremely nice person.
That doesn't mean she had the charisma and talent to carry a TV series, which is what lead actors have to do.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2013, 03:34 AM   #42
Bad Atom
Commodore

View Bad Atom's Twitter Profile

Sir Rhosis wrote: View Post
^^^I don't take it as being out and out "ill" -- it comes across more as "gossipy" to me. YMMV

Sir Rhosis
True. Amazing that's there's still new gossip to be found after all these years though.
Bad Atom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 03:10 AM   #43
Navigator_NCC2120
Captain

Since we are on the subject of the "The Cage cast" I was reading actor Malachi Throne's biography at the imdb website today and found this (here is the link):

He had memorable appearances as "Falseface" on the Batman TV series and provided the voice of "The Keeper" for "The Cage", the pilot episode of the "Star Trek" (1966) series. He turned down an offer to be a regular cast member on that show, rejecting the part of Dr. McCoy as he did not want to play third fiddle to William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy. Producer Gene Roddenberry, who had offered him the role of "Bones" McCoy, was not offended by Throne turning him down, and cast him as "Commodore Mendez" in the two-part episode "The Menagerie", which included most of the original pilot, although by then The Keeper's voice had been re-dubbed by another actor. He also later played "Senator Pardac" in the "Star Trek: The Next Generation" two-part episode "Unification," appearing with Leonard Nimoy, whose Mr. Spock was the role he had coveted a generation before.
I never knew GR offered the role of Dr. McCoy to Throne or that Throne had coveted the Mr. Spock role in TOS. Does anyone know the source for this?

Navigator NCC-2120 USS Entente
/\
Harvey Holroyd: [to himself] God, I miss that show. (Source: "Serial", 1980.)
Navigator_NCC2120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 03:40 AM   #44
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

Navigator_NCC2120 wrote: View Post
I never knew GR offered the role of Dr. McCoy to Throne or that Throne had coveted the Mr. Spock role in TOS. Does anyone know the source for this?

It's in Throne's STARLOG interview (Issue 190, May 1993).
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 03:48 AM   #45
Navigator_NCC2120
Captain

ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
Navigator_NCC2120 wrote: View Post

It's in Throne's STARLOG interview (Issue 190, May 1993).
Thanks ZapBrannigan. Are there any other sources that can corroborate this, besides Malachi Throne? Herb Solow, Bob Justman, Gene Roddenberry, Leonard Nimoy, etc?

Navigator NCC-2120 USS Entente
/\
Harvey Holroyd: [to himself] God, I miss that show. (Source: "Serial", 1980.)
Navigator_NCC2120 is offline   Reply With Quote