Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old July 13 2013, 08:41 PM   #1
amickschl15
Cadet

View amickschl15's Twitter Profile
Is there a recipe for becoming a trekkie?

Hello everyone, I'm new, and there's a few things I want to know. i just got into Star Trek about 6 months ago, and I don't confess to be a trekkie. I know I have quite a long way to go! But my question is, is there a special method to becoming a trekkie? Is it just watching episodes frequently, or following the franchise? Someday I hope to be able to call myself a trekkie, (Even though 99.9% of my friends couldn't care less about Star Trek!) and I want to know an efficient and effective way to achieve it! Any ideas? Where should I start?
amickschl15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2013, 08:48 PM   #2
StolenThunder
Poster

Re: Is there a recipe for becoming a trekkie?

I think it involves a drug screen and a bribe.

Just keep watching!
StolenThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2013, 08:50 PM   #3
marksound
Fleet Captain

If you enjoy watching Star Trek and don't deny it in public, you're a Trekkie.

There's no initiation, no dues, no test. We come in all shapes, sizes, colors, intensity of enthusiasm, etc.

Just enjoy it and be yourself.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2013, 09:02 PM   #4
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Watch Star Trek. Enjoy it. Repeat.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2013, 09:09 PM   #5
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

In a medium skillet, bring a half-stick of awesome to a nice sautÚ. As the awesome starts to brown, mix in the traditional mirepoix of pedant carrots, pessimistic onion, and verbose celery.

Store in a cool place away from sunlight.

Serve with a modest helping of collectables and paraphernalia.

Garnish with a sombrero.
Old July 13 2013, 09:13 PM   #6
marksound
Fleet Captain

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
In a medium skillet, bring a half-stick of awesome to a nice sautÚ. As the awesome starts to brown, mix in the traditional mirepoix of pedant carrots, pessimistic onion, and verbose celery.

Store in a cool place away from sunlight.

Serve with a modest helping of collectables and paraphernalia.

Garnish with a sombrero.
Sombrero. Nice touch.
Old July 13 2013, 09:37 PM   #7
YellowSubmarine
Commodore

The more Trek shows and films you vehemently hate, the better Trekkie status you achieve. As long as you regard one of them as the one and only true Trek that follows Gene's vision (preferably The Original Series or The Next Generation, but with enough passion anything will do, really). It is also a neat trick to avoid having to watch more than one.

Develop some selective amnesia - conveniently forget any episodes of your favourite series that weren't any good, and never acknowledge their existence. IMDB is also a nice source of Trekkieness. Pick the episode of any series rated in the top 10, and start a thread slamming it as overrated and not really that good. That gives you bonus points that fire you directly into Trekkiehood.

Oh, you mean a trekkie like someone who actually enjoys Star Trek? How quaint. It's a rare thing these days.
Old July 13 2013, 09:44 PM   #8
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

amickschl15 wrote: View Post
Hello everyone, I'm new, and there's a few things I want to know. i just got into Star Trek about 6 months ago, and I don't confess to be a trekkie. I know I have quite a long way to go! But my question is, is there a special method to becoming a trekkie? Is it just watching episodes frequently, or following the franchise? Someday I hope to be able to call myself a trekkie, (Even though 99.9% of my friends couldn't care less about Star Trek!) and I want to know an efficient and effective way to achieve it! Any ideas? Where should I start?
Well, my personal experience is have a brother and father that are obsessed with it.

The qualities that I found enriched Star Trek for me as an adult are as follows:

-- Contemplate the cosmos. Have a knowledge about the history of the space program and have some enthusiasm for it. If you wanted to be an astronaut, even if you know nothing about science, even better. Imagine what it would be like to live in Star Trek's world where we know there's alien life on other planets. Consider the politics, and social effects, of having that life in the history of humanity. Think about how to communicate with something that doesn't look or act like us. Think about how you would handle being in space for all that time. These are questions the writers handle.

-- Have a passing understanding of the social sciences, science, arts, and literature. Yes, these are astronauts, but they also deal in psychology, sociology, philosophy, literature, and they are learned enough, both the characters and the writers, to have a 101 level discussion about each. These are some of the richest moments of the series. If you want just a shoot-em-up Sci-Fi show, Star Trek pales in comparison (because it's so old) to other series. If they reference something you do not know about, take some time to do a Google search, or better yet, read up on it. Star Trek can be a gateway into learning.

-- Contemplate History. There are tons of references within Star Trek. It deepens the material (and sometimes you see things coming) when they make references. Think about Star Trek as a living history of the world. You are seeing history as it happens. Know something about the colonization of the Americas. That's the new world we've actually explored.

-- As with all television and literature, have some understanding of dramatic structure. Know when they are talking to the themes of the show, Star Trek puts it in dialogue which is why it's not critically acclaimed, and that will make it easy to understand. Think about what's a good episode's structure and a bad one. But, then again, this goes for all television.

--Love the characters. Take each character and learn something about them. Remember, there's going to be a lot of Trek that doesn't serve the story (not my favorite Trek), but is simply background into who these people are. They are clearly defined characters that have differences because Star Trek wants to "take delight" in differences.

-- Find someone to discuss the show with. Moral dilemmas, dramatic moments, historical, scientific, and social references, all of it is discussed on here some 20 years since the majority of Trek has gone away. There's a reason for that. Contemplate the episode, see what you can get out of it, put your opinion out there, and have an open mind enough to hear someone else's take on it. Trekbbs can do this. It's better to have friends (as I did) that watch the show with you.

I don't know if you want to do all of that, but that's what keeps me coming back to Star Trek. I have watched since I was 5-years-old and it still feeds my mind.
HaventGotALife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2013, 09:50 PM   #9
marksound
Fleet Captain

Yeah, all that stuff isn't necessary to be a Trekkie.

If you want to be an Uber Nerd, well ...
Old July 13 2013, 09:56 PM   #10
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

Carcazoid wrote: View Post
Yeah, all that stuff isn't necessary to be a Trekkie.

If you want to be an Uber Nerd, well ...
True. I think someone said it up-thread. Like Star Trek and watch. Don't deny it in public.
HaventGotALife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2013, 09:57 PM   #11
Pondwater
Fleet Captain

Be conceived and born into Trekkieness.
Pondwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2013, 10:06 PM   #12
Portal
Commander

Isn't one of the ingredients living in your parent's basement when you're over 18? Don't you have to have some weirdness about you?
Portal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2013, 10:09 PM   #13
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

Pondwater wrote: View Post
Born into Trekkieness
I think you just uncovered the title of the next film.
Old July 13 2013, 10:10 PM   #14
marksound
Fleet Captain

Portal wrote: View Post
Isn't one of the ingredients living in your parent's basement when you're over 18? Don't you have to have some weirdness about you?
In the dictionary, next to "Oh Dear Lord, No!"

Not necessary for Trekkie-ism.
Old July 13 2013, 10:14 PM   #15
Zion Ravescene
is doing this now

Pondwater wrote: View Post
Be conceived and born into Trekkieness.

Some are born into Trekkieness. Some others achieve Trekkieness. Others still have Trekkieness thrust upon them.

For me, it was the will of the miditricorderians that conceived my trekkieness into existence. That, and watching Star Trek III many times.

Zion Ravescene is offline   Reply With Quote