Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old July 12 2013, 01:32 AM   #61
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Re: What does 'nu' mean?

I'm just gonna call it Star Trek.
Old July 12 2013, 07:58 AM   #62
Cyrus
Rear Admiral

El Segundo Universe
Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 10:55 AM   #63
saddestmoon
Lieutenant Commander

PNIR (Post Nero Incursion Reality)

PRENIR (Pre Nero Incursion Reality eg: TOS)

PTIR (Post Temporal Incursion Reality)

NALT-Real (Nero Altered Reality)

PTA (Post Temporal Anomaly)

SANS-GK-R (Post George Kirk Reality)

NI (NARADA INCURSION)

STV (Sans-Vulcan Timeline)

and so on... [wink!]

Yep - Star Trek works for me also!

Last edited by saddestmoon; July 13 2013 at 10:38 AM.
saddestmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 01:48 PM   #64
Opus
Commodore

AT - Abrams Trek or Alternate Trek

AUT - Alternate Universe Trek
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 03:12 PM   #65
B.J.
Rear Admiral

^ or even Trek Alternate Universe or The Alternate Universe, TAU. It even has its own symbol: τ
Old July 12 2013, 03:40 PM   #66
Christopher
Writer

Again, any "Alternate Universe/Reality" labels will only work in the short term, until someone starts up another alternate Trek continuity. The goal is to find something useful in the long term -- something that isn't tied to the current perception or state of the thing, or the current involvement of any individual, but something longer-term, something that will still work 20 or 30 years from now regardless of what might happen in the interim.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 03:56 PM   #67
TheSubCommander
Captain

Oddly, I always thought 'NU' stood for New Universe as well, but also was a play on the trendy alt spelling of the word new, too. Sort of like a double entendre.
Shazam! wrote: View Post
I'm slightly disappointed that NUhura never took off when referring to the character...
LOL!
TheSubCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 06:09 PM   #68
Opus
Commodore

Well, I'm going with TOS, TOS Movies, BermanTrek, and JJTrek. I think people understand those even if they're not officially sanctioned.
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 11:48 PM   #69
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Again, any "Alternate Universe/Reality" labels will only work in the short term, until someone starts up another alternate Trek continuity.
I don't see the problem with this. We'll manage that when we get to it.

The goal is to find something useful in the long term -- something that isn't tied to the current perception or state of the thing, or the current involvement of any individual, but something longer-term something that will still work 20 or 30 years from now regardless of what might happen in the interim.
I understand the desire to create a classification system that is all-powerful and all-encompassing. I really do. But it just isn't possible. The classification we have now is already fraught with anomalies and alterations.

TOS is actually called just Star Trek, so TOS is just sort of a glorified nickname;
TNG refers to it status as sequel of the first series, but it's inherently bound to obsolescence: what about the next next generation?
DS9 unlike any other, has a number in it. why not DSN?
VOY and ENT aren't really acronyms, just shorthands.

I mean, where is the coherence? The robustness of it? The 3-letter rule seems the only constant here.
Old July 13 2013, 12:04 AM   #70
Christopher
Writer

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
Again, any "Alternate Universe/Reality" labels will only work in the short term, until someone starts up another alternate Trek continuity.
I don't see the problem with this. We'll manage that when we get to it.
I'm not saying it's a problem. It's just not what I'm looking for. The specific thing I'm wondering, as I've already explained, is what a more timeless, long-term designation might be.

I understand the desire to create a classification system that is all-powerful and all-encompassing. I really do. But it just isn't possible. The classification we have now is already fraught with anomalies and alterations.

TOS is actually called just Star Trek, so TOS is just sort of a glorified nickname;
TNG refers to it status as sequel of the first series, but it's inherently bound to obsolescence: what about the next next generation?
DS9 unlike any other, has a number in it. why not DSN?
VOY and ENT aren't really acronyms, just shorthands.

I mean, where is the coherence? The robustness of it? The 3-letter rule seems the only constant here.
But it's not about individual series, it's about the universes they inhabit. Bad Robot has given us this nice, handy label for the original continuity, the Prime Universe. Which is a fairly nice parallel for the name of other continuing timeline we have in Trek, the Mirror Universe. I'd just like to have a similarly straightforward and effective label for the third enduring reality that's now been introduced, one that won't become obsolete when a fourth one comes along.

And really, I don't understand why some people have gotten the idea that this is a search for acronyms. I'm looking for actual words.

But I'm just playing with ideas. I'm just wondering, or wishing. If you don't want to play the game, fine, no harm, no foul. But I'm still looking for what I'm looking for.

Old July 13 2013, 01:14 AM   #71
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Tosk wrote: View Post
Although didn't the "official" designations all start out as fandom ones?

TOS, TAS, TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT, ...ALT?
When the old pre-Internet newsgroups and BBS were all we that we had, I recall "Star Trek Classic" (STC) being used by many fans to distinguish the original series from Filmation's animated series (STA). It hadn't been all that long since the USA had its New Coke vs Coke Classic debates. About that time, David Gerrold was auctioning off cans of original Coke (not just Coke Classic) in SF convention charity auctions.

Then along came "The Next Generation". And STC seemingly morphed into the more catchy TOS, and STA became TAS, perhaps to conform with TOS.

So the concept of "nuTrek" may well have its roots in that. Trek Classic vs New Trek.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2013, 03:47 AM   #72
Tiberius
Commodore

NU = Nyota Uhura
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2013, 11:09 AM   #73
F. King Daniel
Admiral

nuTrek = not ur (father's) (Star) Trek
Old July 13 2013, 02:24 PM   #74
I am not Spock
Commodore

Again, any "Alternate Universe/Reality" labels will only work in the short term, until someone starts up another alternate Trek continuity. The goal is to find something useful in the long term -- something that isn't tied to the current perception or state of the thing, or the current involvement of any individual, but something longer-term, something that will still work 20 or 30 years from now regardless of what might happen in the interim.
Something like 'the Abramsverse' or simply 'the Abrams era'?

Or maybe the Bad Robot era.
Old July 13 2013, 02:46 PM   #75
Christopher
Writer

I am not Spock wrote: View Post
Something like 'the Abramsverse' or simply 'the Abrams era'?

Or maybe the Bad Robot era.
I've addressed this several times already. The new continuity is currently being produced by Abrams and Bad Robot. We don't know if that will always be the case. After all, anything that anyone creates in the Trek universe is ultimately the property of CBS, so other creators can use it in future productions. Filmation Associates produced the animated series, but the Paramount-produced sequel shows were able to mention names and concepts from it ("Unification" referenced "Yesteryear," DS9 used TAS's name for Kor's 23rd-century warship, etc.) By the same token, Bad Robot is producing the current Trek movies, but it doesn't own them. CBS and Paramount share the copyright and CBS holds all the trademarks. (Which actually puts Bad Robot in a lesser position than Filmation, since Filmation actually did hold a copyright to TAS along with Roddenberry's Norway Productions. But Filmation no longer exists and Roddenberry sold Norway's Trek rights to Paramount sometime between TAS and TMP.)

So it's entirely possible that at some point in the future, someone other than Bad Robot will produce films or TV series set in the Nero-created timeline. So I'd prefer a name that doesn't specify any given creator or production company, something that's just about the timeline itself and its content or its relationship to the others.