Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old July 12 2013, 09:37 AM   #16
Orac Zen
Mischief Manager

Re: The Ashes 2013

I stopped watching when we subsided to 9 down and woke up to discover that yet again I'd missed all the action. Great stuff from Agar and Hughes; hopefully their efforts won't go to waste.

Cook's wicket will be vital - the earlier the better, and ditto for the arrogant dickhead he's currently batting with. I can't imagine them being as charitable with their wickets a second time.
Old July 12 2013, 01:18 PM   #17
Botany Bay
Commodore

View Botany Bay's Twitter Profile

Captain Cook and arrogand dickhead both despatched, so Session 1, Day 3 goes to the tourists. England are 4/157, leading by 92, with a very frustrated Bell and Bairstow seeing off a reverse swing barrage from Pattinson just before lunch.

Very pleasing to see Agar get his first test wicket, finding the edge of Cook to give Clarke a very sharp slips catch. This is a bit of a worry as well, as Swann will be using the same patch to turn it away from our lefties. Anyway, Agar looks like he will cause a lot of trouble with his height. I must say the spinners I always hated were the tall ones who could get bounce, and Ashton, in the right conditions will be a handful.

Adding to the difficulty of the emerging rough patches, the wicket looks to be completely dead already. I would want to see Bell and Prior go before tea. I think anything over 150 would be very tough for us to chase.

A big test of patience for Bell and Bairstow coming up.

One major negative for us though - Clarke and Haddin have wasted both of our referrals with utterly pointless reviews. I wish he would just stick to reviewing the howlers. The way the umpiring has been in this game you just know there is going to be a vital plumb LBW after lunch that is given not out, and we will be powerless to do a thing about it.
"Sometimes I get the feeling the only way we could achieve a STAR TREK segment on budget would be to have 60 minutes of Mr. Spock playing kazoo solo as Captain Kirk holds him in his arms while standing in a telephone booth."
Bob Justman, 1967.
Botany Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 03:50 PM   #18
Botany Bay
Commodore

England 6/230 at Tea with Bell 56* and Broad 1*. Lead is 165.

Thank god we got rid of Prior in that session, he was taking the game away from us. Overall though, I'd give that session to England. Taking the new ball didn't work for us, and Pattinson and Starc bowled poorly for mine.

Have to give Bell some serious credit for his 56 from 134 balls - an innings very few of our team could play, and his wicket is just so vital after tea.

So how confident should we be of chasing down 200? Not very. Here is the list of highest successful chases at Trent Bridge :

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/eng...m;view=innings
"Sometimes I get the feeling the only way we could achieve a STAR TREK segment on budget would be to have 60 minutes of Mr. Spock playing kazoo solo as Captain Kirk holds him in his arms while standing in a telephone booth."
Bob Justman, 1967.
Old July 12 2013, 06:31 PM   #19
Botany Bay
Commodore

England 215 & 326/6 (133.0 ov)
Australia 280
England lead by 261 runs with 4 wickets remaining
Bell 95* Broad 47*.

All the debate will be over Dar's inexplicable not out decision in the favour of Broad when he basically middled it to first slip off Agar, but you cannot speak highly enough about Bell's innings in the conditions and circumstances of the match.

England solid favourites from here.
Bob Justman, 1967.
Old July 13 2013, 08:37 AM   #20
Orac Zen
Mischief Manager

I'm almost beginning to wonder if India have a point about the DRS (not something I ever imagined I've ever think or type). My understanding is that it was introduced to (at best) eliminate or (at worst) greatly minimise the sort of howler we saw overnight, but instead it seems to be employed to adjudicate line-ball lbws and to produce the sort of decision we saw the day before. How the hell Trott could possibly have been given out is beyond my ability to comprehend. The fact the third umpire is powerless to do anything about the sort of situation Dar found himself in is absurd, but there it is.

To compound the stupidity, former England captain Nasser Hussein apparently described Broad's decision not to walk as "courageous". I'm sure an Australian who did likewise would be described as gutless by the same individual. Whatever. No one walks any more and that's all there is to it, really.

Anyway. We need to move on and we need to do so very quickly. England probably need only another 40-50 runs to have the game in the bag unless Clarke can produce something truly exceptional.
Old July 13 2013, 10:24 AM   #21
Llama
Captain

Agar from the colonies seems to have really gelled with his team mates and is set for a memorable first Ashes with both bat and ball. My wife thinks he's kind of petrie, a dish even.

Seriously though, I've been impressed with the 19 year old, and with a deteriating pitch he could pick up a five-for this innings...umpires willing...

PS - an amazing test match so far, who would watch T20 crap over this???
Old July 13 2013, 10:27 AM   #22
Orac Zen
Mischief Manager

Llama wrote: View Post
PS - an amazing test match so far, who would watch T20 crap over this???
Only complete and utter cretins with the attention span of a gnat.

IMO, of course.
Old July 13 2013, 01:14 PM   #23
Botany Bay
Commodore

England 215 & 375
Australia 280 & 28/0 (7.0 ov)
Australia require another 283 runs to win.

Our session, with the England tail knocked over cheaply the first hurdle of getting to lunch with the openers intact cleared.

The acid test will be Swann after lunch, those footmarks outside the left handers off stump look nasty.

As for T20 versus tests, well, it's no contest. I can remember incidents from probably 100 test matches I've watched over the years, but I would be struggling to remember a single T20 game.

I will be very interested in how night tests rate in Australia. I have no doubt they will pull some serious numbers, and could lead to an expanded test program, which would be nice. T20's won't go anywhere with the dollars involved, but 50/50 cricket fans should savour the next World Cup, I think Kerry Packer's brainchild will be the format to make way if night tests take off.
Bob Justman, 1967.
Old July 13 2013, 01:35 PM   #24
Llama
Captain

Not sure i like the idea of night tests, but then I'm a bit of a purist (I also like my footy on Saturday arvos). But if they make test cricket more popular with the great unwashed then let's give it a try.

Re: this test, we got the Poms out for about as few as possible given yesterday, although I would have preferred to be chasing less than 300 just for the psychological aspect. I still think the total is a (Trent)bridge too far, but the openers have gotten us off to a good start (well they didn't go out before lunch at least)
Old July 13 2013, 03:56 PM   #25
Botany Bay
Commodore

Tea, Day 4 :
England 215 & 375
Australia 280 & 111/2 (36.4 ov)
Australia require another 200 runs with 8 wickets remaining.

The session was ours till a nervous Cowan played a horrible drive to get caught off part-timer Joe Root. I feel for Cowan, he was arguably our best player in India, but he's long odds to get another test for Australia if we go down here, and he batted like he knew it.

Watson, it seems, is a very slow learner, reviewing an LBW that he didn't hit and wasting a review so early in the chase. There have been some jaw droppingly bad umpiring decisions - would prefer to still have both reviews intact. Twatto looked good today, but, alas, big hundreds win tests, not attractive 40's.

Thrilled to see Rogers bring up his maiden test fifty at the age of 36. He is now so vital. Must bat well into tomorrow and score a big hundred.

Sliver of hope : Swann has bowled a lot of four balls (for him), and the turn he's getting is deathly slow.
Bob Justman, 1967.
Old July 13 2013, 06:47 PM   #26
Botany Bay
Commodore

Stumps, Day 4 : AUS 174/6 (71.0 ov) Australia require another 137 runs with 4 wickets remaining.

Another session, another selfish, wasted decision review from an Australian, this time from Clarke who fell to Broad for 23, caught behind by Prior. Seriously someone needs to sit him, Haddin and Watson down and explain that it is there to save you from a shocking decision, not for gaming the system, like he tried to do here. Seriously, how he could do this after the Broad incident yesterday just beggars belief. He and Watson may be elite cricketers, but all the evidence points to them being selfish brats and as thick as two planks of wood. Frustrating beyond belief.

Rogers was outfoxed, spooning an Anderson slower ball to midwicket after a fighting fifty. Smith and Hughes both fell LBW to cracking deliveries from Swann, but to my eyes the Hughes one was pitching outside leg, however "Hawkeye" disagreed, and Australia's promising chase was in ruins.

So, we have Agar, Haddin, and no reviews left, and need 137 with four wickets left, and the new ball looming. Lehmann promised Australia would play entertaining cricket on his watch - maybe he will let Agar swing from the hip when the ball is hard - that's about our best chance now.
Bob Justman, 1967.
Old July 13 2013, 10:43 PM   #27
Llama
Captain

Well Agar's only 99 runs from his first test century. No one thought we'd post a first innings lead, so who knows what's possible?

Got to admit I was pleasantly surprised that the game has made it to the fifth day.
Old July 14 2013, 08:18 AM   #28
Orac Zen
Mischief Manager

So again we work ourselves into a useful position, then fall in a heap within a few overs.

I reckon it'll all be over within an hour this evening.
Old July 14 2013, 08:25 AM   #29
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Given how close the opening test has been, I wonder how Beefy's feeling about his 10-0 prediction.....?!
Old July 14 2013, 09:18 AM   #30
Llama
Captain

Until we lose our first wicket tonight, I chose to be optimistic