Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old July 9 2013, 02:45 AM   #211
Nick086
Commander

Re: creepy encounters with cashiers

sonak wrote: View Post
Nick086 wrote: View Post
I have seen some customers get on their cell phones purposely so they wouldn't have to communicate to the cashier since they found what they were looking to purchase. There are some that act like they own the store and can do anything they want to. It seem to me some cashiers that go over and beyond end up getting the dismissive and condescending attitude. When they don't get that kind of cashier they complain to the Supervisor or Manager that cashier wasn't being courteous and professional.

again, it's up to the customer. There's no rule that just because you go to a store you MUST chat with the cashier. I just don't understand that attitude. And a lack of a desire to chit-chat still doesn't excuse rude behavior from the cashier. When I was a cashier, my attitude was to follow the lead of the customer. I would just greet them politely, and if they didn't want to talk, or were on their phone, distracted or whatever, I just went off of that.
No there isn't a rule, but I wasn't talking about chit chatting about the weather persay, but giving informing to a customer about an item they were looking for asking about. I'm so good with being short with the customers they thinking I'm being dismissive and oh I also like to be condescending.
"Just think, you'll be married to a woman who knows everything about sex. I never been with a woman like that, except of course bar girls. Not that Peggy's a bar girl, no, she just...knows what a bar girl...knows" -Bill Dauterive (King Of The Hill)
Nick086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2013, 03:52 AM   #212
R. Star
Rear Admiral

People talking on phones in public places, especially stores and checkout lines, is rude. Not only is it disrespectful to the person right in your face, but it slows the people behind you(me) down because they have to sit there and wait on you unload your cart so slow the cashier is waiting on you, to pay for said groceries after you finally look up from your own little world to notice they're waiting on you to pay, and to get out of the way once you finally realized your groceries are bagged. It's bad enough you're taking up the whole aisle while you're shopping because you're chatting away on your phone, but you have to clusterfuck the registers too? Yet when you get called on how selfish you're being, you have the audacity to say others are being rude. Yeah right.
Old July 9 2013, 02:24 PM   #213
sonak
Vice Admiral

R. Star wrote: View Post
People talking on phones in public places, especially stores and checkout lines, is rude. Not only is it disrespectful to the person right in your face, but it slows the people behind you(me) down because they have to sit there and wait on you unload your cart so slow the cashier is waiting on you, to pay for said groceries after you finally look up from your own little world to notice they're waiting on you to pay, and to get out of the way once you finally realized your groceries are bagged. It's bad enough you're taking up the whole aisle while you're shopping because you're chatting away on your phone, but you have to clusterfuck the registers too? Yet when you get called on how selfish you're being, you have the audacity to say others are being rude. Yeah right.

wow, ANY public place? So you can only use your phone from your own house or of another private residence?

Er, what's the point of a MOBILE phone if you can't use it in a mall, a bus, a store, etc. Might as well have a land line.

At any rate, talking on the phone during a purchase MAY slow one down and it may not. As I wrote earlier, small cash transactions wouldn't likely go any slower if the customer was on the phone. Considering typical customer behavior anyway(people bringing more items than allowed in express lines, for example) it's probably no more of an effect on efficiency than a lot of other things.
Old July 9 2013, 06:38 PM   #214
Nick086
Commander

I've heard other customers say stuff about customers on their cellphones in the store, I have seen customers on their cellphones get in the way when they are texting on their cellphone. They don't watch where there going.
"Just think, you'll be married to a woman who knows everything about sex. I never been with a woman like that, except of course bar girls. Not that Peggy's a bar girl, no, she just...knows what a bar girl...knows" -Bill Dauterive (King Of The Hill)
Old July 9 2013, 08:18 PM   #215
Yoda
Rear Admiral

Bah, customers don't watch where they're going regardless of whether they're on the phone or not. Some people are like moths, they see something in a store and will make a bee-line towards it oblivious to their surroundings. Or they'll park their shopping cart in a way to block as much traffic as possible.

I agree that talking on your phone while dealing with a cashier is rude. If you can't handle walking around a store while talking on the phone and not getting in everyone's way, you probably can't handle it while not on the phone either.
Old July 9 2013, 08:27 PM   #216
publiusr
Commodore

When these eyewearable computers become all the rage, I foresee a spike in purse snatchings/pickpocketing. They will never see it go down.
publiusr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2013, 09:57 PM   #217
sonak
Vice Admiral

Nick086 wrote: View Post
I've heard other customers say stuff about customers on their cellphones in the store, I have seen customers on their cellphones get in the way when they are texting on their cellphone. They don't watch where there going.

the ones that get me are those who text while they're crossing a busy street. I mean, yeah it may be a crosswalk, but how about a little awareness of where you are?
Old July 11 2013, 06:33 PM   #218
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
For me its about the other customers. They shouldn't have to wait, because the person ahead of them in line is oblivious to the fact he needs to participate in the transaction occurring.
I was behind this person in line once. She kept talking (rather loudly) facing away from the cashier as the cashier was trying to get her attention. I bumped her with my cart and asked her to take a break from helping her daughter with her homework and pay her bill. I also suggested she speak softer next time, because everyone around her knew her business.

She paid her bill muttering about how people should just mind their own business.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 08:52 PM   #219
Nick086
Commander

Vendikarr wrote: View Post
For me its about the other customers. They shouldn't have to wait, because the person ahead of them in line is oblivious to the fact he needs to participate in the transaction occurring.
I was behind this person in line once. She kept talking (rather loudly) facing away from the cashier as the cashier was trying to get her attention. I bumped her with my cart and asked her to take a break from helping her daughter with her homework and pay her bill. I also suggested she speak softer next time, because everyone around her knew her business.

She paid her bill muttering about how people should just mind their own business.
Good thing it wasn't me I would of called her the five letter word along with the F bomb with the ing outloud right in her face about she should not keep people behide her waiting
Old July 12 2013, 10:09 PM   #220
MacLeod
Admiral

Vendikarr wrote: View Post

Perhpas she shouldn't go around broadcasting her buisness for all and sundry to hear then.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 10:27 PM   #221
marksound
Fleet Captain

It's a good rule of thumb to be polite to people in public places, even the stupid ones.

That said, the general public is why I try not to go into retail stores during peak business hours. Or at all, if I can avoid it.

I have trouble being polite to stupid people.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 11:01 PM   #222
MacLeod
Admiral

You must adore internet shopping then.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
Old July 12 2013, 11:25 PM   #223
marksound
Fleet Captain

Carcazoid wrote: View Post
It's a good rule of thumb to be polite to people in public places, even the stupid ones.

That said, the general public is why I try not to go into retail stores during peak business hours. Or at all, if I can avoid it.

I have trouble being polite to stupid people.
MacLeod wrote: View Post
You must adore internet shopping then.
Whatever would give you that idea?
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2013, 04:33 AM   #224
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

I was in our local grocery store [during the election season last year]. I was in the express checkout line when a black, older woman wearing an Obama knit cap jumped the line right in front of me. When I told her I was already in line, she informed me that had only stepped out to find another item. She had evidently taken her cart with her, of which I reminded her. She loudly proclaimed that she paid her taxes and had every right to be there. [I guess it didn't matter that I pay my taxes, too!]

Even the other customers told her she was being rude. I told her that she should be ashamed of herself and that she made the rest of us who voted for President Obama look bad. Then, before she could reply, I told her to please stop embarrassing us and replace that hat with a Romney one!

To her credit, the cashier told her to get behind me so she could check out customers who were in line before her. The old hag left in a huff! Score one for good manners.

FAIR NOTICE OF PROPER CREDIT DUE: I was telling my godson about this thread. He told me to post this incident, because I had told him about it at the time.
Old July 13 2013, 06:59 AM   #225
MacLeod
Admiral

I think you'll find a fair few cashiers will send someone to the back of the queue for queue jumping if they spot it.

Queue jumping is of course a big no-no (in the UK).