Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 13 2013, 05:12 AM   #106
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'

Re: Why The Hate For Superman Returns?

Since it was a continuation of the first two Superman films, they had to stay in character with the Superman who when asked what color panties Lois was wearing leered intently, got bummed out that the planter she was standing behind was made of lead, and then continued to stare even after the conversation had moved on until he could finally see them. He's kind of a Super-Perv. We won't even get into his Super-Roofie Kiss after having sex with Lois or the fact that the logo on his chest turns into a giant throwable condom, which he clearly didn't use with Lois.

I kid, I kid.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2013, 05:12 AM   #107
Yminale
Rear Admiral

I don't get this. Superman snaps Zod's neck and people shrug. Superman check up on Lois Lane and he's some evil stalker. I don't get it.
Old July 13 2013, 05:31 AM   #108
AllStarEntprise
Fleet Captain

Well one he did in defense of the human race. As Zod was an unrepentant killer of humans and threatened to kill more humans.

The other was a situation created by Superman's own action of leaving earth for 5 years and not even saying goodbye to the so called love of his life. The world didn't stop Supes. It moved on without you as did Lois. Get over it.

Honestly the whole Superson thing is a gimmick you could see being introduced as the last part of a trilogy. Not the beginning of a soft reboot like SR. Seeing where they were going to take it in the sequel to SR that never happened. Makes the idea even more shallow and stupid.
AllStarEntprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2013, 05:33 AM   #109
Dream
Admiral

What if Lois had been naked and taking a shower? Would Superman have kept staring until she was done, or would he have immediately looked away?
Old July 13 2013, 05:38 AM   #110
AllStarEntprise
Fleet Captain

^You don't think Supes was afraid to kick Cyclops' teeth in do you?

Haha
AllStarEntprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2013, 06:12 AM   #111
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
the logo on his chest turns into a giant throwable condom, which he clearly didn't use with Lois.
That's hot.
Old July 13 2013, 11:24 AM   #112
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Yminale wrote: View Post
I don't get this. Superman snaps Zod's neck and people shrug. Superman check up on Lois Lane and he's some evil stalker. I don't get it.
You honestly don't see the difference between killing a man who's hell-bent on killing others and continuing to do so and spying on a woman in the privacy of her own home when she's done nothing more than lived her life?
Old July 13 2013, 11:49 AM   #113
USS Firefly
Commander

What Brandon Routh did very good was the difference between Clark and Superman.
At the end of MOS when we first saw journalist Clark, I didn't see any difference between him and Superman
USS Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2013, 12:18 PM   #114
DarKush
Rear Admiral

^
I don't think there was supposed to be a difference between Clark and Superman in MOS. The idea of Clark is the real person with Superman just being Clark in the suit is the dominant take on Superman now. Whereas SR was calling back the Reeve films where Clark was a disguise and Superman was the real person, which had been the dominant take pre-Crisis/John Byrne.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2013, 12:41 PM   #115
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
You honestly don't see the difference between killing a man who's hell-bent on killing others and continuing to do so and spying on a woman in the privacy of her own home when she's done nothing more than lived her life?
Secretly observing someone is worse than murder?
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2013, 01:34 PM   #116
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

How would it be *murder* ? If Zod was out cold and he stamped on his head killing him you would have s point but the law generally doesn't consider it murder if you are acting in self defence or the defence of others.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2013, 01:45 PM   #117
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'

USS Firefly wrote: View Post
What Brandon Routh did very good was the difference between Clark and Superman.
At the end of MOS when we first saw journalist Clark, I didn't see any difference between him and Superman
Darkush already addressed the answer, but how do you consider it remotely fair to judge a five-second introduction at the end of MoS with journalist Clark featuring in almost the entirety of SR?
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2013, 02:52 PM   #118
Christopher
Writer

AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post
At least Cavil can be considers a star in MoS. Where Routh felt like a supporting character in his own movie.
Funny -- I felt that Cavill's Superman was a supporting character in a movie about the heroic actions of Jor-El, Last Father of Krypton, and his allies the United States military. Cavill was fantastic in the part; I felt he was the most convincing Superman since Reeve. But the damn script wouldn't let him be Superman, except occasionally like in that great sequence where he surrendered to the military and spoke to Lois.

Yminale wrote: View Post
I don't get this. Superman snaps Zod's neck and people shrug.
Seriously? You must not have been reading the same Internet I have. I've heard far more outrage and debate about that than I remember hearing about Routh's super-voyeurism.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2013, 02:59 PM   #119
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

The other was a situation created by Superman's own action of leaving earth for 5 years and not even saying goodbye to the so called love of his life. The world didn't stop Supes. It moved on without you as did Lois. Get over it.
The events in this film take place over the course of maybe a week. Can a guy have maybe a week to get over it before people start bitching?

I liked that James Marsden didn't play the asshole boyfriend. He was a geniunely good guy who deserved the relationship. I think that's a very rare thing in films.

Problem with Superman Returns is that Superman is a wimp overall in that film. It became clear in the film that without his powers he is nothing. Instead he should also have that Supercharacter, being a great guy with extreme will power even without any of his superpowers.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2013, 02:59 PM   #120
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Routh looked the part. However Singer gave the man very little dialogue as either Clark or Supes and admitted he told Routh to play it like Chris Reeve. Wrong, wrong wrong.
Indeed.

I always suspected this, but until now, assumed it was only my opinion. I didn't know Singer admitted it.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote