Quinto In The Slap
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

Burton On Shatner’s Brown Bag Wine Tasting
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

New Trek Trading Card Series
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

New Red Shirt Diaries Episode
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 30 2013, 02:34 AM   #31
sojourner
Admiral

Re: The Walking Dead

AMC will probably do a marathon of season 3 in the next couple of months just to keep interest up for season 4.
Old June 30 2013, 05:58 AM   #32
the G-man
Commodore

sojourner wrote: View Post
AMC will probably do a marathon of season 3 in the next couple of months just to keep interest up for season 4.
I think they are doing one July 4 but I could be wrong.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2013, 03:28 PM   #33
Tom
Rear Admiral

it should be on Netflix soon. If memory serves, Season 2 was available last August or September at least over a month before season 3 premiere. They want to get as many people caught up before a new season begins, yet they want to sell dvd's as well so it's a balancing act.
Old July 1 2013, 03:49 PM   #34
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

For the record, I thought season 3 was much better than season 2, which may have been largely because of the lack of one extremely annoying subplot from the first 2 seasons, which ended in season 2. However, I have some real problems with season 3 as well. It's more exciting than season 2, but there were moments when I thought the characters were behaving inconsistently because the writers changed their traits or skills level just to force a plot.

I wonder how you will feel about

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2013, 06:05 PM   #35
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Looks like there's something of a marathon between Thursday and Sunday of the series on AMC, with S3 playing at the end of the week. DVR already set to record!
Old July 13 2013, 01:37 AM   #36
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Well, between Netflix and the July 4th weekend I've finished all three seasons of The Walking Dead.

I quite like it, especially after most of the more annoying characters died in the second season or improved enough for me to really like them (Daryl.)

The Governor storyline was a bit tedious sometimes and he came across a bit too much as a mustache-twirling villain but still the season ended good. Look forward to where it goes, likely will join in for the discussions!
Old July 13 2013, 01:54 AM   #37
Dream
Admiral

Well, since you said you are finished with all three seasons. I'll say I hated what they did with the Andrea character in season three. Talk about character assassination!

Really, the best run that this show has done was second half of season two all the way to the first half of season three. I really hope season four will be able to bounce back in terms of great writing.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2013, 02:01 AM   #38
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Eh, I never liked Andrea much ever since she bitched out Dale for saving her life. She was suicidal and depressed because she lost her sister, Dale saved her and she acted sort of bitchy about that. (Granted, he did it kind of in an asshatty way.) But she was all over the road in Season 3 on where her loyalties lied and you'd think after seeing aquariums full of heads and the keeping of his zombified daughter The Governor was keeping she would've ran screaming for the hills. The glass shard to The Governor's eye (and seeing the injury a few times afterwards) gives me the illy willies. I hate eye stuff.

But, no, she was almost a "typical TV woman" who sees past a man's obvious instability and loves him in spite of that. Her and Padmé Amidala would get along well.

I look forward to S4, but hope to see more stuff with zombies and survival and not season-long arcs dealing with psychos like The Governor. Glad to see Maggie sticking around.

I knew Lori died this season but was surprised to see it happen so early in the season and afterwards knew it'd push Rick more into the Dark Side, which he comes back from by the end by welcoming in other survivors.

And I know it's a production/mood thing but the survivors could at least buy some paint and spruce up the dull gray walls of the prison a bit, make it look more livable!

And, probably little surprose, Daryl is my favorite character, man can rock a crossbow, that's for sure!
Old July 13 2013, 02:14 AM   #39
Dream
Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
I look forward to S4, but hope to see more stuff with zombies and survival and not season-long arcs dealing with psychos like The Governor. Glad to see Maggie sticking around.

I knew Lori died this season but was surprised to see it happen so early in the season and afterwards knew it'd push Rick more into the Dark Side, which he comes back from by the end by welcoming in other survivors.

And I know it's a production/mood thing but the survivors could at least buy some paint and spruce up the dull gray walls of the prison a bit, make it look more livable!

And, probably little surprose, Daryl is my favorite character, man can rock a crossbow, that's for sure!
You should check out the Walking Dead comics if you like the show. They have mostly the same cast, but the plots are quite different along with what happens to certain characters. The first two Walking Dead compendiums have been released, each compendium collects about 50 issues.

I find the most interesting part about the show to be its prison setting right now. Pretty different from the farmhouse and mall location of iconic zombie fiction.

Not surprised you think Daryl is cool. His fanbase has really grown over the years.
Old July 13 2013, 02:19 AM   #40
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post

You should check out the Walking Dead comics if you like the show. They have mostly the same cast, but the plots are quite different along with what happens to certain characters. The first two Walking Dead compendiums have been released, each compendium collects about 50 issues.

Frankly, I find the most interesting part about the show to be its prison setting right now. Pretty different from the farmhouse and mall location of iconic zombie fiction.

Not surprised you think Daryl is cool. His fanbase has really grown over the years.
I bought the Vol. trade paperback of TWD a couple weeks a go, pretty decent. I may pick up other volumes down the road but there's plot elements I know I won't like/can't handle (Rick losing his hand for example. Stuff like that just squicks me out.)
Old July 13 2013, 02:25 AM   #41
shivkala
Rear Admiral

So much so that the actress who played Andrea got death threats when Andrea shot Daryl in season 2.

So, can we use this thread to discuss season 4 now?

Walking Dead Season 4 Spoilers

We keep hearing stuff like this:
They’ve introduced a way to make zombies scary again, and they’re terrifying. The new threat is just unreal. I can’t of course tell you what that is, but it’s brilliant writing.
Which makes me worry, as I've been let down before by hype. This as well as "Clear" from season 3 have me hopeful that Gimple is going to do well by us:

"The DNA is all in how people have died in the comic; it's always served the story. If it's just serving as a shock, it's a failure. It has to mean something. That doesn't mean it can't be completely out of the blue because that happens sometimes in this world," he said.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2013, 02:33 AM   #42
Dream
Admiral

shivkala wrote: View Post
So much so that the actress who played Andrea got death threats when Andrea shot Daryl in season 2.
Which is really silly. Makes me think much of TWD audience is a bunch of kids. I heard they actually took and released pictures of the two actors being friendly towards each other, to bring down the hate.

So, can we use this thread to discuss season 4 now?
I started a topic to talk about season 4 a while back

I think everyone is just waiting for the season 4 trailer at this point!
Old July 13 2013, 02:34 AM   #43
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

I've no problem with S4 spoilers/discussion.

On the marathon last weekend I enjoyed some of the BTS stuff with Kevin Smith (even if some of it was sort of spoilery to someone who hadn't seen S3 yet but spoilers rarely bug me.)

I doubt the bandanna mask is any indication of harm coming to Daryl. As a general rule on TV they don't like covering actors faces/mouths. Not sure what the new threat with the zombies/Walkers could be but hopefully it'll be something that makes sense and comes naturally and not that all of the zombies suddenly develop a new ability or something.

I DO hope the show movies around more out and away from the prison and off to see more of the country to see what else is going on out there. Some of the best scenes in the series have been when the characters were outside of the camp/farmhouse of OH MY GOD MAKE IT END!!! and prison.

Which is really silly. Makes me think much of TWD audience is a bunch of kids. I heard they actually took and released pictures of the two actors being friendly towards each other, to bring down the hate.
And Andrea shooting Daryl was by and large an accident. Sure Shane said he was going to handle it, Hershel had said he didn't want guns used on his property/wanted to handle the Walkers and she fired when it should have been clear to her Rick, Shane and the others had stood down their defenses and were talking to the zombie. With the sun in her scope she hardly was in a good position to fire.

But the bullet just grazed Daryl and he was more injured by his time in the ravine than Andrea's stupid shot.

I do think the "redemption of Merle" worked pretty well in S4 and made his change more impactful and well reacted by Daryl.
Old July 13 2013, 04:21 AM   #44
shivkala
Rear Admiral

I was not a fan of Andrea's character, she just never clicked with me, but I certainly didn't hate her for shooting Daryl.

I wonder/hope some of what they're doing with the zombies this season is actually paying attention to the zombie gunk, gore, juices, etc. By the end of season 4, there were times they were covered with that stuff and just carrying on casually. In season 1, they made it a point, when they were covering themselves to get out of Atlanta, not to let it touch their skin. I don't mind if it gets on them, but if they have an open wound, or it gets into the nose, mouth, ear, etc., then it should have some effect.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2013, 09:46 AM   #45
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

shivkala wrote: View Post
This happens with all types of shows, from Soap Operas to Science Fiction. There are a lot of crazies out there.