Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old July 11 2013, 03:23 PM   #1
Komack
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Random Thoughts After a TOS Marathon

As some of you know, the kids and I are spending the summer watching all the TOS re-mastered episodes on Netflixs. This is the first time that the kids have watched the episodes, and it's the first time in 25 years that I've re-watched many of the episodes. Here are a few things that have struck me:

(1) The lighting choices made in many of the episodes are wonderful - I didn't realize how vibrant the sets looked until I watched the re-mastered episodes.

(2) Compared to the "big three" of the television show (Kirk, Spock, McCoy), the big four of the movies (Kirk, Spock, McCoy, and Uhura) just doesn't work for me.

(3) Zachery Quinto does a nice job as Spock, but he can't hold a candle to Leonard Nimoy. Perhaps not that original of an observation, but I'm blown away by Nimoy's portray of Spock.

(4) I like the new special effects - I'm as nostalgic as the next Trekkie, but the old special effects have simply not aged well.

(5) Nichols is not a good actress.

Just some thoughts on a rainy morning in Virginia.
Komack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2013, 05:25 PM   #2
Botany Bay
Commodore

View Botany Bay's Twitter Profile
Re: Random Thoughts After a TOS Marathon

Watching Star Trek with the kids is a great experience! I hope you get them hooked.

When I did a similar thing to what you're doing, a few things that jumped out at me were :
  • I couldn't believe how GREEN the corridors, uniforms etc were. Green must be the first thing that gets washed out as film deteriorates or something.
  • Sulu was hardly in the show at all.
  • The approaches of the various producers were so different, it was like four different shows across three seasons.
  • DeForest Kelley and Leonard Nimoy were the real stars of that show (sorry Shat-fans).
Must do a block-run of TOS again soon. Kids are heavily into Next Gen at the moment, and it's a wrestle to get the remote.

Keep posting your thoughts as you go.
"Sometimes I get the feeling the only way we could achieve a STAR TREK segment on budget would be to have 60 minutes of Mr. Spock playing kazoo solo as Captain Kirk holds him in his arms while standing in a telephone booth."
Bob Justman, 1967.
Botany Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2013, 09:47 PM   #3
Metryq
Captain

Komack wrote: View Post
(2) Compared to the "big three" of the television show (Kirk, Spock, McCoy), the big four of the movies (Kirk, Spock, McCoy, and Uhura) just doesn't work for me.
As many others have noted, Kirk was the "Everyman" of TOS, with Spock and McCoy forming his conscience (devil and angel, logic and compassion). This trio is a perfect tool for telling stories, and the reason any additional characters are "supporting" (or guest stars, etc.).
Old July 12 2013, 05:10 AM   #4
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

Compared to the "big three" of the television show (Kirk, Spock, McCoy), the big four of the movies (Kirk, Spock, McCoy, and Uhura) just doesn't work for me.
I found this line confusing at first, because "the" movies are the ones with the original cast, and Uhura was not such a big role in those. But I caught on: you mean the re-boot movies and Zoe Saldana.
ZapBrannigan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 05:28 AM   #5
Draculasaurus
Lieutenant Commander

[]
(3) Zachery Quinto does a nice job as Spock, but he can't hold a candle to Leonard Nimoy. Perhaps not that original of an observation, but I'm blown away by Nimoy's portray of Spock.
[]
Yeah!
When a character is that minimal, the tiny artistic choices an actor makes are really pushed to the foreground.
It's amazing how Nimoy conveys such a memorable character with just a tilt of the head, a narrowing of the eyes, or other little details like that.
Draculasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 06:11 AM   #6
TheSubCommander
Captain

Draculasaurus wrote: View Post
[]
[]
Yeah!
When a character is that minimal, the tiny artistic choices an actor makes are really pushed to the foreground.
It's amazing how Nimoy conveys such a memorable character with just a tilt of the head, a narrowing of the eyes, or other little details like that.
I agree! And it isn't necessarily a slam on Quinto, either. It's just that Nimoy was that good.

I have a similar opinion about Statner's Kirk and Kelley's McCoy.
TheSubCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 12:38 PM   #7
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

Same here.

I grew up watching TNG and saw everything made after that plus all the movies. After the reboot, I went back to watch TOS and TOS' "big three" did interact with each other (IMO) better. NuTrek looses the friendship between Kirk and Bones, the respect between Bones and Spock (by the end at least), and TOS' Kirk appreciates and implements Spock plans at times while nuTrek feels like they're two separate leaders.
bbjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 01:28 PM   #8
Kinokima
Lieutenant Commander

I would argue that there is no Big 4 in NuTrek. Bones has pretty much been regulated to a side character.

The role he played in the series (the emotional side) seems to be given to Uhura and Kirk. I do enjoy the new movies to an extent but since Bones is my favorite in the original of course I am not as fond of this change.
Kinokima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 03:24 PM   #9
alexianyc
Ensign

bbjeg wrote: View Post
Same here.

I grew up watching TNG and saw everything made after that plus all the movies. After the reboot, I went back to watch TOS and TOS' "big three" did interact with each other (IMO) better. NuTrek looses the friendship between Kirk and Bones, the respect between Bones and Spock (by the end at least), and TOS' Kirk appreciates and implements Spock plans at times while nuTrek feels like they're two separate leaders.
I agree with that.

Although I suppose it's fair to point out that the TOS relationships had time to develop, while the reboot characters have had only two movies.
alexianyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2013, 12:12 AM   #10
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

^True.
bbjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2013, 12:38 AM   #11
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

The main character dynamic in the Abrams films is impulsive Kirk / logical Spock. There's no room for Bones because Kirk is played up as Spock's opposite, rather than the man in the middle between opposites Spock and McCoy.
The Old Mixer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2013, 12:43 AM   #12
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
The main character dynamic in the Abrams films is impulsive Kirk / logical Spock. There's no room for Bones because Kirk is played up as Spock's opposite, rather than the man in the middle between opposites Spock and McCoy.
That's an interesting point. In universe I would expect age and experience to move Kirk more towards the middle but in movie-land I suspect this won't happen. McCoy was a bit of a non-event in STID, more of a caricature of McCoy.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2013, 01:10 AM   #13
Kinokima
Lieutenant Commander

I read somewhere that Abrams said in his universe Kirk and Spock are the opposites and McCoy is in the middle (as having the scientific background and compassion of the Doctor). The problem is I don't really see that as portrayed by the new McCoy.

Anyways I don't think Spock/Kirk as opposites in the movie is bad per say. The new movies are about the formation of their friendship and the whole "we are friends despite thinking we can't stand each other". It's cute but it's been done many times before.

However I just think the Kirk/Spock/McCoy dynamic of the original series was far more compelling & original to me: Ethos/Logos/Pathos, Super Ego/Super Ego/Id Spirit/Mind/Heart, or what have you. Not only did Shatner, Nimoy, and Kelley have great chemistry, examining the symbolic and iconic nature of their characters was also great.
Kinokima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2013, 04:04 AM   #14
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post

I think that's exactly right, and it is a major feature of JJ-Trek that rubs me the wrong way.

JJ-Kirk is an undisciplined, rebellious man-child because he was raised without a father. That makes some sense within the JJ-verse, but I don't like it. And it strains credibility to see him promoted to Captain.

JJ-Spock is nothing like TV Spock, largely because young Nimoy projected a persona that (I'll bet) JJ finds boring and sexless, and Quinto is a very different actor besides.
ZapBrannigan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2013, 09:40 PM   #15
SpHeRe31459
Captain

Kinokima wrote: View Post
However I just think the Kirk/Spock/McCoy dynamic of the original series was far more compelling & original to me: Ethos/Logos/Pathos, Super Ego/Super Ego/Id Spirit/Mind/Heart, or what have you. Not only did Shatner, Nimoy, and Kelley have great chemistry, examining the symbolic and iconic nature of their characters was also great.
Well stated!
SpHeRe31459 is offline   Reply With Quote