RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,665
Members: 24,816
Currently online: 477
Newest member: CapSmith

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old July 3 2013, 01:43 AM   #16
Tulin
Vice Admiral

Re: Watching TOS Again From The Beginning

Just to reiterate - I grew up watching these episodes, although I know I haven't defintely seen them all, I feel like I have.

I read the Blish novels(and LOVED them!)and had the box set of the novels adapted from the animated series which, IIRC, kind of collapsed two or three episodes into each book, creating a multi-adventure story. I have a vague recollection of these also kind of tying into each other as well. I remember really enjoying them!

I was a hard junkie for the movies and have very strong memories of being fourteen, sitting in the cinema and bawling my eyes out(quietly to myself)as the Enterprise streaked across the sky in STIII.

I remember the sheer ELATION that was the entire experience of STIV - I saw it four times that Christmas and took a bunch of different friends and people of all ages and tastes(some of whom really didn't even care for ST!), and I can still feel that pride swell in my chest and heart at the conclusion when, to a person, they exclaimed as the credits rolled, "That was actually REALLY good!"

So re-watching TOS now is like a homecoming for me and each Monday night I find myself eagerly anticipating it and enjoying it!
Tulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2013, 02:36 AM   #17
terpette
Commander

View terpette's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to terpette

Where is this Abrams hate? I would like to take part. Most folks in my corners of fandom love the new movies. I loathe them (though I don't care if they like them, I just get tired of them frakkin' raving about them in my presence like they're the best thing since sliced bread... or getting upset with ME because I didn't like 'em.).

A TOS rewatch is an excellent idea. When I finally get the DVR cleaned up, I think that would be a valuable use of my netflix subscription.
Old July 6 2013, 01:13 AM   #18
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain

I think one aspect that "The Man-Trap" and "The Naked Time" get across very, very effectively is that 'space is haunted'.

I don't mean that literally, but via the music and sound effects, those planets really feel dead. Tormolen's monologue is effective in that regard also. And Dr. Crater.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2013, 12:18 AM   #19
Tulin
Vice Admiral

So we are three episodes in. Seen in air date order;

The Man Trap
Charlie X
Where No Man Has Gone Before

I am LOVING my Monday nights being "Star Trek Night". It's such a blast of nostalgia!
Tulin is offline   Reply With Quote