Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed

Trek Big Bang Figures

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old July 11 2013, 01:18 PM   #46
Crazyewok
Commander

Re: Why did Kirk Kill Mitchell?

nightwind1 wrote: View Post
Crazyewok wrote: View Post
Timewalker wrote: View Post
the planet. He had to be stopped, period.

And glassing the planet with a starship would be more effective than a phaser rifle and a fist fight.
It would also destroy the lithium cracking station and probably render the ecosphere uninhabitable.
Not that it matterd as It was unmanned and there were willing to sacrifice it anyway if Kirk had died.
Crazyewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2013, 01:43 PM   #47
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

Timo wrote: View Post
I can't really see Kirk first calmly arranging for Mitchell's ultimate destruction via radiation bombardment, and then succumbing to red haze and deciding that he absolutely needed to punch him in the jaw as well...

Timo Saloniemi
I don't mind punching Gary to further make him dazed and confused, but if you're going to kill a guy, a punch to the gut, a double fist to the neck, two chops and a flip aren't the best ways to do it. A punch to keel him over and then choke the life out of him. Or grab that rock a little sooner and don't pause to ask for forgiveness.

I love the episode and the fight is great, but it just seems a little silly that the intent to kill is depicted in a standard TV style brawl. Of course, with the clarity of 45 years of watching the episode, it's easy for me to say stuff like "I would have bought it if Kirk tried to start with a killing blow, but Gary blocked and it became a fight as Mitchell defended himself." The episode was still awesome from start to finish and sold the series. I'm nitpickin', but only to pass the time.
Old July 11 2013, 11:32 PM   #48
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Crazyewok wrote: View Post
Not that it matterd as It was unmanned and there were willing to sacrifice it anyway if Kirk had died.
I was under the impression that the radioactive bombardment was meant to destroy life, not the station.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 06:48 PM   #49
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

Radiation will kill people, not destroy buildings and equipment. So the automated station would still be operational.
Old July 12 2013, 08:50 PM   #50
scotpens
Vice Admiral

ssosmcin wrote: View Post
The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
I was under the impression that the radioactive bombardment was meant to destroy life, not the station.
Radiation will kill people, not destroy buildings and equipment. So the automated station would still be operational.
Yes, that's why Kirk specifically wanted the planet subjected to a lethal concentration of neutron radiation in the event he failed to kill Mitchell. The neutron bomb, a weapon designed to cause maximum casualties from radiation rather than heat and blast, was very much in the news at the time.