Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old July 12 2013, 03:42 AM   #2761
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

I don't agree with it, I'm just putting it here, DON'T EAT ME.

"It’s a modest success for several reasons. First, it cost almost $190 million to make, and Paramount spent a considerable amount of money on advertising above and beyond the production cost (at least $50 million, by one estimate). Second, not all of that $443 million goes to Paramount – a significant percentage goes to the theaters that show the film (1/3rd to 1/2, depending on what is negotiated and how long the film runs). Finally, while it exceeded the International ticket sales of the first film, it did not have the 2X multiplier against domestic box office that other summer films (like Iron Man 3 or Fast and Furious 6) achieved."
Old July 12 2013, 03:56 AM   #2762
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Very authoritative.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 03:58 AM   #2763
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
I'd figured they'd need to make around 480 million in order to be doing just about as good as ST09.
No.
Can you prove that? And what would be your assessment?
You just don't get it at all, do you?

Here's the truth: nobody knows.

It's not a complicated truth, really. We can go through the exercise as often as necessary, though.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 04:27 AM   #2764
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

No.
Can you prove that? And what would be your assessment?
You just don't get it at all, do you?

Here's the truth: nobody knows.

It's not a complicated truth, really. We can go through the exercise as often as necessary, though.
If "nobody knows," then you can't say "No" because you don't know.

You just don't get it at all, do you? It's not a complicated truth, really...

It's not an exercise. The fact is that somebody does know, and that "somebody" would be the higher ups at the Studio and the Production Company.

I've said this already, so it shouldn't be necessary for me to say it again.

Instead of telling me what can't be the case when you don't know yourself, perhaps we could just move on?

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 04:32 AM   #2765
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

We get it, you don't like it. So long and thanks for the fish.
Old July 12 2013, 04:38 AM   #2766
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

Kruezerman wrote: View Post
I don't agree with it, I'm just putting it here, DON'T EAT ME.

"It’s a modest success for several reasons. First, it cost almost $190 million to make, and Paramount spent a considerable amount of money on advertising above and beyond the production cost (at least $50 million, by one estimate). Second, not all of that $443 million goes to Paramount – a significant percentage goes to the theaters that show the film (1/3rd to 1/2, depending on what is negotiated and how long the film runs). Finally, while it exceeded the International ticket sales of the first film, it did not have the 2X multiplier against domestic box office that other summer films (like Iron Man 3 or Fast and Furious 6) achieved."
The other thing that I find interesting is the way it looks when you take China out of the equation. ST09 didn't show in China, but STID did (maybe even in part because of ST09's ability to show potential overseas).

The China numbers are about $57 million. If you take that away from the $221 mil that the movie has made overseas and then compare that to the adjusted domestic number for ST09, you get this:

ST09: ~139 mil
STID: ~164 mil

It's an improvement, but without China (and I think there's still Japan and maybe one other country to go for STID, so that number will increase), it's only about $25 mil over the ST09 movie if we're trying to be as fair as possible in the comparisons we can make. I think they may have spent more than that on the additional marketing, so thank goodness for China!

I just find it interesting... Still, the main thing is that STID presumably did well enough for another movie. So, hopefully things work out well.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Old July 12 2013, 04:40 AM   #2767
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

Kruezerman wrote: View Post
We get it, you don't like it. So long and thanks for the fish.
I'll stay around as long as I please, thank you very much. You can leave if you'd like, though.

And if you got fish, then you didn't get it from me.

Old July 12 2013, 05:51 PM   #2768
Neumann
Captain

View Neumann's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Neumann

The China numbers are about $57 million. If you take that away from the $221 mil that the movie has made overseas and then compare that to the adjusted domestic number for ST09, you get this:

It's an improvement, but without China (and I think there's still Japan and maybe one other country to go for STID, so that number will increase), it's only about $25 mil over the ST09 movie if we're trying to be as fair as possible in the comparisons we can make.
Ok.

What kind of half baked analysis is this one?

Why do you only take China out?

Did you even bother to measure the increases or decreases on different markets/regions/continents?

Nope, you didn't.

The whole point of the international promotion of this movie was to get better results throughout the world.

Europe - the movie grew a bit over it's predecesor - Which was to be expected, after all Star Trek had some coverage over there.

Asia - Greatest gains all over, the movie more than doubled it's revenue.

Latin America - It generally doubled it's performance (excluding Mexico), we must wait for VENEZUELA, Argentina and Chile.

Africa - Overall improvement

Middle East - Improvement

USA/Canada - The movie has made around 30 million less than ST09 <- THIS is what needs to be checked upon. If the movie would have done just as well as it did last time, we would be over the 500 mill when everything is said and done.

Well why don't we just show it right here:

*Please remember that the movie is still running in certain countries and that of course China will be 1044 times bigger than Lebannon.

By Country:
China 665%
United Kingdom 111%
Germany 160%
Australia 118%
South Korea 201%
Russia - CIS 255%
Mexico 198%
France 95%
Brazil 263%
Malaysia 290%
Italy 89%
New Zealand 145%
Singapore 201%
Indonesia 223%
Hong Kong 170%
Austria 144%
Netherlands 121%
Thailand 180%
Sweden 141%
Philippines 179%
Spain 33%
Norway 115%
United Arab Emirates 331%
Ukraine 254%
Belgium 91%
Peru 194%
Turkey 153%
Poland 176%
Colombia 236%
Czech Republic
Hungary 170%
Finland 97%
South Africa (Entire Region) 137%
Ecuador 391%
Portugal 80%
Croatia 183%
Israel 94%
Bulgaria 266%
Iceland 174%
Bolivia 487%
Egypt 281%
Slovenia 109%
Serbia & Montenegro 168%
East Africa 236%
Lebanon 336%

Last edited by Neumann; July 12 2013 at 06:06 PM.
Neumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 06:03 PM   #2769
Opus
Commodore

My God! You know, if you only count Singapore's box office and adjust for what a movie cost in 1952, STiD is doing horribly!

Numbers are Fun!
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 06:22 PM   #2770
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

Is it me or does it look like the more money STID makes, the more it needs to be a real success?

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 08:07 PM   #2771
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

Neumann wrote: View Post

It's an improvement, but without China (and I think there's still Japan and maybe one other country to go for STID, so that number will increase), it's only about $25 mil over the ST09 movie if we're trying to be as fair as possible in the comparisons we can make.
Ok.

What kind of half baked analysis is this one?

Why do you only take China out?
Ah, because, if you paid attention to my first sentence, that pretty much explains why:

"The other thing that I find interesting is the way it looks when you take China out of the equation."

So no, it's not a "half baked" analysis just because I find it interesting to look at the numbers without China, a country ST09 did not play in, while we are all looking at the international numbers.
You're not saying much of anything that I haven't already pointed to in previous posts, which is that the international numbers are, for the most part, better and that the gross number will increase. I think that's all pretty much even in the post you quoted, lol.

Old July 12 2013, 08:09 PM   #2772
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

SalvorHardin wrote: View Post
Is it me or does it look like the more money STID makes, the more it needs to be a real success?
It just has to be enough of a success to warrant another film, and from what I can tell, it's already done that.

Old July 12 2013, 08:15 PM   #2773
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

So no, it's not a "half baked" analysis just because I find it interesting to look at the numbers without China, a country ST09 did not play in, while we are all looking at the international numbers.
Star Trek was released in China in 2009. It made $8.5 million there.
Old July 12 2013, 08:19 PM   #2774
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
Star Trek was released in China in 2009. It made $8.5 million there.
It wasn't released country-wide the way STID was, IIRC. I think it was just one city, Hong Kong, which was counted just as Hong Kong, not China. I'd have to check on it again.

Old July 12 2013, 08:26 PM   #2775
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

It wasn't released country-wide the way STID was, IIRC. I think it was just one city, Hong Kong, which was counted just as Hong Kong, not China. I'd have to check on it again.
No, Hong Kong is counted as a separate release to China. Star Trek made $1.282 million in Hong Kong, separate from the $8.5 million it made in China. Star Trek didn't get as big a release in China as STID did. That's true. But it was released there. The Chinese market has dramatically expanded for Hollywood films since then.