TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 12 2013, 06:24 PM   #1
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Seventh Son Trailer (Jeff Bridges)

I like this type of movie, but the trailer was awful. Every shot was followed by a shot of total darkness. I thought that my flash player wasn't working. Then they used the same sound effects that they used for Transformers (the only lead we have is this sound..")

Plus, in my my opinion, the biggest sin of all is that they used the phrase "You are the seventh son of a seventh son" without using Iron Maiden's music in the background.!

Looks like a B-movie.
Old July 12 2013, 06:29 PM   #2
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Re: Seventh Son Trailer (Jeff Bridges)

I love sword and sorcery. I love Jeff Bridges. I love B-movies (I rank JCVD and Vincent Price as among my favourite actors!).

I am definitely watching this.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 06:40 PM   #3
sojourner
Admiral

This is what a D&D movie should look like.
Old July 12 2013, 07:07 PM   #4
Pavonis
Commodore

Which "acclaimed series" is this movie based on? The Alvin Maker series by Orson Scott Card? I'd not heard that any more of Card's stories were being filmed. If it is based on the Alvin Maker series, it doesn't look like it hews very closely to the source material.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 07:13 PM   #5
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

sojourner wrote:
This is what a D&D movie should look like.
I own the first two DnD movies on DVD. Hilariously awful. Killer Tom Baker cameo though, along with Richard O'Brien.

Pavonis wrote: View Post
Which "acclaimed series" is this movie based on? The Alvin Maker series by Orson Scott Card? I'd not heard that any more of Card's stories were being filmed. If it is based on the Alvin Maker series, it doesn't look like it hews very closely to the source material.
It's not based on the Orson Scott Card story. Liberals can relax.
Old July 12 2013, 07:26 PM   #6
Yuletide Caroler
Rear Admiral

View Yuletide Caroler's Twitter Profile

DalekJim wrote: View Post
That's not very constructive.
Pavonis wrote: View Post
If wiki is to be trusted, it's based on Joseph Delaney's book, titled Spook's Apprentice, which is part of the Wardstone Chronicles. I must admit, I'd not heard of the series until now.

As for the film, I'm not expecting it to be a great piece of cinema, but it looks like it could be a fun diversion.
Old July 12 2013, 07:57 PM   #7
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

It is indeed based on the Joseph Delaney series. The Spook's Apprentice is called The Last Apprentice: Revenge of the Witch in the US. I haven't read the books yet, although I've heard good things about them. The movie doesn't look particularly good, but I'll check it out because I like the genre.
Old July 12 2013, 08:16 PM   #8
Pavonis
Commodore

Never heard of it. The only Seventh Son I have heard of was Card's. And since Ender's Game finally made it to the screen, I thought he'd had some luck with his lesser known works, too.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 10:28 PM   #9
Yuletide Caroler
Rear Admiral

View Yuletide Caroler's Twitter Profile

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
It is indeed based on the Joseph Delaney series. The Spook's Apprentice is called The Last Apprentice: Revenge of the Witch in the US.
Ah! Thanks for that. I have heard of the Last Apprentice series. Though I didn't recall that Delaney was the author. Good to know!
Old July 13 2013, 04:55 AM   #10
The Festivus Awakens
Airing Grievouses

It looks like it could be dumb fun, but it's hard to take whatever variation Jeff Bridges is trying to do with his aging hippie voice there seriously. I'm not even sure what he's going for. Does he think he's sounding British or medieval or something? It just sounds like an old, burned out surfer on lots of Vicodin.
'First Contact' is the tale of a man who just wants to cash in on his creation so he can get wasted on an island full of naked women, but his fans keep insisting that he's a saintly visionary who has profoundly altered the world. AKA - 'I Don't Want to be a Statue: The Gene Roddenberry Story.'
The Festivus Awakens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2013, 03:30 AM   #11
JD
Admiral

It looks like it could be fun. I've never read the books, although I have seen them on Amazon.
Old July 15 2013, 12:09 AM   #12
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

Judging by the trailer, this looks fairly tedious and rather dreadful. I think I will pass on this one.
auntiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2013, 06:27 PM   #13
davejames
Vice Admiral

Yeah saw this trailer in front of Pacific Rim, and while it looked a smidge better than the typical sword and sorcery flick, there's still just so MANY of these movies now that they all just sort of blur together and feel like the same thing after awhile.

And I'm frankly amazed studios are still even trying to MAKE these movies. They only really appeal to teenage boys, and they nearly all end up tanking at the box office, it seems like.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2013, 06:36 PM   #14
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

davejames wrote: View Post
Yeah saw this trailer in front of Pacific Rim, and while it looked a smidge better than the typical sword and sorcery flick, there's still just so MANY of these movies now that they all just sort of blur together and feel like the same thing after awhile.
Really? I don't see many of these types of sword and sorcery films being made right now. I'd say it's superhero films flooding the market.
Old July 15 2013, 07:06 PM   #15
davejames
Vice Admiral

Really? I don't see many of these types of sword and sorcery films being made right now. I'd say it's superhero films flooding the market.
There's been Conan the Barbarian, In the Name of the King, Prince of Persia, Centurion, Jack the Giant Killer, Chronicles of Narnia, Clash of the Titans, Wrath of the Titans, Sorcerer's Apprentice, Immortals, Scorpion King...

They may not be all pure sword and sorcery, but they all have the same basic look, with lots of running around and people fighting giant CG monsters.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote