RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,772
Posts: 5,216,853
Members: 24,218
Currently online: 650
Newest member: momogila

TrekToday headlines

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

New X-Men: Days of Future Past Trailer
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Nimoy to Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Star Trek Special: Flesh and Stone Comic
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

These Are The Voyages TOS Season Two Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

 
 
Thread Tools
Old June 25 2013, 04:33 PM   #31
solariabsg25
Captain
 
solariabsg25's Avatar
 
Location: Bristol, UK
View solariabsg25's Twitter Profile
Re: "Is Battlestar Galactica in Suspended Animation?"

KGator wrote: View Post
stj wrote: View Post
The new BattleStar Galactica was a 9/11 series.
While BSG explored many themes from current events, to call it a 9/11 series is not entirely accurate. Had this show been shown closer to 9/11 it would probably have adversely affected its popularity (too close to a tragic event).

stj wrote: View Post
The further 9/11 recedes in time, the less significant the series.
I disagree since themes of terrorists, torture, suicide attacks, war, etc are long term themes in human culture. They didn't begin this century and they won't end this century.


I strongly dissagree. I feel that BSG was one of the strongest and best acted science fiction series outside SGU.

stj wrote: View Post
Losing the war against Iraq derailed the series even as it was broadcast.
We lost the war in Iraq? Or is this from the Iraqi separatist point of view. I don't think BSG was a major show in the middle east though.

stj wrote: View Post
Its only chances of revival lie in another 9/11.
For many of the reason's stated above, I strongly dissagree.
NuBSG didn't rely on 9/11, in fact the Singer 2001 remake died a death because of 9/11. It was just easier for them to be able to use allegories.

A Battlestar Galactica remake is off the table for the moment as it's felt to be too soon after NuBSg, not because producers are twiddling their thumbs, just waiting for the next major disaster to come along.

And the war in Iraq was an all-out victory.

The RUNNING OF THE SITUATION AFTERWARDS however was a complete and total screw-up, but a discussion best left out of the normal forums as it can lead to heated debates that can derail threads and make tempers flare very easily!
__________________
"A perfect organism, unclouded by remorse, or human illusions of morality." - Ash, Alien
solariabsg25 is offline  
Old June 25 2013, 05:20 PM   #32
DWF
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Re: "Is Battlestar Galactica in Suspended Animation?"

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
Did anyone think this Singer project was going to happen?
Well yes, since supposedly the movie was fast tracked.
__________________
The greatest science fiction series of all time is
Doctor Who! And I'll take you all on, one-by-one
or all in a bunch to back it up!"
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline  
Old June 25 2013, 05:54 PM   #33
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral
 
137th Gebirg's Avatar
 
Location: Who is John Galt?
Re: "Is Battlestar Galactica in Suspended Animation?"

The problem with Singer is that he always seemed to get way to easily sidetracked by other more "important" projects - always getting distracted by the next new shiny bauble. I can understand putting BSG on the back-burner for something like X-Men, but then came "The Munsters" reboot of all bloody things, for which BSG was shelved once again, and was subsequently axed. And based on his recent "treatment" of the Superman franchise, I'm not entirely sure that I trust his judgment any more to do a good BSG project if those are his priorities.

I actually wouldn't mind if BSG continued for another 20+ year hiatus if it meant keeping him away from the project in favor of someone else who would treat it with greater respect. My only exception to that is if they could also get DeSanto to come back as well, as he seemed to be a good balancing factor to Singer's flakiness. Things actually seemed to get done when he was there too, back in 2000.
__________________
Gebirgswick - Ind, Tra, Sec & Env.
137th Gebirg is offline  
Old July 1 2013, 02:17 AM   #34
TheMasterOfOrion
Fleet Captain
 
TheMasterOfOrion's Avatar
 
Re: "Is Battlestar Galactica in Suspended Animation?"

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
Did anyone think this Singer project was going to happen?
I think it could have gone ahead, but 911 was bad timing for Singer's original project. Spider-Man cut its twin towers scene after the attack and a lot of studios projects were put on hold back then. If the new age of apocalypse style X-Men: which Singer is shooting this year, proves to be a hit, then Fox is likely to push for a more installments and maybe Singer returns to direct that Battlestar Galactica he always wanted, it might be more mystic like the dark Warlock movies or have the 80s V feel to it. 911 was a big thing for Singer's tv career. Big studios couldn't afford to wait when they were competing with others, time is money, so they pulled the plug on stuff that wasn't immediately going to fly


here's that old post
http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=26011
One of the most highly anticipated new sci-fi series, a revival of 70s cult classic Battlestar Galactica, has been shelved after director Bryan Singer jumped ship to direct 'X-Men 2' and even the involvement of 'Star Trek II' director Nicholas Meyer couldn't save the project.Together with producer Tom DeSanto, Singer was one of the integral creative forces behind the project, which was intented to debut on the Fox network in Fall 2002. After Singer said he wouldn't be able to direct the pilot episode, Fox withdrew its support, according to Variety.In last-ditch attempt to save the Battlestar Galactica revival producers brought on board writer-producer Nicholas Meyer. Meyer has a long association with Star Trek, co-writing both 'Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home' and 'Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country,' and directing 'The Undiscovered Country' and 'Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan.' However, even the addition of such a high-profile director failed to reverse Fox's decision.Singer was a driving force behind the Galactica revival, enlisting help from Studios USA to produce the series. Owing to Singer's success with 'X-Men,' starring Patrick Stewart (Jean-Luc Picard), the Fox Network agreed to air the series, which was intended to air concurrently on the Sci-Fi Channel.The pilot was originally scheduled to be shot early next year, but Singer's departure has put the entire project in jeopardy. Executive producer Tom DeSanto still remains at the helm, but there is currently no network committed to airing the series.A petition to support DeSanto's efforts has been set up at BattlestarGalactica.com. Currently, over nine thousand fans have signed the petition.Richard Hatch, who played Apollo in the original series, has thrown his full support behind the revival. "I believe in Tom DeSanto, whom I have come to know both as an extraordinary human being and a very courageous producer," he wrote at his official web site. "He is, in fact, the only high profiled producer I know who has not only recognized the inherent potential of Galactica, but more importantly, has had the guts to take on the extremely challenging powers that be; to accomplish what most in his field believe to be an impossible and fruitless task."Created by Glenn A. Larson, the original Battlestar Galactica ran for 22 episodes between 1978-1979. The series was eventually cancelled because of high production costs - each episode cost $1 million to make, an astronomical figure for the day. A short-lived series entitled Galactica: 1980 followed, but was universally panned and cancelled after six episodes.Any decision about the future of the Battlestar Galactica revival will depend on the current behind-the-scenes talks between Singer and Studios USA, and whether a network can be found to air the series. Interestingly, Enterprise home network UPN was said to be in the running for the project back in March (story) but there are as yet no indications it would still be interested in the show.
O.
Contrasting the DeSanto and Moore pilots
Created by Mark Fornale on February 20, 2004
Last revised: January 25, 2005

This document is ©2005, Mark Fornale. All rights reserved.

A lot of people criticized the original BSG for being too clichéd or too G rated but ignored the fact that BSG was a dark premise that could have been far better than it was. It was produced in the 1970s where censorship rules were stricter than they are today.

Bryan Singer and Tom DeSanto set out to revive BSG and return it to its dark roots. Unfortunately it was cancelled when it was so close to being filmed. David Eick with Ron Moore took control of the project and went for the re-imagining course instead.

Let us compare and contrast and look at the similarities between Singer/DeSanto and Moore. Note -- The Adama/Orin references meant that Singer and DeSanto kept re-tweaking the character back and forth from Adama to Orin.

Singer & DeSanto -- Darker, grittier than the original series and not family friendly nor a kiddie flick.
Moore -- Darker, grittier than the original series and not family friendly nor a kiddie flick.

Singer & DeSanto -- Human Cylons infiltrating the Colonials. Anyone could be a Cylon.
Moore -- Human Cylons infiltrating the Colonials. Anyone could be a Cylon.

Singer & DeSanto -- Newly advanced CGI Cylon Centurions that would have been featured in action sequences.
Moore -- Newly advanced CGI Cylon Centurions that were only featured in two scenes and basically stood in the background and did nothing. (Damn you Sci-Fi. I wanted to see them in action.)

Singer & DeSanto -- Kept the origins of the Cylons intact but gave them a new semi Borg-like / X-Files black oil motive due to a Cylon Civil War. However, that story arc would have most likely ended by the finale of the first season, so the Cylons could have reverted back to their old ways.
Moore -- Didn't bother to watch the entire TOS, therefore couldn't understand the Cylon's origins nor motives (by just watching the short version of the pilot) so he re-imagined them to be machines turning on their makers.

Singer & DeSanto -- Female President Mara, and always at odds with Commander Adama/Orin.
Moore -- Female President Roslin, and always at odds with Commander Adama.

Singer & DeSanto -- Galactica to be decommissioned because the Cylons had not been heard from in over 20 years.
Moore -- Galactica to be decommissioned because the Cylons had not been heard from in over 40 years.

Singer & DeSanto -- (Dr Wilker ?) unintentionally betrayed the colonies.
Moore -- Dr Baltar unintentionally betrayed the colonies.

Singer & DeSanto -- Starbuck, a manic depressive drunk, breaks free from his slump and becomes a hero upon the Cylon attack.
Moore -- Tigh, a manic depressive drunk, breaks free from his slump and becomes a hero upon the Cylon attack.

Singer & DeSanto -- The Cylons return and ambush New Kobol with the new advanced Cylon Raiders and Missiles from the Basestar in a scene that could have been compared to such films as Armageddon or Deep Impact. Also newly enhanced Centurions would later launch a ground assault.
Moore -- The Cylons return and ambush Kobol except no Cylons are seen (Damn that Sci-Fi's tight budget) so instead the viewers are treated to mushroom clouds in the background and a semi-spectacular scene at Baltar's apartment. Also the Holocaust and destruction of the fleet was dialogue driven.

Singer & DeSanto -- Space battle Scenes -- Traditional Science Fiction with fast moving ships and sounds that would make your surround sound speakers roar.
Moore -- Realistic Science Fiction Experiment with semi/slow moving ships and no sound surround is necessary because there are little to no sounds (for realism purposes.)

Singer & DeSanto -- After the Cylon ambush, Commander Adama/Orin and President Mara decides to begin the quest to Earth based on faith.
Moore -- After the Cylon ambush. Commander Adama and President Roslin decides to begin the quest to Earth based on a lie.

Singer & DeSanto -- A surprise ending with a twist. Apollo, Adama's Son/Orin's Father is a Cylon.
Moore -- A surprise ending with a twist. Sharon Boomer is a Cylon.

Singer & DeSanto -- TOS original cast members were practically knocking down his door for a role (including Jane Seymour.) However, only Dirk Benedict and Herb Jefferson would have been featured and the surprise cameo of Richard Hatch at the end.
Moore -- Every TOS cast member declined any roles that were offered to them.

Singer & DeSanto -- Pilot that was intended to be an updated semi-continuation, fix the flaws and extend the original series.
Moore -- Pilot that was intended to update the story, fix the flaws and bury the original series.

Singer & DeSanto -- was going for a darker traditional Science Fiction Epic feel.
Moore -- was going for a darker docudrama and reality TV feel.

Singer & DeSanto -- Targeted Audience -- 18 to 40.
Moore --Targeted Audiance -- 18 to 40.

In my opinion it does appear that a lot of miniseries groundwork was laid out by Singer/DeSanto until the production was derailed by Sci-Fi and David Eick.
http://members.tripod.com/john_laroc...esantordm.html

Producer Tom DeSanto (X-Men 1 & 2 Transformers) talks about the aborted version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0E7yIl2g88


and the canceled Hatch project
The Battlestar Galactica: The Second Coming project was a proof-of-concept, professionally-created mock movie trailer created, produced, directed, and starred by Original Series star and Galactica spin-off author Richard Hatch. Under his production company, Su-Shann, Hatch leveraged the talent of many TOS stars, including John Colicos, in an effort to convince Universal Studios, the owners to the rights of the Battlestar Galactica franchise, to greenlight a new series or motion picture.The elaborate trailer features new concepts, impressive acting, and very exciting special effects. Hatch visited many science-fiction conventions to show the trailer and it proved to be a hit among fans that viewed it.However, Hatch never succeeded in getting Universal's attention
http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/Ba..._Second_Coming

Last edited by TheMasterOfOrion; July 1 2013 at 02:35 AM.
TheMasterOfOrion is offline  
Old July 2 2013, 02:32 PM   #35
stj
Rear Admiral
 
stj's Avatar
 
Location: the real world
Re: "Is Battlestar Galactica in Suspended Animation?"

As to KGator's first point, rewatch the "second pilot," aka the first regular series episode. Being wrong about that, it follows the rest is wrong.

The original series was Lorne Greene as Space Brigham Young leading the faithful to their new homeland. This is not a notably dark premise. They immediately land on a casino planet to face the temptation of the fleshpots they left behind. Etc. This was a bunch of hooey on a par with the von Daeniken premises of Stargate, except that the Stargate producers were too smart to take their premises too seriously, and ended up with action-comedy. What the original series did do well was the Starbuck/Apollo/Athena relationships. Personally I'd still rate Dr. Smith/the Robot/Will relationships from Lost in Space higher.
__________________
The people of this country need regime change here, not abroad.

Last edited by stj; July 3 2013 at 04:35 AM.
stj is offline  
Old July 3 2013, 02:19 AM   #36
Chris3123
Vice Admiral
 
Chris3123's Avatar
 
Location: Pensacola, Florida
Re: "Is Battlestar Galactica in Suspended Animation?"

TheMasterOfOrion wrote: View Post
Spider-Man cut its twin towers scene after the attack
There was never any "twin towers scene" in the movie. You are thinking of the teaser trailer, which Sony did indeed pull from theaters following 9/11.

Men in Black 2, though, did cut (and completely re-shoot) the end of the movie due to the WTC towers being a major focus of the big scene.
Chris3123 is offline  
Old July 3 2013, 04:08 AM   #37
Vulcan Logician
Lieutenant Commander
 
Vulcan Logician's Avatar
 
Location: In the realm of pure logic
Re: "Is Battlestar Galactica in Suspended Animation?"

stj! Marx, now Spinoza! We have to chat at some point. Judging by your avatars, you are a deep thinker.
__________________
Long live Tuvix!
Vulcan Logician is offline  
Old July 4 2013, 10:08 PM   #38
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: "Is Battlestar Galactica in Suspended Animation?"

TheMasterOfOrion wrote: View Post
Moore -- Didn't bother to watch the entire TOS, therefore couldn't understand the Cylon's origins nor motives (by just watching the short version of the pilot) so he re-imagined them to be machines turning on their makers
Actually, the TOS Cylons also did that.
__________________
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline  
Old July 4 2013, 10:59 PM   #39
solariabsg25
Captain
 
solariabsg25's Avatar
 
Location: Bristol, UK
View solariabsg25's Twitter Profile
Re: "Is Battlestar Galactica in Suspended Animation?"

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
TheMasterOfOrion wrote: View Post
Moore -- Didn't bother to watch the entire TOS, therefore couldn't understand the Cylon's origins nor motives (by just watching the short version of the pilot) so he re-imagined them to be machines turning on their makers
Actually, the TOS Cylons also did that.
Yep - Apollo discussed with Boxy in the Landram on Carrilon that the Cylons were originally lizards, and the robot Cylons overthrew them and killed them all, just keeping the Cylon name.

As to humanoid CYlons, Galactica 80 had also introduced them before either new series pitch.
__________________
"A perfect organism, unclouded by remorse, or human illusions of morality." - Ash, Alien
solariabsg25 is offline  
Old July 6 2013, 08:30 PM   #40
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral
 
The Old Mixer's Avatar
 
Location: Connecticut
Re: "Is Battlestar Galactica in Suspended Animation?"

stj wrote: View Post
What the original series did do well was the Starbuck/Apollo/Athena relationships.
Athena practically dropped off the face of the show after a few episodes....
The Old Mixer is offline  
Old July 6 2013, 08:44 PM   #41
Harvey
Admiral
 
Harvey's Avatar
 
Re: "Is Battlestar Galactica in Suspended Animation?"

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
stj wrote: View Post
What the original series did do well was the Starbuck/Apollo/Athena relationships.
Athena practically dropped off the face of the show after a few episodes....
Indeed. After the first few shows, Athena's role was significantly reduced. Ultimately, Maren Jensen was left out of eight episodes completely, including the last four of the series.
__________________
"This begs explanation." - de Forest Research on Star Trek

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline  
Old July 6 2013, 09:55 PM   #42
DWF
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Re: "Is Battlestar Galactica in Suspended Animation?"

Harvey wrote: View Post
The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
stj wrote: View Post
What the original series did do well was the Starbuck/Apollo/Athena relationships.
Athena practically dropped off the face of the show after a few episodes....
Indeed. After the first few shows, Athena's role was significantly reduced. Ultimately, Maren Jensen was left out of eight episodes completely, including the last four of the series.
As I said upthread, she left on her own from I understand. Athena was supposedly going to have a secx change for the second season.
__________________
The greatest science fiction series of all time is
Doctor Who! And I'll take you all on, one-by-one
or all in a bunch to back it up!"
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline  
Old July 12 2013, 01:53 AM   #43
Lookingglassman
Admiral
 
Lookingglassman's Avatar
 
Location: America
Re: "Is Battlestar Galactica in Suspended Animation?"

I wouldn't mind seeing a series dealing with the Cylon War.
Lookingglassman is offline  
Old July 12 2013, 06:06 PM   #44
Mysterion
Rear Admiral
 
Mysterion's Avatar
 
Location: SB-31, Daran V
Re: "Is Battlestar Galactica in Suspended Animation?"

DWF wrote: View Post
Athena was supposedly going to have a secx change for the second season.
What?
__________________
USS Galileo Galilei, NCC-8888
Prima Inter Pares
Mysterion is offline  
Old July 12 2013, 06:27 PM   #45
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral
 
137th Gebirg's Avatar
 
Location: Who is John Galt?
Re: "Is Battlestar Galactica in Suspended Animation?"

Yeah...don't think this is the least bit true. Various interviews and other sources over the years stated that, due to Maren Jensen's unavailability (or unsuitability) to play the role of Athena, the Season 2 premiere (had it been filmed) would have had Galactica come under attack and Athena near-mortally injured. She was to have reconstructive surgery to save her life, but allowing Jensen to be replaced with another actress. I have never heard of a sex-change subplot, as a rumor or otherwise. Remember, this was late-70's, early 80's quasi-kiddie-timeslot programming, back when the networks were still in mortal fear of the standards & practices censorship machine - the same timeslot and censorship that killed Galactica 1980.

A sex-change thing never would have happened back then in a show like that.

Ever.
__________________
Gebirgswick - Ind, Tra, Sec & Env.
137th Gebirg is offline  
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:32 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.