Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Gaming

Trek Gaming Program Complete - Enter When Ready.

Old June 2 2011, 07:32 AM   #31
tsmith74
Cadet

Re: New FREE Star Trek TOS game now available!

Hi. It seems like a great project, but, unfortunately, I can't get the demo to work on my computer. I click "Beam Aboard" and then it begins loading. The bar fills about a centimeter and then I get a Windows error report, E.G. "*program* has encountered a problem and needs to close." Rather than take the tradtional Kirk route and fiddle with things I don't understand, I thought I'd ask for help. So, help?
tsmith74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2011, 02:17 PM   #32
GambitRealm
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hello there,

If you look in the directory where you installed the game, there is a console.log file. Can you e-mail that to me, along with a quick list of your system specs (CPU type and speed, amount of RAM, and video card make/model). I'll look into it.

If you get past the intro screen OK and the game is only crashing after clicking BEAM ABOARD, this usually indicates a system slightly below required specs. You can try to turn down the detail levels in OPTIONS before loading, and see if that helps. If not, as I said, please send your console.log along with your specs and we'll get back to you.

Cheers,
Paul Weston
Gambit Realm development team
email: paul.r.weston at gmail.com
GambitRealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 04:41 PM   #33
GambitRealm
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Only took two years, but for anybody still following this project / thread, I have good news!

I offer here the link to the first public release of the entire ship. Please feel free to download it and try it for yourself. We would welcome any feedback, as even though this is a "final" release of sorts it will always be a work-in-progress that we come back to from time to time. It's a labour of love

NCC1701: Exploration (RELEASE 1.0) download link:
http://gambitrealm.com/INSTALLER/download_release1.php

Enjoy everybody!

PS - we know there can never be ONE definitive version of the ship that gets EVERYTHING right (100% accurate to show, plus makes sense from a structural/engineering perspective, plus reconciles in some way with the various blueprints available), so we welcome any contributions from the community. We can take anybody's models and adapt them to drop into the engine, and we will give appropriate credit for anything submitted. We have already placed several original Trek-themed paintings around the ship that were donated by artist fans, and our background music was also composed and offered to us by a fan. So please, if you have a better looking transporter room / sickbay bed / computer console, etc, than we came up with, we would love to have your work in the game!

Live long and prosper

Cheers,
Paul Weston

Last edited by GambitRealm; July 12 2013 at 06:00 PM.
Old July 12 2013, 05:58 PM   #34
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

404 Not found?

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 06:01 PM   #35
GambitRealm
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Link fixed, I had forgotten the "http://" in the code
Old July 14 2013, 07:12 PM   #36
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

Is there a way to adjust or turn off the music?
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2013, 04:01 AM   #37
werdegast
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Great fun. I would like to see higher resolution deck plans of this version. Thanks for taking the time to work this out.
werdegast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2013, 07:42 AM   #38
Maxx42
Lieutenant

Click the icon to start the game and get an error message

"Failed to set a light manager"

asks if I want to send an error report.

I do and then it closes out

Running XP with plenty of space
Maxx42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2013, 04:19 PM   #39
GambitRealm
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hey all, just checking in after the weekend... 300 downloads since Friday, wow!

@Ronald: In the main menu, before you go into the game, there is an options screen. In there, you may be able to control the sound/music volume, depending on how Torque recognizes your sound card. We were happy to just get music into the game, and have been focused on the structure and mechanics of the ship, so we never really worked on audio controls as a priority. I will make a note to test that and come up with a solution so you're not blasted with high-volume music when the game starts

@werdegast: When you say deck plans, do you mean the in-game maps for the turbolifts? When you enter a turbolift and click the little panel at the back, you can see a deck plan of your current deck, and if you then click the little profile of the ship on the map screen it will switch to a side view where you can select other decks. Each deck has an overhead annotated screen shot of the in-game deck, so you can see where everything is... We do not have a "you are here" feature though, which would be really useful but is turning out to be difficult to implement.

As for stand-alone deck plan rederings, if that's what you mean, we may produce larger versions of the deck-map images and put them on our website for reference.

@maxx42: Sounds like your video card is just not compatible with Torque. It has trouble with on-board cards, and prefers an after-market NVidia or ATI. If you have Intel on-board we frequently see problems with that. If you have NVidia or ATI and it still is not working, then perhaps post your console.log file from the game directory and I will look for error messages there.

Thanks for the feedback everyone

Cheers
Paul
Old July 15 2013, 07:54 PM   #40
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

Paul, I did check into options and it must not like my laptop's sound electronics. Any fixs in the future?
Old July 15 2013, 08:07 PM   #41
GambitRealm
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'll look into it... As I said it's just an area that we never worked on, other than getting sound and music actually working in the game

I believe the music and sound are on different channels in the game, and that there are a few examples of working options screens in the various Torque 3D community threads on their site... So in theory we should be able to have independant volume controls. Like I said, I will take a look and post back here in a week or two if I have any luck.

Cheers
P
Old July 16 2013, 02:50 AM   #42
werdegast
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yes, I was wondering about stand-alone deck plans.
werdegast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 09:51 PM   #43
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

GambitRealm wrote: View Post
I'll look into it... As I said it's just an area that we never worked on, other than getting sound and music actually working in the game

I believe the music and sound are on different channels in the game, and that there are a few examples of working options screens in the various Torque 3D community threads on their site... So in theory we should be able to have independant volume controls. Like I said, I will take a look and post back here in a week or two if I have any luck.

Cheers
P
Thanks.
Old July 26 2013, 08:41 PM   #44
The Lensman
Fleet Captain

GambitRealm wrote: View Post
Only took two years, but for anybody still following this project / thread, I have good news!

I offer here the link to the first public release of the entire ship. Please feel free to download it and try it for yourself. We would welcome any feedback, as even though this is a "final" release of sorts it will always be a work-in-progress that we come back to from time to time. It's a labour of love

NCC1701: Exploration (RELEASE 1.0) download link:
http://gambitrealm.com/INSTALLER/download_release1.php

Enjoy everybody!

PS - we know there can never be ONE definitive version of the ship that gets EVERYTHING right (100% accurate to show, plus makes sense from a structural/engineering perspective, plus reconciles in some way with the various blueprints available), so we welcome any contributions from the community. We can take anybody's models and adapt them to drop into the engine, and we will give appropriate credit for anything submitted. We have already placed several original Trek-themed paintings around the ship that were donated by artist fans, and our background music was also composed and offered to us by a fan. So please, if you have a better looking transporter room / sickbay bed / computer console, etc, than we came up with, we would love to have your work in the game!

Live long and prosper

Cheers,
Paul Weston

Excellent work Paul! I think this is the first time we've gotten a complete 3d ship and I've spent several hours walking around. I took a turbo lift to the lowest deck, then explored each deck going all the way to the bridge by stair.

How many rooms are empty? I ask because on one walkthrough, the gym equipment wasn't there (nor were the game and piano in the secondary hull rec room) so now I'm wondering if some of the empty storage rooms have shelves or boxes or something?

The wood boxes texture is a bit jarring, I can probably whip something up a little more futuristic looking if you can give me some info on format, resolution, etc. I also have some basic modeling skills (very basic) but I might also be able to create some basic shapes to populate some of the storage rooms.

Anyway, despite any issues or limitations, it has been a blast being able to explore the ship and get a sense of it's size.