Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old July 12 2013, 10:10 AM   #16
Starkers
Admiral

Re: The 50th special will be feature length...

Not really, plenty of sub 90 minute films still get released at the cinema.

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 11:43 AM   #17
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Timofnine wrote: View Post
If it's having a limited world wide cinema release as planned then it actually needs to be feature length... I'm guessing around 1:30.
Do we know that it's having a worldwide cinema release, though? I wouldn't be surprised if the cinema release were a UK-only thing.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 02:43 PM   #18
intrinsical
Fleet Captain

A movie release would need to introduce The Doctor to potentially new audience. I doubt the 50th would make a good movie, it would be too steeped in DW lore and history for your typical movie audience.
Old July 12 2013, 02:55 PM   #19
The Wormhole
Admiral

intrinsical wrote: View Post
A movie release would need to introduce The Doctor to potentially new audience. I doubt the 50th would make a good movie, it would be too steeped in DW lore and history for your typical movie audience.
No one's saying it would be a movie, just that it would get a theatrical screening. Probably just something like a one night deal, like those TNG episodes that get theatrical screenings to tie in with the release of a new season on Blu-ray.
Old July 12 2013, 03:18 PM   #20
Green Lantern
Captain

I'd like it to be about as long as a film, a little shorter perhaps though.

Series 7 tried to cramp too much in for time, I don't want the 50th rushed.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 08:52 PM   #21
MacLeod
Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Timofnine wrote: View Post
If it's having a limited world wide cinema release as planned then it actually needs to be feature length... I'm guessing around 1:30.
Do we know that it's having a worldwide cinema release, though? I wouldn't be surprised if the cinema release were a UK-only thing.
It might get a limited cinema release in some cities outside of the UK, but I suspect even the UK release might be limited.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 08:54 PM   #22
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

I'll be happy with anything over 60 minutes.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 11:46 PM   #23
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

"Well over" an hour probably means 70+ minutes, which is to say well over fitting into an hour broadcast slot. 90 is being overly optimistic I'm afraid. They only had so much time to film and so many pages to work from. Perhaps they can surprise me though.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2013, 03:16 AM   #24
sttngfan1701d
Commodore

If the End of Time was 72 minutes, the 50th needs to be 90 minutes, or at least longer than The End of Time. Give us more than just a "special episode," please. It should be the biggest episode ever. If it were up to me, I would've made it 100 minutes. In a nod to the classic series story length.
sttngfan1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2013, 08:07 AM   #25
Konata Izumi
Commander

You have to combine it with the show about Wilfelm Hurndell to get the full anniversary programming. It's just the two newest Doctors in the normal episode.
Konata Izumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2013, 09:32 AM   #26
Csalem
Commodore

Blogtor Who is saying 75 minutes running time:
http://blogtorwho.blogspot.ie/2013/0...rsary.html?m=1
Old July 23 2013, 02:08 PM   #27
The Wormhole
Admiral

Which makes sense. It's the longest any production of nu-Who. The End of Time Part 2 is also 75 minutes but after that, Journey's End at 65 minutes and then various Christmas specials 2009 gap year specials at 60 minutes. And I guess 75 is still low enough that they could have squeezed it into the filming window they had.
Old July 23 2013, 02:21 PM   #28
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

I imagine it'll be a 75-minute time slot, with the special (including a Christmas trailer) coming in a few minutes under that. Basically the same length as "Voyage of the Damned," which also shot in four weeks.
Old July 23 2013, 02:33 PM   #29
The Wormhole
Admiral

Huh, forgot about Voyage of the Damned. Still, nu-Who very rarely goes beyond 75 minutes, unless you count all of The End of Time as one single production, in which case that's 135 minutes. Which is actually pretty close to the six parters of the classic era.
Old July 26 2013, 12:43 PM   #30
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

This is The Sun reporting, so take it with a grain of salt...

A worldwide simulcast on November 23rd for the the anniversary special.

Global broadcasters yesterday agreed to the “simulcast” to avoid plot leakage.

The 3D episode goes out here on November 23 and is expected to air at 8pm on BBC1, so fans in LA will watch at noon while it airs in Sydney at 7am the next day.

It has been sold to 200 countries and is expected to reach more than 100 million viewers, making it the biggest-ever global drama simulcast.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote