Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 11 2013, 12:00 PM   #1756
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Just finished the fighting pit chapter in Meereen. The first genuinely exciting Dany chapter in the book.. and it's her ninth. Think it's quite interesting how Dany increasingly views her subjects as savages.

Pretty much everybody native to Essos is a dick.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2013, 02:49 PM   #1757
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

^^^ Or a mystic.

Or both...
Old July 11 2013, 07:07 PM   #1758
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Venardhi wrote: View Post
Renly and Loras are both hardly worth mentioning on the list of characters who are barely recognizable in the show, but remember that Loras was Renly's squire since he was a child. Renly was practically a big brother in addition to bring his lover (or rapist, some might argue, depending on how and how early their sexual relationship started). I can't see this Loras throwing himself to an almost certain death to siege a castle that the man who killed his lover isn't even in.

But seriously, after the shaving scene their characters were already well and truly assassinated.
So they showed Renly as a human instead of just Robert 2.0 (which he wasn't even really, once you get passed the skin) and this ruined his character? I thought TV Renly was much more sympathetic than Book Renly.

And Loras...well, he never had much of a character to begin with.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2013, 07:13 PM   #1759
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Renly in the show was completely white-washed, that's why you find him much more sympathetic.

Loras has even less personality in the show. He's a crude gay stereotype and his psychic powers told him Stannis was behind Renly's death and not Brienne.
Old July 11 2013, 07:17 PM   #1760
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Does human mean he has to be a petulant emasculated douche with as much charisma as a cactus?
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2013, 07:27 PM   #1761
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Nearing the end of ADWD. For all the huge flaws in pacing, structure and Essos worldbuilding, it builds to a pretty gripping climax. Definitely the weakest ASOIAF novel, but still better than 90% of fantasy out there.

Hope we get Cersei's walk of shame in the show
Old July 11 2013, 10:41 PM   #1762
Tom Hendricks
Tom Hendricks

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

I just started A Dance With Dragons, so I look forward to catching up with you.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2013, 11:21 PM   #1763
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

I hope you like Essos. A Feast For Crows was an adrenaline ride in comparison to the pacing in this book.

I got kinda fed up with the idea of more Meereen so I decided to check out some of George R.R. Martins short stories. Sandkings is really damn good. Very creepy, and very funny. I checked out the TV adaptation expecting fun fluff but it had fuck-all to do with the short story and was incredibly dumb. Which is weird as the writer also wrote one of my favourite TNG episodes The Measure of a Man.
Old July 12 2013, 04:40 AM   #1764
Anwar
Vice Admiral

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Renly in the show was completely white-washed, that's why you find him much more sympathetic.

Loras has even less personality in the show. He's a crude gay stereotype and his psychic powers told him Stannis was behind Renly's death and not Brienne.
There was a deleted scene that showed Loras thinking it over and realizing that Brienne wouldn't have killed Renly, and that it was clearly something supernatural that killed Renly (he inspects the armor and sees that the kind of injury Renly died from was something a human in the room couldn't have given him).

Does human mean he has to be a petulant emasculated douche with as much charisma as a cactus?
I felt more sympathy and humanity from him in that whole scene where he's with Robert at his last hunt than I ever did in the books.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 05:58 AM   #1765
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile

DalekJim wrote: View Post
I got kinda fed up with the idea of more Meereen so I decided to check out some of George R.R. Martins short stories. Sandkings is really damn good.
I loved that story when I read it way back when, especially as it's such a mirror-universe version of one of the best sf stories ever written imho, "Microcosmic God" by Theodore Sturgeon.

I've thought of GRRM as "the guy who wrote 'Sandkings'" for years...

Last edited by Klaus; July 12 2013 at 06:41 AM.
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 07:55 AM   #1766
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Grab Dreamsongs 1 and 2. While not everything is up there with A Song for Lya or Sandkings, there is plenty to make the occasional thuds worth reading through.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Old July 12 2013, 08:02 AM   #1767
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Anwar wrote: View Post
I felt more sympathy and humanity from him in that whole scene where he's with Robert at his last hunt than I ever did in the books.
Great, he is pathetic. That misses the point of him entirely. Renly should have been the man we all wanted to be King. A stilled warrior, a charmer, all muscles and royal swagger. The picture of a fantasy king. Instead, by the time he confronts Stannis he just looks like a whiny kid and I couldn't wait for the shadow baby to do him in.
Old July 12 2013, 12:45 PM   #1768
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

I actually think Renly was pretty well cast, but his character wasn't translated right to screen. I also hate how Stannis doesn't particularly care Renly is dead, whereas in the books he suffered horrible nightmares afterwards and regretted his decision.

Venardhi wrote: View Post
Grab Dreamsongs 1 and 2. While not everything is up there with A Song for Lya or Sandkings, there is plenty to make the occasional thuds worth reading through.
I plan on reading all of GRRM's work over the course of this year. I haven't been this obsessed with an author's work since I got hooked on Robert A Heinlein.
Old July 12 2013, 01:00 PM   #1769
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

I didn't care for the casting of Robert or Renly myself, but Addy managed to pull off his character well enough at least.
Old July 12 2013, 01:24 PM   #1770
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

For all the many faults the show has, I think the majority of the casting decisions are superb. I hope we get the guy who played The Mountain in Season 1 for the Red Viper duel though, instead of the Season 2 guy. He didn't fit the role.