Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Vote for the Actor who you think played Batman and Bruce Wayne well
Christian Bale as Batman 18 37.50%
Christian Bale as Bruce Wayne 21 43.75%
Val Kilmer as Batman 5 10.42%
Val Kilmer as Bruce Wayne 3 6.25%
George Clooney as Batman 1 2.08%
George Clooney as Bruce Wayne 7 14.58%
Michael Keaton as Batman 25 52.08%
Michael Keaton as Bruce Wayne 24 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 11 2013, 10:18 PM   #16
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Re: Multiple Choice Vote for your favorite Batman and Bruce Wayne

I can't vote in any Batman poll that excludes Kevin Conroy. That man's voice is Batman to me. When I read a Batman comic, that is what I hear. When I think of Batman, it is his Batman that comes to mind.
Old July 11 2013, 10:24 PM   #17
Relayer1
Commodore

I haven't really liked any of the Bats/Bruces or, excepting The Dark Knight, any of the films.
Old July 11 2013, 10:35 PM   #18
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Nagisa Furukawa wrote: View Post
For sure. Given that the thread doesn't specify live action, I was disappointed Kevin Conroy wasn't on this list. His Batman is just absolutely iconic. Out of the choices here, I vote Keaton for both (and would vote Keaton for Bruce Wayne even if Conroy was there for Batman).
Personally, I will go further and say I would vote for Conroy as Batman, Clooney for the vapid Bruce Wayne playboy persona, and Keaton for the "real" Bruce Wayne.

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
Burton's Gotham is certainly the more comic-like one. Not necessarily like the comic Gotham itself, though they later retconned it to look like Anton Furst's Gotham, but it looked like something that belonged purely in a comic book world rather than something that could possibly exist in the real world like Nolan's Gotham did. It was definitely the more whimsical (while dark) and creative production design. I appreciate both styles for what they are, but I think the Nolan films are better movies overall.
I loved the realism of Nolan. I went out from Begins thinking "Wow, this guy really made me believe that dressing up like a bat could really be a good idea to fight crime". I mean, that's something, right?
Old July 12 2013, 02:29 AM   #19
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Locutus of Bored wrote:
It would have been nice to see how he would have handled the character in a proper Batman film and not an Ice Capades show.
Too true...
Old July 12 2013, 02:53 AM   #20
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

I went for Clooney on both. I honestly think he was a good Bruce Wayne because he has the right looks and charm to pull it off. I went with him as Batman due to the other options not being good ones. I admit B&R is a terrible, terrible movie and Clooney was given nothing to work with but that's not his fault. I think he did the "best" he could with the material. *No one* could have made the jokes in that movie work.

Why not Keaton for either role? When I think of Bruce Wayne I think of a handsome playboy (m)billionare. Not some pudgy middle-aged man which is why him as Batman doesn't work either. The rigid rubber muscles on the suit being a big sticking point.

Val Kilmer? I'm pretty sure he never made it into the actual movie. What we see in the movie is just one of those stand-in cut outs they use before inserting digital effects. They just ran out of money and were never able to insert Kilmer into the scenes and left the place holder there and thought no one would notice. We didn't.

Which leaves us with Bale. He does the handsome playboy Bruce Wayne good but almost too far into it. Bruce Wayne is still supposed to be somewhat cognizant of his surroundings and a capable businessman not a rich trust-fund idiot "crashing his car because he's trying to beat a light." As for his Batman...

Old July 12 2013, 07:49 AM   #21
EmoBorg
Captain

I voted for Michael Keaton in both category. He is a class act all the way. Christian Bale is my second choice as Bruce Wayne and Val Kilmer is my second choice Batman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z9R57maGvc
EmoBorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 12:05 PM   #22
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

Kevin Conroy would have been my only choice but out of the choices; Christian Bale had the most realistic Batman. George Clooney could have been the best Bruce Wayne if not for the script. Michael Keaton also won my Batman vote regardless that he's the only batman that killed people.
bbjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 01:05 PM   #23
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Conroy will get my vote every time.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 06:20 PM   #24
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

bbjeg wrote: View Post
Michael Keaton also won my Batman vote regardless that he's the only batman that killed people.
Bale's Batman killed:

* Ra's al Ghul ( hairsplitting aside )
* Harvey Dent
* Talia ( essentially ) and the truck driver
Old July 12 2013, 06:34 PM   #25
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

There is an argument to be had there, but I'm not going to be the one to have it.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 07:37 PM   #26
AviTrek
Fleet Captain

I would vote Conroy for Batman and Bale as Bruce Wayne, but I'm not voting because Conroy wasn't included.
AviTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 07:51 PM   #27
marksound
Fleet Captain

Personally, I don't like Bale as Batman or Bruce Wayne. I don't get the appeal.

Keaton was great, Kilmer was ok. Clooney might have been great, but the film was so bad it's hard to see how. (Chris O'Donnell was pretty good as Robin in both films.)

I agree that Conroy's voice defines Batman as a character, but he wouldn't work onscreen. So that eliminates him.

Considering all that, I still have to go with Kevin Porter as the best onscreen Batman I've ever seen. Check out City of Scars. The writing is just ok, and some of the acting is barely passable, but Porter IS Batman.

(FYI, I'm not affiliated in any way with Bat In The Sun Productions. Just a fan.)
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 08:52 PM   #28
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Set Harth wrote: View Post
bbjeg wrote: View Post
Michael Keaton also won my Batman vote regardless that he's the only batman that killed people.
Bale's Batman killed:

* Ra's al Ghul ( hairsplitting aside )
* Harvey Dent
* Talia ( essentially ) and the truck driver
Ra's I agree, Harvey and Talia are different. Batman tackled Harvey Dent to prevent him from killing a child it just so happened that tackle resulted in Harvey falling off Unguarded Contstruction Site 272-A and supposedly dying. (Argument "could" be made he could have survived and his "death" was part of the cover-up.)

Talia is sort of in the same route, she died by the circumstances she was in, it was a crash in which she suffered fatal injuries.

Talia and Dent weren't "active kills" they were attacks or actions that resulted in a death. It sucks, sure, but it's a whole lot different that what happened Ra's. In that case Batman made a CHOICE to kill someone, or let them get lead into a death. Ra's was incapacitated by and large and his plan was going to fail. Batman had won, all he had to do was take Ra's out of the train with him and let the police take it from there. "I won't kill you, but I won't save you" is a shitty cop out. Batman made a CHOICE there to kill someone. It wasn't a "kill or be killed/let someone else be killed" situation it wasn't a situation where quick action needed to take place that happened to result in a death. This was Batman ELECTING to kill someone, or have them die. That's very, very, different.
Old July 12 2013, 09:40 PM   #29
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'

If we count events from slightly before he officially became Batman, Bruce also killed the Ras decoy and a buttload of ninjas in the League of Shadows' mountain lair. It's another one of those situations where it was in self-defense/defense of others, and I don't have any problem with his actions, but just throwing it out there as another example.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 10:52 PM   #30
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Harvey and Talia are different. Batman tackled Harvey Dent to prevent him from killing a child it just so happened that tackle resulted in Harvey falling off Unguarded Contstruction Site 272-A and supposedly dying.
That's still killing him, though, which was my point. When you tackle someone off the edge of a construction site at that height and they're completely unprotected in any way, you're making the choice to potentially kill them.

The Joker even says outright in the film that he expects to see Batman break his "one rule", and the end of the film pays this off.

(Argument "could" be made he could have survived and his "death" was part of the cover-up.)
That argument was on dubious ground to begin with, and with the release of TDKR it was fully extinct. Much like Harvey.

Talia is sort of in the same route, she died by the circumstances she was in, it was a crash in which she suffered fatal injuries.
So she died from bad driving? And I take it the truck driver died from heart failure, as opposed to the explosive rounds being fired in his general direction?