Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

New Trek Puzzles
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Star Trek Online: Delta Rising
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 11 2013, 05:32 PM   #46
Forbin
Admiral

Re: League of Extraordinary Gentlemen gets pilot order at Fox

Tosk wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
Summer Glau has been on so many cancelled shows because she gets hired on so many shows.
She only gets hired on so many shows because her shows keep getting cancelled, freeing her up to be hired on other shows.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2013, 10:57 PM   #47
RJDementia13
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

I really hope this is done as a period piece. It will hardly be worth it otherwise.
Old July 11 2013, 11:24 PM   #48
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
I really hope this is done as a period piece. It will hardly be worth it otherwise.
I was thinking without Moore's writing or the movie's budget if it justified the effort. I believe Moore's later volumes were set in later time periods as well. I guess it would depend on whether the showrunners were interested and invested in that setting.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 12:39 AM   #49
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Tosk wrote: View Post
Summer Glau has been on so many cancelled shows because she gets hired on so many shows.
She only gets hired on so many shows because her shows keep getting cancelled, freeing her up to be hired on other shows.
And there are many, many actors you could say the exact same thing about. Most shows get cancelled. That is the norm, not the exception. There are far, far more short-lived TV series than long-lived ones.
Yeah, I know. But you could detect my tone of jest, surely? I wasn't actually arguing with your point.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 03:17 AM   #50
Christopher
Writer

^It's hard to tell over the Internet. There are people out there who seem to sincerely believe this myth.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 03:25 AM   #51
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
I was thinking without Moore's writing or the movie's budget if it justified the effort. I believe Moore's later volumes were set in later time periods as well. I guess it would depend on whether the showrunners were interested and invested in that setting.
Yeah, he moved forward in time with each volume. One of the more recent ones took place in the 1960s and the 2000s.
Old July 12 2013, 03:32 AM   #52
Dream
Admiral

Isn't PBS always showing low budget period piece shows? It doesn't seem that hard to do a show during that era.

Whether that kind of show with will attract an audience is another matter entirely!
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 03:37 AM   #53
Christopher
Writer

Dream wrote: View Post
Isn't PBS always showing low budget period piece shows? It doesn't seem that hard to do a show during that era.
I think those are usually imports from England.

Isn't The CW doing a spinoff of The Vampire Diaries that's set entirely in the past?

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 09:31 AM   #54
RJDementia13

^^ No, that will be set in contemporary New Orleans, although they do seem to be going for a retro atmosphere.

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Yeah, he moved forward in time with each volume. One of the more recent ones took place in the 1960s and the 2000s.
But he uses different characters in different eras.

Dream wrote: View Post

Whether that kind of show with will attract an audience is another matter entirely!
It probably wouldn't, unfortunately, but I like those period pieces.
Old July 12 2013, 10:04 AM   #55
Tosk
Rear Admiral

^It's hard to tell over the Internet. There are people out there who seem to sincerely believe this myth.
My apologies then. It wasn't my intent to annoy anyone, just having a laugh.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 02:34 PM   #56
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

^^ No, that will be set in contemporary New Orleans, although they do seem to be going for a retro atmosphere.

Some of the characters are immortal or long lived, so they show up in many eras. Mina, Alan and Orlando have been in almost every volume.
Old July 13 2013, 04:05 AM   #57
JD
Admiral

I wonder if the success or failure of NBC's Dracula will impact the chances of seeing this go to series? It is kind of similar, they are both Victorian England fantasies.
Old July 13 2013, 09:35 AM   #58
RJDementia13

Some of the characters are immortal or long lived, so they show up in many eras. Mina, Alan and Orlando have been in almost every volume.
True, and that would be fine. I just wouldn't want to see a Sherlock-like update.
Old July 13 2013, 04:42 PM   #59
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

True, and that would be fine. I just wouldn't want to see a Sherlock-like update.
That would kind of defeat the purpose, as the concept is literary characters teaming up. That can be used in different eras, as Moore has done. I can see them doing a Once Upon A Time and having parallel plotlines set in different eras, with the "immortals" appearing in both.
Old July 14 2013, 03:17 AM   #60
JD
Admiral

I just read about the modern story on Wikipedia........ and I guess Moore isn't a Harry Potter fan.