Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old July 11 2013, 06:37 PM   #16
Ryan8bit
Commodore

Re: Star Trek Into Darkness out on Blu-ray/DVD September 10th

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
They're actually finally going to cough up an explanation as to why they kept Cumberbatch's role a secret? That should be interesting.
It's probably the same explanation they had before the movie. They used Terminator 2 as a comparison saying that the movie was actually crafted in a way that you weren't supposed to know that Arnold was the good guy, but that the marketing gave it all away. I think that example is debatable, but the point they were going for is that they didn't want to spoil any kind of twist. Of course, in retrospect it wasn't really all that great of a twist and didn't really serve much of a point.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2013, 06:57 PM   #17
The Wormhole
Admiral

I'm more thinking about the interview where Orci described the creative process of creating a new character to be the villain and then once that character was created they decided to make him Khan for obvious marketing reasons. But then they kept the fact he was Khan a secret, thereby preventing them from cashing in on this marketing possibility.

I don't know, the whole thing made Abrams and his gang look like petulant five year olds. "I know a secret and I'm not telling."
Old July 11 2013, 07:14 PM   #18
Ryan8bit
Commodore

I don't know, the whole thing made Abrams and his gang look like petulant five year olds. "I know a secret and I'm not telling."
I disagree. Sometimes part of being creative is that you don't want to spoil all of your surprises or that you just want everything to be fresh. That's not childish at all, it's just part of wanting to make an impactful presentation. Maybe the way they went about it was a little weird though.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2013, 08:00 PM   #19
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Ryan8bit wrote: View Post
I disagree. Sometimes part of being creative is that you don't want to spoil all of your surprises or that you just want everything to be fresh. That's not childish at all, it's just part of wanting to make an impactful presentation. Maybe the way they went about it was a little weird though.
But it was a surprise that was no surprise at all.
Old July 11 2013, 08:58 PM   #20
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Enterprise is Great wrote: View Post
Yay !!!

DVD/BluRay number 766 coming right up !
Old July 12 2013, 03:05 AM   #21
The Wormhole
Admiral

Which is what I meant. It was bad enough when they kept the identity of Cumberbatch's role a secret for nearly a year teasing he was playing someone from canon and then announcing he was playing a character named John Harrison. Then it basically came to the point that they were telling everyone there was a twist in the movie involving the villain but they wouldn't say what the twist was. You want to keep a twist a secret? Don't tell people it's in the movie.

Now the way they should have handled it was to announce when Cumberbatch was cast that he was playing John Harrison and not give any hints about that name being an alias. You want to do this sort of thing correctly, look at Batman Begins. Liam Neeson was announced as playing Ducard. That satisfied people wanting information and place a spotlight on the character and therefore when he's revealed to be Ra's Al Ghul, it is unexpected. That is a twist.

Instead, with Cumberbatch cast but his character not announced, it led to months of speculation as to who he was playing. When asked in interviews, the Bad Robot gang hint it's someone we might be familiar with, drawing more attention and a bigger spotlight on the character. When fans were certain it was Khan, the announcement is made that he's John Harrison. Fans assume this to be an alias, and Bad Robot hints this maybe so. Essentially, when silence could have served the twist better they instead draw attention by saying "there's a twist but we're not telling you what it is." And that is childish. No other word to describe it.

By the time the revelation is made in the movie everyone is just like "well fucking duh." Really sloppy way to handle that. I hope next time they don't try to play this game at all.
Old July 12 2013, 03:44 AM   #22
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Roboturner913 wrote: View Post
I'll probably buy it if they do the model ship packaging again.
There is a "limited edition gift set" that comes with a phaser replica.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 08:02 AM   #23
Mama Claus
Captain

I won't quote it in full as it's so long, but I must say I agree 100% with The Wormhole above. That said, I've never liked the slimy Khan played by Montalban, the Cumberbatch cold Khan is much better. That said, I don't think the film would have suffered at all even if Harrison had been simply an augment named Harrison.
Old July 12 2013, 08:47 AM   #24
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

in retrospect it wasn't really all that great of a twist and didn't really serve much of a point.
Mmmm, I dunno. I rather enjoyed the experience of watching all the red herrings unfold. And seeing the expression on nickyboy's face, (ie. my TrekBBS companion on premiere night). Little niggly feelings up and down the spine. Not really knowing for sure what Harrison was going to announce when he says, "My name is..."

And then the second viewing is a whole new experience.

It reminded me a bit of the misdirection in ST II, when Spock is seen to die in the simulator. You think, "Already?" Then everyone else dies (of over-acting), and then Kirk walks in like the Second Coming and resurrects them all. It's also a very different experience, that second viewing of ST II, because you watch it in full knowledge of what will unfold.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 01:58 PM   #25
Tiberius13
Cadet

Any idea why the special Wal-Mart edition with the USS Vengeance is slated for a Dec 31 release as opposed to Sep 10 like the others? I really want that ship!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Star-Trek-...#ProductDetail
Tiberius13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 02:20 PM   #26
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

I am looking forward to DELETED SCENES!!!!!!!!

Hopefully there are some.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 02:37 PM   #27
The Wormhole
Admiral

maneth wrote: View Post
I won't quote it in full as it's so long, but I must say I agree 100% with The Wormhole above. That said, I've never liked the slimy Khan played by Montalban, the Cumberbatch cold Khan is much better. That said, I don't think the film would have suffered at all even if Harrison had been simply an augment named Harrison.
Does he even have to be an Augment? If the villain were John Harrison, renegade Starfleet officer turned terrorist fighting for an ideology you'd still have the same movie. The only real change is that there'd be no magic blood that can cure death, but all that means is we can't kill Kirk and rip TWOK off.
Old July 12 2013, 11:00 PM   #28
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Tiberius13 wrote: View Post
Any idea why the special Wal-Mart edition with the USS Vengeance is slated for a Dec 31 release as opposed to Sep 10 like the others? I really want that ship!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Star-Trek-...#ProductDetail
Maybe the Dec. 31 was just a placeholder date, to be revised once the actual release date became known?
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 11:27 PM   #29
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile

No word on an iTunes release date (the Store has an entry for the film although they don't mention a date), although I would guess it'd be roundabout the same time as the DVD/BD date. Sometimes films make iTunes earlier than the disc versions, though.
Old July 12 2013, 11:30 PM   #30
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Don't you think it is more a matter of whether the payoff is worth it? I mean, I can see why Fincher didn't want the weird Tyler Durden reveal publicized before FIGHT CLUB came out, because a good hunk of his audience hadn't read the novel. But that's keeping a secret for a difference that MAKES a difference, whereas this is ... just gimmicky, maybe?
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote