RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,600
Posts: 5,424,707
Members: 24,810
Currently online: 419
Newest member: David Ellerman

TrekToday headlines

September Loot Crate Features Trek Surprise
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

USS Enterprise Miniature Out For Refit
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Comic Crossover
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Gaming

Trek Gaming Program Complete - Enter When Ready.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 11 2013, 04:32 PM   #16
SarYehudah
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Location: Margaritaville, Florida
Re: Any Casual STO Players?

Sadly STO has an extreme nickel and dime approach. If you make a leveling mistake, you have to pay to fix it. In order to buy an item more than 10 mil credits, you have to pay 5 bucks to remove the cap. Not enough inventory space? (there isn't enough) You have to pay 4 dollars, 4 times, on 1 character to max space out. It doesn't even cross over to other chars. Not enough bank space? 3 bucks, 4 times, for 1 character. You can waste day after day slaving away getting dilithium ore to exchange for zen. But that's real fun, especially how illiberal it is with the ore and that you cannot refine more than 8k per day.
SarYehudah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2013, 05:29 PM   #17
Tribble puncher
Commander
 
Tribble puncher's Avatar
 
Location: Lexington, KY
Re: Any Casual STO Players?

Rocketeer wrote: View Post
Haggis and tatties - I read an article (perhaps on TrekToday) that said that EU players could sell their accounts. Something about the EU laws on digital ownership. So if you're an EU citizen residing in Glasgow, that may be an option. (I'm not an EU citizen, so can't speak with authority on the subject.)

However, I recommend keeping your account incase you ever want to jump back into the game.
Good luck trying to see that one pass here in the States....House and Senate Republicans would go out into the streets and take hostages to stop that from going through...
Tribble puncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2013, 06:04 PM   #18
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor
 
Timelord Victorious's Avatar
 
Location: Germany, Earth, the Solar System
Re: Any Casual STO Players?

SarYehudah wrote: View Post
Sadly STO has an extreme nickel and dime approach. If you make a leveling mistake, you have to pay to fix it. In order to buy an item more than 10 mil credits, you have to pay 5 bucks to remove the cap. Not enough inventory space? (there isn't enough) You have to pay 4 dollars, 4 times, on 1 character to max space out. It doesn't even cross over to other chars. Not enough bank space? 3 bucks, 4 times, for 1 character. You can waste day after day slaving away getting dilithium ore to exchange for zen. But that's real fun, especially how illiberal it is with the ore and that you cannot refine more than 8k per day.
Well, you have the choice between alá carte play or sub. Many of those benefits are included already and aloow higher slot caps already like the EC limit on all characters or additional free bank space and lots of other quality of life services for Gold players.

The whole game is completely free to play. You don't need to pay a single dime and if you still want extra services you can work for them ingame through the exchange. No one is forced to pay real money ever.
The money route is just mor convenient and faster of course. And apparently enough people have enough money to burn to make that possible for true free players.
When I compare the F2P model with what TOR is doing I can only pull my imaginary hat to the devs at Cryptic. Their model is leaps and bounds better and more fair.
Everything you unlock through whatever means you keep forever and eventually you get to a point where you maxed all that stuff and don't even have to pay extra for convenience anymore.... Consumables for extended access to flashpoints, pvp matches, operations?!?!?!? Not in STO!
Timelord Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2013, 06:46 PM   #19
TheRoyalFamily
Commodore
 
TheRoyalFamily's Avatar
 
Re: Any Casual STO Players?

If you get tired of the grind, just stop playing. The game isn't going anywhere [yet]. Your stuff isn't going anywhere (unless it's in your mailbox - that gets cleared out with inactivity). If you're gold, just cancel the sub before you stop LTS and silver players can just start right back up in a few weeks/months. I've done it two or three times.

SarYehudah wrote: View Post
If you make a leveling mistake, you have to pay to fix it.
How many games let you fix leveling mistakes at all?
__________________
You perceive wrongly. I feel unimaginable happiness wasting time talking with women. I'm that type of human.
TheRoyalFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 12:00 AM   #20
Tribble puncher
Commander
 
Tribble puncher's Avatar
 
Location: Lexington, KY
Re: Any Casual STO Players?

Anyone found a Risan bird egg yet?I find the birds themselves, but no egg to hatch....
Tribble puncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 12:25 AM   #21
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor
 
Timelord Victorious's Avatar
 
Location: Germany, Earth, the Solar System
Re: Any Casual STO Players?

Tons of them, have more than so can hatch.
Timelord Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 04:54 AM   #22
Tribble puncher
Commander
 
Tribble puncher's Avatar
 
Location: Lexington, KY
Re: Any Casual STO Players?

are there common places to find them?
Tribble puncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 06:37 AM   #23
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor
 
Timelord Victorious's Avatar
 
Location: Germany, Earth, the Solar System
Re: Any Casual STO Players?

Just keep doing the horghan hunt.
Timelord Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 07:39 AM   #24
J. Allen
Taste The Rainbow™
 
J. Allen's Avatar
 
Location: Equestria
Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: Any Casual STO Players?

SarYehudah wrote: View Post
Sadly STO has an extreme nickel and dime approach. If you make a leveling mistake, you have to pay to fix it. In order to buy an item more than 10 mil credits, you have to pay 5 bucks to remove the cap. Not enough inventory space? (there isn't enough) You have to pay 4 dollars, 4 times, on 1 character to max space out. It doesn't even cross over to other chars. Not enough bank space? 3 bucks, 4 times, for 1 character. You can waste day after day slaving away getting dilithium ore to exchange for zen. But that's real fun, especially how illiberal it is with the ore and that you cannot refine more than 8k per day.
I consider STO to be one of the best examples of a good Free-to-Play system. Compare it to Star Wars: The Old Republic, and you'll see what I mean. STO is surprisingly generous with what you can do without paying.
__________________
I tried to make a deal with the Devil, once. Turns out I didn't have anything he wanted.
-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
You will never find a more welcome hive of love and humility.
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 08:07 AM   #25
intrinsical
Fleet Captain
 
intrinsical's Avatar
 
Location: Singapore
Re: Any Casual STO Players?

Yes, most other games claim to be free-to-play are nothing more than free demos. They block your character's advancement as well as access to good equipment behind expensive pay walls.

I've always maintained that Cryptic's a good company who try to give the best to players. That is why with Cryptic's games (Star Trek Online, Neverwinter Online, Champions Online), all players gets to play the full game, gets access to good equipment all for free.
__________________
USS Sentinel, Luna Class (STO)
intrinsical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 10:01 AM   #26
Rocketeer
Captain
 
Rocketeer's Avatar
 
Location: Wiesbaden, Germany
Re: Any Casual STO Players?

You folks have some good comments about Cryptic/STO.

One thing that I like about STO is that most items you buy from the C store are available to all your characters. I haven't seen that in the other games I've tried.
Rocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2013, 01:35 PM   #27
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral
 
Haggis and tatties's Avatar
 
Location: Glasgow
Re: Any Casual STO Players?

Tribble puncher wrote: View Post
Rocketeer wrote: View Post
Haggis and tatties - I read an article (perhaps on TrekToday) that said that EU players could sell their accounts. Something about the EU laws on digital ownership. So if you're an EU citizen residing in Glasgow, that may be an option. (I'm not an EU citizen, so can't speak with authority on the subject.)

However, I recommend keeping your account incase you ever want to jump back into the game.
Good luck trying to see that one pass here in the States....House and Senate Republicans would go out into the streets and take hostages to stop that from going through...
Well i could not find anything about this law, but since i posted about not playing it any more few people have stated a intrest in buying my LTS, so light at the end of the tunnel for me STO wise.
__________________

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2013, 09:51 AM   #28
Rocketeer
Captain
 
Rocketeer's Avatar
 
Location: Wiesbaden, Germany
Re: Any Casual STO Players?

Unless you know your buyer, I would suggest using an escrow service.

I also suggest asking Cryptic about the account terms for UK players. You should try to keep it legal; however, I won't beat you over the head about it. Good luck.
Rocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2013, 10:29 AM   #29
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral
 
Haggis and tatties's Avatar
 
Location: Glasgow
Re: Any Casual STO Players?

I doubt PW would allow the transfer of account, although i remember seeing them being sold on eBay at one point, but it will be done via paypal, if it happens, i already had somebody say they wanted to buy it, then try and get my log in detail as they wanted to try it first to see if it was worth it. lol
__________________

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2013, 12:14 PM   #30
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor
 
Timelord Victorious's Avatar
 
Location: Germany, Earth, the Solar System
Re: Any Casual STO Players?

Haggis and tatties wrote: View Post
I doubt PW would allow the transfer of account, although i remember seeing them being sold on eBay at one point, but it will be done via paypal, if it happens, i already had somebody say they wanted to buy it, then try and get my log in detail as they wanted to try it first to see if it was worth it. lol
Well, that's easy. You meet them in game, and show them all your lifetime items and perks plus all your c-store purchases if they want to evaluate the account.
All your toons, I guess, will be deleted anyway before the transfer, right?
Timelord Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.