Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

View Poll Results: Will you be getting a PS4 and/or Xbox One ?
I'll get both 10 11.36%
Staying with Playstation (PS3 to PS4) 45 51.14%
Staying with Xbox (360 to One) 12 13.64%
Changing to Playstation (360 to PS4) 21 23.86%
Changing to Xbox (PS3 to One) 0 0%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 11 2013, 01:19 PM   #151
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

Re: Will you be getting a PS4 or an Xbox One ?

If you have two 360s only one can be the main xbox and have full access to all digital content online and off, the other console will only have access to any digital content if it's signed into xblive, if not all digital content will be unplayable on said console.

If you have two PS3 both have full access to all digital content online and off, reguardless of what account is signed in, as long as the account that bought the content remains on the PS3/s.

Wii-U/Wii, well that's just a mess, all content is locked to the console and account, your console goes down the drain you just lost all your digital content, all you can do is send it to Nintendo in the hope they can repair it and get your digital content back.

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2013, 07:43 PM   #152
Relayer1
Commodore

Well, the Xbox is out and the PS4 due soon. Amazon reports the PS4 easily out preordered the Xbox.

Anyone changed their mind ?
Old November 22 2013, 07:52 PM   #153
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
Anyone changed their mind ?
Yes - I went from "staying with Xbox" to "getting both".

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2013, 07:54 PM   #154
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

If only they knew that all they needed to do was releasing GTA V for the PS4. I'd buy two, that's how happy they would make me.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2013, 08:25 PM   #155
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

The engineer in me will never get anything 1.0 fresh out of the gates. Going to wait for a while for the bugs to shake out and, hopefully, for a non-Kinnect SKU to become available. Rumors have said this might happen Q1 2014. We'll see...
Old November 22 2013, 08:26 PM   #156
ATimson
Rear Admiral

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
The engineer in me will never get anything 1.0 fresh out of the gates.
The programmer in me wants the new shiny toys, 1.0 be damned. Besides, the PS4 is technically 1.51 right now.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
Old November 22 2013, 09:30 PM   #157
MacLeod
Admiral

Some consumers will wait until a specific game comes out before getting either the Xbox One or PS4. i.e Halo 5 for the Xbox One, when that is released it might shift a few consoles.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2013, 09:35 PM   #158
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

I would consider a PS4 if it had a decent version of Gauntlet Legends or Gauntlet Dark Legacy. Unfortunately it doesn't seem that it will; AFAIK, the 2 was the last PlayStation console to have any Gauntlet game.

(I used to have a Dreamcast, back in the day. I bought it just to play GL.)

As for the XBox? Forget it. I will not, under any circumstances, give Micro$oft any of my money. I don't care how many Gauntlet games IT might get.

(Yes, as you can see, I like Gauntlet. )

I have heard talk that some people get PS3s or PS4s just for the Blu-Ray functionality. I always thought that was kind of weird. Why get a game console if you're not playing any games? Sony makes perfectly good BR players...
Old November 22 2013, 10:02 PM   #159
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I have heard talk that some people get PS3s or PS4s just for the Blu-Ray functionality. I always thought that was kind of weird. Why get a game console if you're not playing any games? Sony makes perfectly good BR players...
It used to be that the PS3 was cheaper than (or the same price as) a decent Blu-ray player. That's changed in the last few years, but for a while it made the most sense.

Old November 23 2013, 12:18 AM   #160
Relayer1
Commodore

Yeah, I got a PS3 as a Bluray player - it was one of the best on the market at the time, and my son was happy with it as a games console. I gave up gaming after the PS1 !
Old November 23 2013, 12:56 AM   #161
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

I changed my mind from "Xbox One pre-order" to "Xbox One purchase in 2014." That didn't have anything to do with either of the consoles, though - I had to purchase a new vehicle, which was a bit more important a new gaming system.
PsychoPere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2013, 12:14 PM   #162
EmoBorg
Captain

I owned an original Xbox until it was stolen in 2006. I currently own a Xbox 360. I am a big Halo fan. Even though I dislike Microsoft new rules, I have not decided yet on which console to buy. I dislike Sony controllers. They are too small. Xbox controllers are the right size for my hands. I must take a look at the exclusive PS4 titles before I decide.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fy4cqWMhyI
EmoBorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2013, 04:10 PM   #163
ATimson
Rear Admiral

EmoBorg wrote: View Post
I dislike Sony controllers. They are too small. Xbox controllers are the right size for my hands. I must take a look at the exclusive PS4 titles before I decide.
I had the exact same feeling about prior generations of Sony controllers. The DualShock 4 fixes this problem, in my book. It's big enough now, and the triggers are no longer mushy crap. (And game developers noticed - they're now using the triggers instead of the bumpers in FPSes.)

Stop by your local store and give the PS4 controllers a go.

Old November 23 2013, 04:41 PM   #164
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

One thing I wish more gaming and tech sites would focus on is the absurdity that MS released an all-encompassing media box and then put most of the media functionality behind the Xbox Live paywall. The consensus seems to be that the PS4 is the better games console and that the Xbox One is the better media centre, but that's only true if you're willing to pay the subscription. Netflix and other VOD apps are behind the paywall, Skype is behind the paywall, the internet browser is behind the paywall, even the live TV stuff is behind the paywall. With a free account all you can do on the console is play singleplayer games and watch blu-rays, which makes it a pretty crappy media centre.

For someone like me, someone that has little interest in online multiplayer but wants to be able to watch Netflix and use other online services on my TV, the PS4 is the far more attractive option. MS have done a decent job of backtracking on most of their unpopular policies, but until MS backs down on that asinine paywall for third-party services, I'm not even going to consider getting the Xbox One over the PS4.
Old November 23 2013, 09:34 PM   #165
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
One thing I wish more gaming and tech sites would focus on is the absurdity that MS released an all-encompassing media box and then put most of the media functionality behind the Xbox Live paywall. The consensus seems to be that the PS4 is the better games console and that the Xbox One is the better media centre, but that's only true if you're willing to pay the subscription. Netflix and other VOD apps are behind the paywall, Skype is behind the paywall, the internet browser is behind the paywall, even the live TV stuff is behind the paywall. With a free account all you can do on the console is play singleplayer games and watch blu-rays, which makes it a pretty crappy media centre.

For someone like me, someone that has little interest in online multiplayer but wants to be able to watch Netflix and use other online services on my TV, the PS4 is the far more attractive option. MS have done a decent job of backtracking on most of their unpopular policies, but until MS backs down on that asinine paywall for third-party services, I'm not even going to consider getting the Xbox One over the PS4.
I've noticed that too and it's kind of odd.

MS evidently has bigger plans for the XO other than just being a games console primarily and that's ok. However they are, at least in my eyes, actively hindering the proliferation of these features even so far that many of them won't work properly outside of the US or have only reduced features and offerings.

Now this is very early in this generation's cycle (d'uh) so things will improve and broaden but i'm wondering why MS isn't taking a clue from itself and do the same as with the Xbox 1 launch where they effectively gave it away just to break into the market and establish their own corner.

I've seen very few in depth reports about the multimedia functionality of the XO and that's puzzling giving how much MS initially advertised it (they even have the mandatory Kinect 2 in the bundle to take advantage of it) so where's the support?

It seems MS is no longer willing to take a loss and wants to make profits as soon as possible.. nothing wrong with that but i believe it to be a mistake if you want to introduce a big feature that people have not adopted yet and charge for it which is another obstacle to overcome which didn't have to be.

In another news:

MS reports 1 million sold units worldwide in the first 24 hours but Sony had this number with only North America.. Europe, Asia and the rest of the world are still to follow giving the impression that this generation the PS4 will blow the XO out of the water saleswise (however, as always, too soon to tell definitely).