USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old July 11 2013, 08:45 AM   #1
Roboturner913
Lieutenant Commander

Kirk-Spock-Uhura interplay

Has anybody else noticed that Uhura pretty much seems to have taken over McCoy's spot as the third wheel from the original universe?

Seems to me most of the memorable character moments and humor come out when these three are on screen together.

I just saw Into Darkness today and although I am not in love with the new movies, there are a few things I really appreciate about them and this is one of those things.
Roboturner913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2013, 09:26 AM   #2
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Kirk-Spock-Uhura interplay

Oh god I thought this was going to be something else entirely.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2013, 09:45 AM   #3
serenitytrek1
Commander

the third most important character in into darkness was scotty.

uhura was only used in all the marketing and promotions because she is a girl.

scotty had more screen time than both McCoy and uhura.

yeah .....this topic has been discussed to death...I even started a thread on this topic here it is

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=200446
serenitytrek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2013, 04:56 PM   #4
The Stig
Rear Admiral

serenitytrek1 wrote: View Post

uhura was only used in all the marketing and promotions because she is a girl.

scotty had more screen time than both McCoy and uhura.

yeah .....this topic has been discussed to death...I even started a thread on this topic here it is

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=200446
The movie clearly focused on Kirk and Spock, as it should. The rest of the crew got a pretty decent spread of screen time and 'hero' moments. Far better than any of the old films, that's for sure.

Hell, Uhura is the one who got Khan, after all. Without her help, Spock would have failed miserably.

All we know is, he's called The Stig.
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 10:21 AM   #5
teacake
Admiral

Spock would be DEAD!

Uhura saved him.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old July 12 2013, 01:07 PM   #6
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

No.

It's pretty obvious that the new series is Kirk/Spock/Uhura. Maybe Carol Marcus will move up in importance next time.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 02:19 PM   #7
teacake
Admiral

I like Marcus a LOT. Sentiment should make me want Uhura in the big 3 but I wouldn't mind too much if she got bumped for Marcus.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old July 12 2013, 08:50 PM   #8
DarKush
Rear Admiral

Zoe Saldana is the arguably biggest star among the cast so it's highly doubtful that she's going to get bumped by Alice Eve. Plus her romantic relationship with Spock has played an important part of both movies thus far and I can see them continuing in that vein for the third film at least.

Marcus was a redundant character even in STID, as pointed out by Spock. I liked Eve's performance, though I think she was largely wasted after Khan injured her, and I do hope they develop her relationship with Kirk in the third film, but I don't see that supplanting Spock-Uhura. Plus it would put a damper on the Kirk-as-horndog shtick that the new films are really playing up.

I think Uhura is the third spoke in the wheel, though I sort of agree with the idea that with Into Darkness, Scotty was the third most important character. With Uhura her importance was tied far too much, IMO, to her romantic relationship with Spock. She did help out on the Klingon planet and she did help apprehend Khan, which are all good things. But Scotty's disagreement with Kirk really helped frame the intellectual discussion that drove the film. I do think Zoe's Uhura is far more developed than Nichelle Nichols' but I do wish they would also imbue her with more intellectual/philosophical feistiness (sp).

While Uhura has likely replaced Bones they haven't allowed her character to be a pole of debate, discussion, or dissent like DeForest Kelly's Bones was. The films have her being either too lovey dovey, frustrated, or mad with Spock instead. She helps with the emotional aspects of the film and with the newer Trek films pushing bigger emotions, bigger everything it seems, I can see how that might have helped her character rise to prominence. It goes beyond mere marketing, though it certainly helps that a black Latina female is the third face on the posters and DVD/Blu-Ray covers and other promotional materials. It definitely sets it apart from previous Treks and has wider demographic appeal.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 09:12 PM   #9
foxhot
Fleet Captain

Though Scott is absent from specific chunks of both films, I'd put him on roughly equal importance with Uhura. They both match or exceed McCoy's contributions. Most of us probably expected McCoy to have equal footing with Kirk and Spock in the 2009 movie, though even he hadn't reached parity in the first season of TOS either. (He didn't even appear in ERRAND OF MERCY. He also has a vanishing act in DOOMSDAY MACHINE's second half.

Having all the major players in alphabetical order on the posters and the initial end credits helps boost the ensemble premise of the Abrams films. Plus, in STID, with the possible exception of Sulu, every one of the seven saves one or more of the others at certain moments in the story....
Old July 12 2013, 09:46 PM   #10
Kinokima
Lieutenant Commander

DarKush wrote: View Post
While Uhura has likely replaced Bones they haven't allowed her character to be a pole of debate, discussion, or dissent like DeForest Kelly's Bones was. The films have her being either too lovey dovey, frustrated, or mad with Spock instead.
Like I said in another thread Bones "emotional" presence of the original has been replaced by Uhura's love for Spock and any debates McCoy might of had with Spock has been replaced with Kirk debating & arguing with Spock instead.

It's not necessarily a bad change per say except my own bias speaking, I love Bones and what he brought to the original show so I do miss that in the movie (not to mention it seems a waste of Karl Urban who is so excellent in the role).

Foxhot wrote:
Most of us probably expected McCoy to have equal footing with Kirk and Spock in the 2009 movie, though even he hadn't reached parity in the first season of TOS either. (He didn't even appear in ERRAND OF MERCY. He also has a vanishing act in DOOMSDAY MACHINE's second half.
McCoy's role grew in importance as the show went on. He only joined the main credits in the 2nd season.

Although despite being missing from Errand of Mercy, even in the first season McCoy felt like an important character. Obviously I am not really sure how they decided that McCoy would be part of the main team but it seems like a natural progression not that his role suddenly got so much bigger. It just felt like they put in writing what was already there from the start.

Last edited by Kinokima; July 12 2013 at 10:07 PM.
Kinokima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 10:00 PM   #11
serenitytrek1
Commander

I would have loved to see this trek on TV with Chris , Zachary and the rest of the cast.

Seeing all of them every week on my TV would have been great. More importantly there will be no debate on who is the 3rd most important character.

However I do think in STiD, Scotty was the third most important guy.

I also hate how Uhura is defined by her romantic relationship with Spock.
serenitytrek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2013, 12:18 AM   #12
teacake
Admiral

She should definitely dump him, stand on her own for the next one. Then they could define Alice Eve by her relationship with Kirk so all bases are covered.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old July 13 2013, 11:22 AM   #13
Malaika
Lieutenant Commander

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post

No.

It's pretty obvious that the new series is Kirk/Spock/Uhura. Maybe Carol Marcus will move up in importance next time.
still, the assertion that Scotty has become more an active and prominent character than McCoy is correct.
(and yet no one claims that he's replacing MCcoy.. and yet he did! even the covers of the last comics reflect that)
Old July 13 2013, 06:38 PM   #14
LobsterAfternoon
Commander

I dig the portrayals that all the actors did, but this topic does make me kinda wish that they hadn't assembled the entire crew in the first film. It's tough to find enough screen time for all these guys, and I think I'd rather have saved someone like Chekov or Sulu for a later film or cameo or something.
LobsterAfternoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2013, 06:59 PM   #15
YellowSubmarine
Rear Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
Oh god I thought this was going to be something else entirely.
No, that happened too, but without Uhura.