Yelchin In New Indie Thriller
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old July 11 2013, 05:17 AM   #1
Red_Panda
Ensign

Vorik the Ponfarr Vulcan

I somehow feel unsatisfied with the unhappy ending for this guy. Although he acted weird, it was due to a hormonal imbalance. I feel that after B'Elana beat him up, someone should have helped him. Also, how old was he? I was under the impression (that because Vulcans live a long time) that they reach Pon Farr in their 60-70s? Poor Vorik looks to be in his 20s.
Red_Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2013, 05:51 AM   #2
Sadara
Lieutenant Commander

View Sadara's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to Sadara
Re: Vorik the Ponfarr Vulcan

Personally I happen to like Vorik, but I fear you'll find little love for him in this forum. He gets picked on unmercifully around these parts.

I agree though; no one seemed to give a fuck about him other than the doctor and maybe Tuvok. Vorik is kind of treated like a villain even though his actions were beyond his control. I think he deserved a little more compassion than what he got.

I could give two shits about B'elanna and Tom honestly. Fuck or don't but they need to make up their minds.
Sadara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2013, 06:37 AM   #3
teacock
Admiral

When T'Pol was sweating and clawing her way through the corridors in her hormonal imbalance she was all, "fuck me, you know you want to, FUCK ME NOW!!"

Whereas with Vorik we get,

VORIK: I have come to greatly admire not only your impressive technical skills, but also your bravery and sense of moral duty, all excellent qualities in a prospective mate.
VORIK: B'Elanna! You may wish to reconsider. Your choices for a mate are currently limited to seventy three male crew members on this ship, some of whom are already unavailable.
VORIK: I should also remind you that many humanoid species are unable to withstand Klingon mating practices whereas my superior Vulcan strength would make me a very suitable partner.

It's like the Star Trek version of Hot or Not in living colour.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2013, 06:41 AM   #4
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Vorik was a typical background character for the most part. His one "shining" moment was in Blood Fever... which was an episode so stupid, it made everyone who was in it look bad by association. So naturally Vorik gets the "redshirt" effect and most of the blame for that, and not the main cast.
Old July 11 2013, 06:44 AM   #5
teacock
Admiral

I think it's my least favorite VOY ep.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old July 11 2013, 12:03 PM   #6
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Poor Vorik was just such a nonentity. It's hard for me to muster anything but apathy for him, even though his situation sucked.

Maybe I'm being insensitive, but when Tom and B'Elanna were in the "fuck or die" situation, they really should have just done it. All the "I want you, but not like this!" crap is rather stupid when someones life is at stake*. Instead Tom acted like a nervous teenager.

*not to say the "fuck or die" situ isn't incredibly stupid to begin with, cos it is. But hey, grown people are flying through space wearing pyjamas. When in Rome...
Old July 11 2013, 12:31 PM   #7
teacock
Admiral

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
nervous teenager.
That was chivalry KingDaniel.

And that is why chivalry is dead.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old July 11 2013, 01:05 PM   #8
teacock
Admiral

I can't help it, I haven't been able to get the tile of this thread out of my head..

This is how the poor dear would have wanted it to turn out.

Vorik the Pon farr Vulcan
Has a very shiny "nose"
And if you ever saw it..
You would even say it glows

All of the other crewmates
Used to laugh and call him names
B'Elanna never let poor Vorik
Join in any bedtime games

Then one special Blood Fever eve
Klingon Pon farr came to stay..
"Vorik with your "nose" so bright
Won't you glide your "sleigh" tonight?"

Then how B'Elanna loved him
As she shouted out with glee
Vorik the Pon Farr Vulcan
You'll go down.. well you get the picture

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old July 11 2013, 05:04 PM   #9
Sadara
Lieutenant Commander

T'Pol's method worked no better than Vorik's. Phlox ran like a cheap pair of pantyhose. Well at least as much as he could given they were quarantined.
Old July 11 2013, 05:24 PM   #10
Zippo and Flask
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have always liked Vorik, particularly in his conversation with Neelix in the episode "Fair Trade".

[Engineering]
NEELIX: Good evening, Ensign.
VORIK: Mister Neelix.
NEELIX: I thought I'd log a little time in the Jefferies tubes, if that's all right.
VORIK: I was unaware you were officially on an engineering work detail.
NEELIX: Oh, it's not official, not at all, but Lieutenant Torres has been good enough to allow me to poke around here and there. As time permits of course.
VORIK: She has mentioned your desire to become familiar with Starfleet engineering protocols. I see no reason why you can't proceed.
NEELIX: Thank you. Ensign Vorik?
VORIK: Yes, Mister Neelix?
NEELIX: You're quite young. Is it difficult for you being so far away from everything that's familiar?
VORIK: Had I been given the choice, I might not have chosen to explore the Delta Quadrant. However, since we are here, I must say the challenges are intriguing.
NEELIX: Voyager is a wonderful place to be. People here are very fortunate.
VORIK: I would concur.
He seemed quite patient and empathetic with Neelix, characteristics which many Vulcans tend not to have. Perhaps it's his lack of terseness which is the source of a lot of the criticism of Vorik (I'm ignorant of what the criticisms may be).
Zippo and Flask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2013, 05:46 PM   #11
Sadara
Lieutenant Commander

The criticisms appear to be many and varied (not that I agree with them). They seem to range from he tried to rape Torres in Blood Fever right down to he sucks simply because the actor who played him is the son of Jeri Taylor and everything in between.

I didn't realize a minor character could generate so much vitriol. I'm surprised he doesn't get more hate mail than Andy Robinson does for Dirty Harry. Geez...
Old July 11 2013, 07:07 PM   #12
Pthalo BlueMoon
Commodore

Zippo and Flask wrote: View Post
I have always liked Vorik, particularly in his conversation with Neelix in the episode "Fair Trade".

[Engineering]
NEELIX: Good evening, Ensign.
VORIK: Mister Neelix.
NEELIX: I thought I'd log a little time in the Jefferies tubes, if that's all right.
VORIK: I was unaware you were officially on an engineering work detail.
NEELIX: Oh, it's not official, not at all, but Lieutenant Torres has been good enough to allow me to poke around here and there. As time permits of course.
VORIK: She has mentioned your desire to become familiar with Starfleet engineering protocols. I see no reason why you can't proceed.
NEELIX: Thank you. Ensign Vorik?
VORIK: Yes, Mister Neelix?
NEELIX: You're quite young. Is it difficult for you being so far away from everything that's familiar?
VORIK: Had I been given the choice, I might not have chosen to explore the Delta Quadrant. However, since we are here, I must say the challenges are intriguing.
NEELIX: Voyager is a wonderful place to be. People here are very fortunate.
VORIK: I would concur.
He seemed quite patient and empathetic with Neelix, characteristics which many Vulcans tend not to have. Perhaps it's his lack of terseness which is the source of a lot of the criticism of Vorik (I'm ignorant of what the criticisms may be).
Hmm. That very well could be, actually.

We are used to seeing Vulcans as distant and stand offish. When presented with a more compassionate, or "human" alternative, we can get thrown off and confused.

Vorik is an interesting character, worthy of more in depth study, I would think.

Last edited by Pthalo BlueMoon; July 11 2013 at 08:28 PM.
Pthalo BlueMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 10:05 PM   #13
F. King Daniel
Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
nervous teenager.
That was chivalry KingDaniel.

And that is why chivalry is dead.
Would you rather chivarly be dead, or B'Elanna?
Old July 13 2013, 03:30 AM   #14
Red_Panda
Ensign

I think (from what I've read on this forum) is that one's opinion of Vorik is shaped by viewing he handled the situation with respect to (1) he personal needs or (2) how the result appeared to others.

Without the context of Vulcan pon farr and what that really entails, it's true that Vorik looked like he wanted to rape B'Elanna for rejecting his seemingly random proposal. That is going to cause friction with anyone.

However, Vorik's situation was a hormonal imbalance. He was not aware/completely in control of his actions. Obviously he respected and was attracted to B'Elanna (though I personally wished he would've chosen otherwise) and did not even know he melded/put her life in danger until Tuvok came in. Also, among Vulcans, he wasn't acting like a crazy raper-villain. He: (1) carefully chose who he cared about legitimately, (2)got to know her via work and the luau (made reservations for table for 2 mind you), (3) asked for her hand in marriage instead of a casual hook-up. On Vulcan, marriages are somewhat calculated based on compatibility. There isn't really a heavy courting period at all before a marriage (as it is assumed to occur later). The point I'm trying to make here is that with a compromised mindset he acted as honorable towards a delicate situation as he knew how. Just because that grates against human customs doesn't make him a bad guy.

I think accusing Vorik of being a villain is anthropomorphizing an him in an improper way.
Red_Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2013, 03:33 AM   #15
teacock
Admiral

So you're saying Vorik is an animal?

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne