Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old July 10 2013, 07:06 AM   #421
Donny
Commander

Re: TOS Enterprise Interiors -- Unreal 3 Engine

Decided to sculpt the insignia patches in 3D rather than just use a texture. So much for the intense details waiting....

http://rigel7studios.blogspot.com/

Donny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 08:04 AM   #422
Albertese
Commodore

Outstanding! My first impression of the uniforms, is that they look pretty damn good from here. And your badge/patch insignia is gorgeous... I love the slightly drifting embroidery. Such details really sell this thing.

Top notch work!

--Alex
Old July 10 2013, 09:22 AM   #423
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Fracking impressive! At some other threads there had been the discussion whether TAS should be redone in CGI (but - of course - keep the original voices of the original cast), and Donny illustrates the potential for such a thing, too.

Seeing the insignia that close I couldn't help to wonder what these might symbolize.
  • The star is apparently a star whose top extension could symbolize warp speed or to expand beyond the known
  • The Science Division seems to display what could be a 2D suggestion of a sphere
  • The Engineering / Services Division features an odd pentagon that allows moving inside and out of the center. Looks like it conveys a sense of protection in the center, either for a starship operating in the icy cold vacuum of space or as a shield against attacks (security personnel)
Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 10:31 AM   #424
Donny
Commander

Last shot before bed (I've been working on this all day! So much fun, but so time consuming)

I corrected the color of the tunic and added the Enterprise command patch and captain rank stripes. All other rank stripes have been sculpted, these are just the first ones I've gotten in place.

Old July 10 2013, 01:16 PM   #425
marksound
Fleet Captain

Beautiful.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 04:23 PM   #426
Redfern
Commodore

Merciful Mogg, Donny! Is there any 3D skill you can't achieve?! As you pointed out, these "bodies" have "average" builds that I really like, plus the tunics and pants have these casual "wrinkles" that sell their realism. I'm just gob smacked!

Speaking of the symbolism of the insignia, as a kid, I perceived the science symbol as a basketball. Yeah, silly, I know. But possibly even more amusing, now that Trek is owned in part by CBS, just put a circle within the inner "oval" of that design and, well...

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 04:45 PM   #427
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Redfern wrote: View Post
Speaking of the symbolism of the insignia, as a kid, I perceived the science symbol as a basketball. Yeah, silly, I know. But possibly even more amusing, now that Trek is owned in part by CBS, just put a circle within the inner "oval" of that design and, well...

OH MY GOODNESS!!! You are right! Even the acronym makes sense: Command, Broad Services and Science.

Bob
Old July 10 2013, 04:55 PM   #428
Redfern
Commodore

You know, if society as we understand it does not collapse, and assuming Trek is remembered in a hundred years, the CBS ownership is going to cause some confusion with future fans. Let's face it, as time goes on, certain facts may be "generally" forgotten aznd others incorrectly remembered. "What do you mean, CBS rejected the show? They own(ed) it!"

You gotta' admit, there's a certain irony.

Sincerely,

Bill

Old July 10 2013, 08:27 PM   #429
Donny
Commander

Finished up the rank striping. From left to right, we have Admiral, Commodore, Captain, Commander, Lieutenant Commander, Lieutenant, Lieutenant Junior Grade, and Ensign.

Admiral is, of course, conjectural, since we never see an Admiral's ranks stripes in TOS. To my knowledge, Lieutenant Junior Grade was only featured in "The Naked Time" and was the supposed rank of Joe Tormolen.

Correction: According to this article at Memory Alpha, Admiral Fitzpatrick's rank insignia was, in fact, visible. Although I couldn't find evidence of this in "The Trouble With Tribbles", there is the "You're in Good Hand with Tribbles" outtake which shows Fitzpatrick has the same rank stripes as a Commodore. For my purposes, I'll leave that middle stripe on the Admiral to differentiate between the two.

The outtake I'm referring to can be seen below 0:28 seconds in...

[EDIT] Check out the corrected Admiral's stripes below!

Last edited by Donny; July 10 2013 at 10:51 PM.
Old July 10 2013, 10:20 PM   #430
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Donny wrote: View Post
According to this article at Memory Alpha, Admiral Fitzpatrick's rank insignia was, in fact, visible. Although I couldn't find evidence of this in "The Trouble With Tribbles", there is the "You're in Good Hand with Tribbles" outtake which shows Fitzpatrick has the same rank stripes as a Commodore. For my purposes, I'll leave that middle stripe on the Admiral to differentiate between the two.
Memory Alpha is correct. The blooper reel video you linked shows a severe degradation of the original film as I and many others had seen it. The quality has degraded to a point where you can no longer see the extra rank stripe above and below the Commodore stripe. Talk about "erasing" history, here you have a perfect example.

I have therefore immediately scanned my photo print from the original (Enterprise viewscreen uncropped) footage which reveals in HD the table, its push buttons and - of course - the correct Admiral rank stripes of Fitzpatrick (you'll find it in your subspace log of transmissions ).

Please consider it accordingly or I will be compelled to call you henceforth "Franz"...and I really don't want to do that.

Bob

@ Redfern

"What do you mean CBS rejected the show? They owned it"

Old July 10 2013, 10:27 PM   #431
Donny
Commander

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
Donny wrote: View Post
According to this article at Memory Alpha, Admiral Fitzpatrick's rank insignia was, in fact, visible. Although I couldn't find evidence of this in "The Trouble With Tribbles", there is the "You're in Good Hand with Tribbles" outtake which shows Fitzpatrick has the same rank stripes as a Commodore. For my purposes, I'll leave that middle stripe on the Admiral to differentiate between the two.
Memory Alpha is correct. The blooper reel video you linked shows a severe degradation of the original film as I and many others had seen it. The quality has degraded to a point where you can no longer see the extra rank stripe above and below the Commodore stripe. Talk about "erasing" history, here you have a perfect example.

I have therefore immediately scanned my photo print from the original (Enterprise viewscreen uncropped) footage which reveals in HD the table, its push buttons and - of course - the correct Admiral rank stripes of Fitzpatrick (you'll find it in your subspace log of transmissions ).

Please consider it accordingly or I will be compelled to call you henceforth "Franz"...and I really don't want to do that.

Bob
Thanks you. I got the image, and am amazed! I never could have seen those extra rank stripes above and below the standard commodore rank stripes. I shall update the admiral rank stripes accordingly.

Please, don't call me Franz....

Old July 10 2013, 10:42 PM   #432
Donny
Commander

Here's the updated Admiral rank stripes (with a human hand I just finished modelling). Thanks, Robert Comsol!

Here's the reference shot Bob sent me:

Old July 10 2013, 11:32 PM   #433
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

I was always under the impression that the big reflective chrome bar between the two inner stripes for Commodore and Admiral was silver colored, not gold.
Old July 11 2013, 01:00 AM   #434
Redfern
Commodore

Oh, dear g*d! Donny's already modeling believably proportionate human hands!

Next thing you know, he'll capture those subtle Shatner features that elude so many artists!

Sincerely,

Bill

Old July 11 2013, 01:05 AM   #435
marksound
Fleet Captain

Shatner 's face is one that is hard to capture. Not sure why.

Looking forward to seeing Donny's take.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote