RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,703
Members: 24,207
Currently online: 814
Newest member: MaileDetty

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old July 10 2013, 05:34 PM   #76
teya
Vice Admiral

Re: Mulgrew so awful to Jeri Ryan she had to date Braga for protection

Captain Kathryn wrote: View Post
Also I am not a Republican, so we differ in that respect too. :P
And you assume Jeri's a conservative Republican... why?
Old July 10 2013, 06:05 PM   #77
Captain Kathryn
Fleet Captain

Location: In Star Trek / Doctor Who fantasy land aka New Jersey
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Kathryn

teya wrote: View Post
And you assume Jeri's a conservative Republican... why?
I don't know if she is a "conservative Republican" per se nor do I care that much about it.

I added that on just as a kind of joke because it's known to a lot of fans that Kate Mulgrew has stated numerous times that she is a Democrat (and I think she married one? I think her husband is a Democrat.). Jeri Ryan married the Republican and has stated she is Republican, I believe.

Anywho, I love them both and think they were both fantastic on the show. I don't care about their political affiliations! I just mentioned it since it's just another thing added on that could have brought tension between them. Kate marries a Democrat who was in office. Jeri marries a Republican who was also in office.

The only thing I meant earlier was that I relate more to Kate Mulgrew than Jeri Ryan. Although I agree with Teacake that it's unfair to these people for us to judge them when we do not know them personally. That was my bad. Obviously I do not know any of them on a personal level, even though I do hope I get to meet them at a con one day. However, I have to say that if I had the choice to spend a day with either one of them, I would choose Kate.

I don't care about their politics...but I did mean what I said about how of course there would be animosity between them because of a) Jennifer Lien getting canned (though I agree with others that Seven was much more entertaining and engaging than Kes!) and b) Mulgrew most likely felt upstaged or felt threatened by someone who the producers suddenly brought in and kept referring to as the "hot one who would boost ratings". Of course there would be tension. That's a given. Though I hope it wasn't as bad as rumors say it was. I would like to think it's somewhat behind them now.
Old July 10 2013, 06:58 PM   #78
Ain Jalut
Lieutenant

Sorry, i misremebered something.
Ain Jalut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 07:02 PM   #79
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

Nope because he never said it.
Old July 10 2013, 11:08 PM   #80
JanewayRulz!
Rear Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
Kes is not hot, was never hot, could never be hot. She went from being like some Happy Days girl in a poodle skirt to looking like a jaded PTA mom and there was no hotness in between. And yes I believe there are hot versions of both the poodle skirt and the PTA mom but Kes was not one of them. Ever.

Every single person on that ship including Neelix was hotter than Kes.

Uhhh, she's not exactly my type, but I gotta say that Kes in Warlord was hotter than Neelix on his best day.

Dream wrote: View Post
Also thought racial issues for some reason would still be important in the future, so we got the bizarre "Far Beyond the Stars" and holodeck episode where Sisko complains about how blacks were treated in the past..
Maybe they're "not" important issues in the future, but they are important to us today. I can imagine that even in the 24th century, a thoughtful man or woman could look back and wonder about the struggles their race or sex endured to get them where they are "in the future".

That's what Alex Haley did many years ago and Le Var Burton got his first acting job because of it.

Just because her EX husband was a Republican, doesn't mean that Jeri is one. Back in 20th century America it was possible to marry outside one's political party.

Even if she is of a different political party from Kate, that is certainly no reason to be treated with disrespect either on the set, or off.

Speaking of respect, I was very pleased a few years ago when at one (Canadian?) con on youtube, Kate basically did a mea culpa on her attitude towards Jeri on the Voyager set.

IIRC, Kate did explain her many reasons for disliking the perception raised by the switch from Kes to Seven, but she seemed to apologize for taking her frustrations out on an "innocent". It wasn't Jeri's fault Jen was jettisoned and TPTB decided to go in a new direction. Jeri just won the audition sweepstakes. (Don't know who else was in the running besides Jeri and Hudson Leick who portrayed not only Callisto, but also the main character for one episode in Xena:WP)

Oh, and to end on a TNG note... Gates McFadden leaving was bogus and related to her interactions with (one?) staff member. Once he left, she was free to return, and as much as I liked Pulaski, I was glad to see Crusher back on the Enterprise. If it was Patrick Stewart and the TNG fans that made it happen, then all power to them!
Old July 11 2013, 12:28 AM   #81
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

I added that on just as a kind of joke because it's known to a lot of fans that Kate Mulgrew has stated numerous times that she is a Democrat (and I think she married one? I think her husband is a Democrat.).
Yes she married a democrat politician who is now her ex-husband. There is a new man now, I saw a photo of him.. but I've erased it from my memory.

Kate has been very openly pro democrat.

JanewayRulz! wrote: View Post
Kes is not hot, was never hot, could never be hot. She went from being like some Happy Days girl in a poodle skirt to looking like a jaded PTA mom and there was no hotness in between. And yes I believe there are hot versions of both the poodle skirt and the PTA mom but Kes was not one of them. Ever.

Every single person on that ship including Neelix was hotter than Kes.

Uhhh, she's not exactly my type, but I gotta say that Kes in Warlord was hotter than Neelix on his best day.
And I should have added, "except in Warlord where she was absolutely wonderfully hot and I wish they had just left her like that forever".

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2013, 02:08 AM   #82
JanewayRulz!
Rear Admiral

^^ Its hell to get old and have your memory start to fade, or are you blaming that on the offspring?

So, did you wipe that guy from your memory because he was hideous, or because he upset your J/7 fantasies?

Speaking of 7... how weird must it feel (as an actress) to be referred to as a number. 7 shares that distinction with the cylons on nuBSG and a character from the late 1960's or early 1970's Peanuts comic strip. I think her name was "5".

At least Jeri's character had a "last" name... "of Nine".

Or more formerly, "of Nine, Tertiary adjunct of Unimatrix 01".

(Did I get it right? I'm too lazy to look it up!)
Old July 11 2013, 02:27 AM   #83
Captain Kathryn
Fleet Captain

I added that on just as a kind of joke because it's known to a lot of fans that Kate Mulgrew has stated numerous times that she is a Democrat (and I think she married one? I think her husband is a Democrat.).
Yes she married a democrat politician who is now her ex-husband. There is a new man now, I saw a photo of him.. but I've erased it from my memory.

Kate has been very openly pro democrat.
Yeah I know she is very openly democrat and married one. I didn't know they got divorced though.
Old July 11 2013, 02:29 AM   #84
Captain Kathryn
Fleet Captain

JanewayRulz! wrote: View Post
^^ Its hell to get old and have your memory start to fade, or are you blaming that on the offspring?

So, did you wipe that guy from your memory because he was hideous, or because he upset your J/7 fantasies?

Speaking of 7... how weird must it feel (as an actress) to be referred to as a number. 7 shares that distinction with the cylons on nuBSG and a character from the late 1960's or early 1970's Peanuts comic strip. I think her name was "5".

At least Jeri's character had a "last" name... "of Nine".

Or more formerly, "of Nine, Tertiary adjunct of Unimatrix 01".

(Did I get it right? I'm too lazy to look it up!)
Seven of Nine, Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01 is right~
To be fair, she also had the name Annika Hansen.

And yeah I think Teacake wiped it to make room for J/7 fantasies. :P
Old July 11 2013, 03:02 AM   #85
teacake
Admiral

I can't answer why I wiped it because once I did answer why I was going to wipe it and then was immediately overcome with remorse for my awfulness and wiped the post. Let's just say it was a deliberate wipe.

Also this was at least a year ago.. I don't keep up with KM's personal life at all so who knows, maybe she isn't even with this person now.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old July 11 2013, 03:04 AM   #86
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post
Haven't watched Voyager in a long time, that outfit is so ludicrous.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2013, 03:08 AM   #87
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post
Haven't watched Voyager in a long time, that outfit is so ludicrous.
Yeah, it is. Starfleet uniforms make me think of a pitstop crew.
Old July 11 2013, 03:30 AM   #88
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

^^ I knew that was coming if I didn't specify which outfit
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2013, 03:42 AM   #89
Melakon
Rear Admiral

I don't keep up with KM's personal life at all so who knows, maybe she isn't even with this person now.
Is this regarding Tim Hagan? I just checked IMDB and Wikipedia on Kate and there's no mention of a divorce from him. Hagan's Wiki article also sounds like they're still together.
Old July 11 2013, 04:00 AM   #90
teacake
Admiral

I'm only going on what came up a couple years back regarding separation, new man, no wedding ring blah blah.. maybe they never officially divorced or maybe it was a marriage glitch.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne