RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,657
Members: 24,813
Currently online: 550
Newest member: SB118_Pavlova

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 9 2013, 10:09 PM   #31
Titus Andronicus
Fleet Captain

Re: Why The Hate For Superman Returns?

I thoroughly enjoyed Man of Steel, but I also liked Superman Returns when it first came out. Reading this thread I need to rewatch it.....I may do that tonight! LOL.
Old July 9 2013, 10:51 PM   #32
davejames
Vice Admiral

I can totally understand why the movie wasn't a hit with audiences or comic book fans, but personally I was completely in tune with what Singer was trying to do with that movie, and thought it did a fantastic job paying tribute to the Donner movies while still having it's own unique, art deco-infused style.

I admit it's somber tone and lack of action can make it somewhat difficult to sit through again and again like other superhero movies, but I still love the heck out of it.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2013, 10:54 PM   #33
Yminale
Rear Admiral

I liked Superman Returns but it was horribly flawed. First they had the perfect Loise Lane on set, Parker Posey. The poor woman's talent was wasted. Second Lex Luthor is not a con man. Third Superman IS NOT JESUS. I'm sick of this analogy and it ruins Superman. Finally I really didn't like how Supes abandoned his kid. That seems more wrong than his creepy spying (and Golden Age Superman was pretty creepy).
Old July 9 2013, 11:48 PM   #34
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Yminale wrote: View Post
I liked Superman Returns but it was horribly flawed. First they had the perfect Loise Lane on set, Parker Posey. The poor woman's talent was wasted.
Hmm. You know, that's a point I hadn't considered before.

Interesting. Of course, ANYBODY would have been better than Bostworth.
RandyS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 02:08 AM   #35
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

I don't hate Superman Returns - I just think it was a thoroughly pedestrian film. At the time I called it, "Supermannequin." That may not be as clever as I once thought it was, but I still think the connotation is apt.
Old July 10 2013, 02:17 AM   #36
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

I found the film to be extremely boring and remember very little of it other than being bored and wondering why anyone would make a Superman movie like this.
Old July 10 2013, 03:18 AM   #37
Mr Light
Admiral

He doesn't punch anybody. There's no super villain to fight. He's a stalker. He has a illegitimate kid he didn't even know about.

Man of Steel gets my vote for having none of these things!

Mr Light is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 04:45 AM   #38
Trek4Ever
Fleet Captain

I don't understand why people keep calling him a deadbeat dad. To me a deadbeat dad is someone who knowingly fathers a child and walks away from him or her. Superman clearly didn't know that he knocked up Lois before he left. And she made it pretty clear that she chose Richard over him and there didn't seem to be any room for Superman in her life unless of course she needed saving!
Trek4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 05:09 AM   #39
Aragorn
Admiral

I liked Superman Returns for what it was, but if you take away the Donner nostalgia, all you have left that's of any note is the airplane sequence.

Was kind of funny how James Marsden got to be more heroic in one Superman movie than three X-Men movies.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 07:32 AM   #40
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Parker Posey really would have made an excellent Lois now that I think about it.

I don't understand why people keep calling him a deadbeat dad. To me a deadbeat dad is someone who knowingly fathers a child and walks away from him or her. Superman clearly didn't know that he knocked up Lois before he left.
He wasn't a deadbeat dad. Not deliberately. He didn't know. I think some of the distaste for the storyline, though, came from the aforementioned view that Bosworth looked soooooo young and she had a 5 year old. It just seemed.....icky. Too young for the part and she really didn't have that Lois spark even if the director had let her shed some of the restraint. Lois Lane is brash. Sometimes inappropriate. That's why Supes liked her.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 03:53 PM   #41
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Heh, I popped in the movie, maybe about 6 months ago, because I didn't even really remember it (I did remember that I mostly enjoyed it aside from Bosworth as Lois) and I too had the thought it was a shame that Parker Posey wasn't given the role of Lois.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 05:04 PM   #42
TayLaLaLa
Commodore

I agree that Parker Posey would have been an excellent Lois and I too think the film was boring but I don't hate it.
TayLaLaLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 05:32 PM   #43
EmoBorg
Captain

I actually liked Brandon Routh take as Superman. I think he played it well. I don't know why folks have a problem with his acting in Superman Returns.

Superman is not really a conflicted character like Batman. Yes, both of them lost their parents when they were young but Superman lost his parents at a much younger age and as a result he hardly knew his birth parents. His humans step parents always did a good job of raising him well whether in the comics, television series and movies. He did not see his birth parents die like the way Batman did and thus he did not become disturbed like the Caped Crusader.

The way Brandon Routh and Christopher Reeve played Superman was just suitable for the role.

Kevin Spacey was the perfect successor to Gene Hackman as Lex Luthor.

But seeing Kal Penn as an villainous henchman was strange.

Kate Bosworth wasn't good as Lois Lane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIRfc3ybbPg

Last edited by EmoBorg; July 11 2013 at 05:24 AM.
EmoBorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 07:03 PM   #44
Christopher
Writer

EmoBorg wrote: View Post
I actually liked Brandon Routh take as Superman. I think he played it well. I don't know why folks have a problem with his acting in Superman Returns.
It's not so much his acting, although I don't remember enough about his performance to have much of an opinion on it, which may be telling in itself. For me, he just doesn't look remotely like Superman. Some people seem to think he bears a striking resemblance to Reeve, but to me they look nothing alike. Routh just doesn't have a face or a voice that fits my image of Superman. I could see him as Sherlock Holmes, or maybe Spock (aside from the voice), but I was never able to see him as a credible Superman.

I had a similar problem with Dean Cain. He worked as the version of Clark Kent they were going for on that show, but he didn't work as well as Superman. Partly because his face and voice were both a little too distinctive, so it was blindingly obvious that Clark and Superman were the same guy, even more so than usual.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 08:00 PM   #45
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral

Donald Draper wrote: View Post
I loved it too. I agree though that Kate Bosworth was very miscast. They should have used someone similar to Margot Kidder. I recently read the suggestion that that Zooey Deschanel would have been better suited.
I believe I was the first one that suggested this, but I may be wrong. I don't remember anyone suggesting it prior to me.

Anyway, I thought Zooey Deschanel would have been excellent casting for SR, since they were looking to recreate the style of the Donner movies. They got a guy who looks like Chris Reeves, then they should have got a girl that looks like Margot Kidder.

As a bonus, Zooey looks similar, but hotter.

Anyway, coulda, shoulda, woulda. My main gripes with SR were:

1. Wayyyyyyy too much pining over Lois. I felt like I spend 2hr+ watching Superman pout that he doesn't have Lois Lane anymore.

2. He gets brutally beaten by a bunch of low pay thugs, and there is no payback. What little "payback" there is, is completely unsatisfying.

3. He lifts a rock the size of a continent out of earth's atmosphere all by himself, *with* chunks of Kryptonite all around it. What were the writers thinking?

4. Super weezy whiny runt.