TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 10 2013, 03:29 PM   #121
Pingfah
Admiral

Re: Orson Scott Card "Please don't boycott my film!"

Personally I would like to say that all his books should be banned, the film should be destroyed, and he should be legally prevented from ever publishing again. Because that is the only way half the bullshit strawman arguments in this thread will ever be valid or relevant.
Old July 10 2013, 03:30 PM   #122
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

YJAGG wrote:
never read it ( I know shame on me) did read the sumary and to me honest - 20 plus years later - meh

unless it's a crappy movie and they want all the hardcore right wingers to come and support it, by alienating gays... but I do marvel at the irony of intolerance for the intolerent
Wow, what a thoughtful contribution to the discussion.

Sindatur wrote: View Post
So, yes, he has the right to speak, but, not the right to be heard by those offended by what he says.
I agree. I'm a fan of his and even I don't particularly care to hear his views on where men can or can't stick their willies, nor do I understand why he devotes such time to a cause. If he at least wrote his intolerance as a well-written allegorical sci-fi story, I'd be more likely see pay attention.

Pingfah wrote: View Post
Personally I would like to say that all his books should be banned, the film should be destroyed, and he should be legally prevented from ever publishing again. Because that is the only way half the bullshit strawman arguments in this thread will ever be valid or relevant.
Alright.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 03:36 PM   #123
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
If I wanted to boycott everything I watch or read written by someone I disagreed with politically I'd have to give up everything but the bible and the Left Behind series.

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
(Let's face it, sci-fi and fantasy writing is dominated by leftists.)
Horrendous generalities, but here it is: Sci-fi, being principally interested in understanding the present to speculate about the future, is intrinsically progressive (even tho there is a strong libertarian bend in many contemporary sci-fi works). Fantasy, on the other hand, being about an imaginary past with a strong emphasis on traditional values, is habitually conservative.
Old July 10 2013, 03:39 PM   #124
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Well, whatever you think of the man, he was likely pressured by the studio to say something to try to mitigate the damage his views could do to the film.
Old July 10 2013, 03:41 PM   #125
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
Horrendous generalities, but here it is: Sci-fi, being principally interested in understanding the present to speculate about the future, is intrinsically progressive (even tho there is a strong libertarian bend in many contemporary sci-fi works). Fantasy, on the other hand, being about an imaginary past with a strong emphasis on traditional values, is habitually conservative.
To further generalise, the fantasy genre is less political in nature than science-fiction. Tolkien wasn't trying to make any social commentary or critique when he wrote The Lord of the Rings, whereas Frank Herbert certainly was when he made the closest thing to a sci-fi equivalent, Dune.
Old July 10 2013, 03:47 PM   #126
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

DalekJim wrote: View Post
iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
To further generalise, the fantasy genre is less political in nature than science-fiction. Tolkien wasn't trying to make any social commentary or critique when he wrote The Lord of the Rings, whereas Frank Herbert certainly was when he made the closest thing to a sci-fi equivalent, Dune.
Sure, but how about if you swap out Tolkein with Narnia? We can cherry pick authors to make it sway whichever way we want.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 03:51 PM   #127
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Sure, but how about if you swap out Tolkein with Narnia? We can cherry pick authors to make it sway whichever way we want.
I'm a huge admirer of both Tolkien and Lewis, neither were politically charged writers. Sci-fi literature is frequently about the human condition or social critique in a way the fantasy genre isn't usually. It's one of the things I find preferable about fantasy, it works better as escapism. It's harder to escape in to a book if you find it makes you think about what's going in in your own country.
Old July 10 2013, 03:54 PM   #128
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

I'm a huge admirer of both Tolkien and Lewis, neither were politically charged writers. Sci-fi literature is frequently about the human condition or social critique in a way the fantasy genre isn't usually. It's one of the things I find preferable about fantasy, it works better as escapism. It's harder to escape in to a book if you find it makes you think about what's going in in your own country.
Narnia is totally pushing a Religious Agenda in a Political way?

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 03:58 PM   #129
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Broadly, in the same way Tolkien's work broadly pushes an anti-industrial agenda in a political way. It's far less overt than science-fiction though, and they work primarily as adventure escapism. Tolkien and Lewis were not allegorical writers, and sci-fi is a genre that works heavy with allegory.
Old July 10 2013, 04:10 PM   #130
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Not in a political way, but I found the religious subtext of the Narnia books rendered reading them more of a nuisance than a pleasure. Lewis was not exactly the theological deep thinker that his fans took him for.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 04:22 PM   #131
TemporalFlux
Commodore

The amount of absolute hatred for Orson Scott Card astonishes me. This is the response to hatred? Greater hatred? I have rarely seen such a vicious crusade against one man.
TemporalFlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 04:41 PM   #132
Wintertainment
Fleet Captain

TemporalFlux wrote: View Post
The amount of absolute hatred for Orson Scott Card astonishes me. This is the response to hatred? Greater hatred? I have rarely seen such a vicious crusade against one man.
The amount of absolute hatred from Orson Scott Card astonishes me. The response to his hatred? Not giving him any of my money. I have rarely seen such a vicious crusade by one man against a minority group.

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Wintertainment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 04:42 PM   #133
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Lewis [was] not [an] allegorical writer
The hell he wasn't. He unarguably wrote in allegorical terms (whatever he says himself: he apparently thought he was too good for allegory.)

Last edited by iguana_tonante; July 10 2013 at 04:58 PM.
iguana_tonante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 04:46 PM   #134
sonak
Vice Admiral

junxon wrote: View Post
side 1: i don't want to see this movie because i don't want to fund OSC's homophobia.

side 2: not going to see this film makes you 'intolerant of bigotry' and also somehow this is censorship

which side are you?

also, for this You Lose:

I think somebody should be allowed to openly bash gay folks
in other words ''i think somebody should be allowed to persecute a minority''

speech is not persecution. I am also extremely uncomfortable with laws against "hate speech." Well-intentioned as they may be, putting government in the role of censor is wrong. Also, "offense" is so subjective that they become hard to enforce.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 05:19 PM   #135
theenglish
Rear Admiral

sonak wrote: View Post

speech is not persecution. I am also extremely uncomfortable with laws against "hate speech." Well-intentioned as they may be, putting government in the role of censor is wrong. Also, "offense" is so subjective that they become hard to enforce.
I agree with this as well. There have been several controversial examples in Canada over the years of heavy handedness in applying the law. I apparently missed the point of several posts and was not clear what I was responding to.

Last edited by theenglish; July 10 2013 at 08:11 PM.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote