Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 10 2013, 02:10 PM   #16
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Re: League of Extraordinary Gentlemen gets pilot order at Fox

I hope it has a period setting, but I suspect it might be modernised to compete with Agents of SHIELD. I hope it isn't, as the Victorian setting gives a lot of its attraction.

I'd give this a chance on the basis that it can't be worse than the movie. And if it sucks, then there's a very similar project coming up, which will hopefully do the business:

http://tvline.com/2013/07/09/league-...men-fox-pilot/
Coincidentally, Showtime has a somewhat similar series in development, Penny Dreadful (from Sam Mendes and John Logan), that will follow characters such as Dorian Gray, Van Helsing and Frankenstein in Victorian London.
Old July 10 2013, 02:26 PM   #17
Dream
Admiral

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
http://tvline.com/2013/07/09/league-...men-fox-pilot/
Coincidentally, Showtime has a somewhat similar series in development, Penny Dreadful (from Sam Mendes and John Logan), that will follow characters such as Dorian Gray, Van Helsing and Frankenstein in Victorian London.
Wow, seems everyone TV network is getting on the superhero show bandwagon!
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 02:28 PM   #18
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^I'm surprised that it's taken this long, given how successful superhero movies have been for the last decade or so.
Old July 10 2013, 02:39 PM   #19
Dream
Admiral

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
^I'm surprised that it's taken this long, given how successful superhero movies have been for the last decade or so.
Well, we did get Smallville and Heroes in recent years. But the first show went on for way too long, and the second show died a fiery death in terms of quality after the first great season.

I'll be quite happy if we get a Daredevil show on television though.
Old July 10 2013, 02:44 PM   #20
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^Yeah, DD would seem well-suited to tv, ideally something like a HBO production. I'm sure Marvel must know that not all their characters are necessarily suited to the big screen but may well work as small-screen projects. I hope that AOS will be the first of many.
Old July 10 2013, 02:47 PM   #21
Relayer1
Commodore

DalekJim wrote: View Post
I'm sure Alan Moore will be delighted to hear this.
I would imagine he'll be choking on his beard about now...
Old July 10 2013, 02:50 PM   #22
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

I never read the graphic novel but I really liked the movie. I'm not sure how it'll work as a TV show though.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 02:52 PM   #23
Wereghost
Commodore

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
I liked the movie's version of Captain Nemo and the Nautilus.
Ditto. Nemo, the Nautilus, Jekyll and Hyde belonged in a somewhat better and smarter movie, IMO. LXG wasn't terrible, just a lukewarm product that erred by misrepresenting its source material.
Old July 10 2013, 02:57 PM   #24
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

TheSeeker wrote: View Post
I never read the graphic novel but I really liked the movie. I'm not sure how it'll work as a TV show though.
Strip it down to the base concept -- the public domain literary heroes of Victorian fiction, teaming up to fight crime. Then build it out from there. The show would probably be a lot like Doctor Who's "The Crimson Horror" or the Victorian flashbacks in Torchwood. The first season's meta arc could hit some of the major points in the first volume across its 13/22 episodes, with standalone episodes in between with the team having to fight Dr. Moreau or the Giant Rat of Sumatra or things like that.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 03:15 PM   #25
Dream
Admiral

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen the team really reminds me of the Avengers.

One of the reasons I think the Avengers movie worked is you blended 4 genres with 4 characters... Cyberpunk, Retro, Fantasy, and Universal Monster into one team.

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen is sort of the same way.
Old July 10 2013, 03:37 PM   #26
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

The movie is utter dogshit. Like, actual dogshit. I have no hope whatsoever for this one.

Why can't they just leave Moore's stuff alone?

Last edited by Shazam!; July 10 2013 at 03:55 PM.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 03:52 PM   #27
Forbin
Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
Every commercial network cancels plenty of shows, and it's bizarre that FOX has gotten a reputation of somehow being worse in that regard than everyone else.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oMTmtN7lHI
Space: Above & Beyond
Alien Nation
Strange Luck
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 04:52 PM   #28
Christopher
Writer

^I think the reason people get more upset about the shows FOX cancels than about the shows every other network cancels is because FOX has created or commissioned so many shows of the sort that attract loyal or cult followings. It's a fact of life that most shows of any category, on any network, get cancelled young. That's just the way television works. It's always a gamble and no show has any guarantee of survival. But genre fans care more about the shows on networks like FOX or Syfy, so their cancellations hit us harder and upset us more, even though they're not actually more common than cancellations on other networks. So we blame the networks for being mean to our favorite shows, when really those shows would never have existed at all if those networks weren't so committed to creating interesting genre shows in the first place. I mean, there's not as much loyalty for things like 666 Park Avenue or Cult or The Cape, so when they die young, it doesn't provoke as much ire.

Anyway, those shows you list are from decades ago. A network is not a continuous living entity. It's a company run by people, and the people who made the decisions to cancel those shows and Firefly have all long since moved on to other jobs. The people running FOX today, and for the past few years, have proven themselves to be far more supportive of genre shows, and far more willing to take risks to keep a show on the air, than their predecessors a decade ago. Really, holding a grudge against the current FOX regime for the way their forerunners handled Firefly or Alien Nation is like blaming President Obama for the decisions of Presidents Bush and Reagan just because they all have the same job. It doesn't make any sense.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 06:38 PM   #29
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Fantastic! Im sure itll be different than the movie, but that movie is one of the most entertaining of it's kind in the last 25 years. Its one of the few movies I watch at least once a year. Highly fun and highly underrated.

RAMA
Old July 10 2013, 08:00 PM   #30
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
DWF wrote: View Post
I like the movie, but I can't see a TV working for very long.
I've never seen the movie, heard it was terrible.

I loved the comics though.
The comics went after the rails too. They had Harry Potter killing people with his penis and shooting out Hogwarts ala Columbine.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote