RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,374
Posts: 5,446,683
Members: 24,972
Currently online: 574
Newest member: Tom Sawyer

TrekToday headlines

Crowded Coop Trek-Themed Bags and Wallets
By: T'Bonz on Oct 31

Original Series Hoodies
By: T'Bonz on Oct 31

Star Trek-Planet Of The Apes Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Oct 31

November-December 2014 Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Oct 31

Kruge Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Oct 30

Two Trek Actors In Green Room
By: T'Bonz on Oct 30

Trek UglyDolls First Look
By: T'Bonz on Oct 29

New Star Trek Select Action Figure
By: T'Bonz on Oct 29

Trek Actors In Elsa & Fred
By: T'Bonz on Oct 29

The Red Shirt Diaries #9
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 9 2013, 08:23 PM   #331
Davros
Fleet Admiral
 
Davros's Avatar
 
Location: Kaled bunker, Skaro
Re: Why are Creationists so afraid of Evolution?

RyanKCR wrote: View Post
Jesus also told people to stop sinning and turn from evil. He also told His followers to tell the Good News that everyone can be saved and to do so means turning from their sin. This was His main message. What you mentioned is only a part of what He said.
But he also made it clear that it isn't up to us to judge another for their sins while we have sins of our own.
__________________
"Taxes are the price we pay for a civilized society," -Oliver Wendell Holmes
Davros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2013, 09:19 PM   #332
RyanKCR
Vice Admiral
 
RyanKCR's Avatar
 
Location: RyanKCR is living here in Allentown
Re: Why are Creationists so afraid of Evolution?

Davros wrote: View Post
RyanKCR wrote: View Post
Jesus also told people to stop sinning and turn from evil. He also told His followers to tell the Good News that everyone can be saved and to do so means turning from their sin. This was His main message. What you mentioned is only a part of what He said.
But he also made it clear that it isn't up to us to judge another for their sins while we have sins of our own.
That's not quite accurate.
__________________
"I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to.....I guess."
"If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
"Not all treasure is sliver and gold, mate."
RyanKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2013, 09:22 PM   #333
Shazam!
Rear Admiral
 
Shazam!'s Avatar
 
Re: Why are Creationists so afraid of Evolution?

None of it's accurate.
Shazam! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2013, 09:42 PM   #334
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral
 
Geoff Peterson's Avatar
 
Location: 20 feet from an outlet
Re: Why are Creationists so afraid of Evolution?

RyanKCR wrote: View Post
Davros wrote: View Post
RyanKCR wrote: View Post
Jesus also told people to stop sinning and turn from evil. He also told His followers to tell the Good News that everyone can be saved and to do so means turning from their sin. This was His main message. What you mentioned is only a part of what He said.
But he also made it clear that it isn't up to us to judge another for their sins while we have sins of our own.
That's not quite accurate.
Are you going to trot out the idea the sins have to match thing?
__________________
Nerys Myk
Geoff Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2013, 09:54 PM   #335
Professor McGonagall
Rear Admiral
 
Professor McGonagall's Avatar
 
Location: Visiting with Tora Ziyal
Re: Why are Creationists so afraid of Evolution?

^ The what?
Professor McGonagall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2013, 10:00 PM   #336
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man
 
Rainbow Dash's Avatar
 
Location: J. Allen's House
Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash
Re: Why are Creationists so afraid of Evolution?

Tora Ziyal wrote: View Post
^ The what?
The idea that you can call someone out for their sin if it's not the same sin as yours. It's a very literal interpretation of the speck and plank parable Jesus spoke of in the book of Matthew.
__________________
Twilight Sparkle: It sounds like somepony is jealous.
Spike: [writing] Rainbow Dash is jealous.
Rainbow Dash: Don't write that, Spike! [all the other ponies laugh]
Spike: [writing] Correction; Rainbow Dash is very jealous.
Rainbow Dash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2013, 10:51 PM   #337
iguana_tonante
Admiral
 
iguana_tonante's Avatar
 
Location: Italy, EU
Re: Why are Creationists so afraid of Evolution?

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
It is - again - besides the point, which is that blaming religion for everything is wrong.
Good thing nobody is doing that, then. Really, how many times are you going to repeat that bold-faced lie, hoping nobody would notice?
__________________
Scientist. Gentleman. Teacher. Fighter. Lover. Father.
iguana_tonante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2013, 11:33 PM   #338
Davros
Fleet Admiral
 
Davros's Avatar
 
Location: Kaled bunker, Skaro
Re: Why are Creationists so afraid of Evolution?

RyanKCR wrote: View Post
Davros wrote: View Post
RyanKCR wrote: View Post
Jesus also told people to stop sinning and turn from evil. He also told His followers to tell the Good News that everyone can be saved and to do so means turning from their sin. This was His main message. What you mentioned is only a part of what He said.
But he also made it clear that it isn't up to us to judge another for their sins while we have sins of our own.
That's not quite accurate.
Actually it's completely accurate.

Tend to the log in your own eye
Judge not lest ye be judged
let he who is without sin
__________________
"Taxes are the price we pay for a civilized society," -Oliver Wendell Holmes
Davros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2013, 11:51 PM   #339
Professor McGonagall
Rear Admiral
 
Professor McGonagall's Avatar
 
Location: Visiting with Tora Ziyal
Re: Why are Creationists so afraid of Evolution?

J. Allen wrote: View Post
Tora Ziyal wrote: View Post
^ The what?
The idea that you can call someone out for their sin if it's not the same sin as yours. It's a very literal interpretation of the speck and plank parable Jesus spoke of in the book of Matthew.
Wow, never heard that. I'm kind of speechless.
Professor McGonagall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 01:27 AM   #340
Dead Possum
An Ex-Awesome Possum
 
Dead Possum's Avatar
 
Location: Your Nightmares
View Dead Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Dead Possum Send a message via AIM to Dead Possum
Re: Why are Creationists so afraid of Evolution?

RyanKCR wrote: View Post
Awesome Possum wrote: View Post
It isn't the root of all evil. But people who are smart enough are able to use it to justify anything to the people who follow them. Those people do truly believe and I don't think they're evil, just brainwashed. Most of the time the people preaching it are just as brainwashed, so it's basically a sad cycle of abuse.

I'm sure that religion could be done in such a way that it didn't lead to abuse, but that isn't happening anytime soon. Really the closest would be if Christians actually did what Jesus told them to do and help the poor and love everyone like they love themselves. But they rather try to control the lives of everyone around them. They're really lucky it's a myth, I doubt a single one would actually make it to Heaven. Heaven would only be Jesus, Old Yeller and Mr. Rogers.
Jesus also told people to stop sinning and turn from evil. He also told His followers to tell the Good News that everyone can be saved and to do so means turning from their sin. This was His main message. What you mentioned is only a part of what He said.
He also told his followers to sell all their possessions and give the money to the poor. Have you done that yet? Have you actually read the Bible or just had a preacher tell it to you? I've read it and I've read your posts over the years, the Biblical Jesus wouldn't be a fan of your actions. You're a sinner if you accept his teachings and have absolutely no right to say anything about the sins of anyone else.

He didn't say let he with a different sin cast the first stone.
__________________
"We're not rotting, we're fermenting!"
Dead Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 01:34 AM   #341
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man
 
Rainbow Dash's Avatar
 
Location: J. Allen's House
Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash
Re: Why are Creationists so afraid of Evolution?

Tora Ziyal wrote: View Post
J. Allen wrote: View Post
Tora Ziyal wrote: View Post
^ The what?
The idea that you can call someone out for their sin if it's not the same sin as yours. It's a very literal interpretation of the speck and plank parable Jesus spoke of in the book of Matthew.
Wow, never heard that. I'm kind of speechless.
I know a number of Non-Denom pastors who used to push that reasoning when referring to gay marriage, liberals, et al. It varies from sect to sect, and usually the most conservative ones are the ones pushing it the heaviest, at least in my neck of the woods.
__________________
Twilight Sparkle: It sounds like somepony is jealous.
Spike: [writing] Rainbow Dash is jealous.
Rainbow Dash: Don't write that, Spike! [all the other ponies laugh]
Spike: [writing] Correction; Rainbow Dash is very jealous.
Rainbow Dash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 04:23 AM   #342
RyanKCR
Vice Admiral
 
RyanKCR's Avatar
 
Location: RyanKCR is living here in Allentown
Re: Why are Creationists so afraid of Evolution?

Davros wrote: View Post
RyanKCR wrote: View Post
Davros wrote: View Post
But he also made it clear that it isn't up to us to judge another for their sins while we have sins of our own.
That's not quite accurate.
Actually it's completely accurate.

Tend to the log in your own eye
Judge not lest ye be judged
let he who is without sin
He also commanded to judge righteously.

Awesome Possum wrote: View Post
RyanKCR wrote: View Post
Awesome Possum wrote: View Post
It isn't the root of all evil. But people who are smart enough are able to use it to justify anything to the people who follow them. Those people do truly believe and I don't think they're evil, just brainwashed. Most of the time the people preaching it are just as brainwashed, so it's basically a sad cycle of abuse.

I'm sure that religion could be done in such a way that it didn't lead to abuse, but that isn't happening anytime soon. Really the closest would be if Christians actually did what Jesus told them to do and help the poor and love everyone like they love themselves. But they rather try to control the lives of everyone around them. They're really lucky it's a myth, I doubt a single one would actually make it to Heaven. Heaven would only be Jesus, Old Yeller and Mr. Rogers.
Jesus also told people to stop sinning and turn from evil. He also told His followers to tell the Good News that everyone can be saved and to do so means turning from their sin. This was His main message. What you mentioned is only a part of what He said.
He also told his followers to sell all their possessions and give the money to the poor. Have you done that yet?
That is not accurate either.
Have you actually read the Bible or just had a preacher tell it to you? I've read it and I've read your posts over the years, the Biblical Jesus wouldn't be a fan of your actions. You're a sinner if you accept his teachings and have absolutely no right to say anything about the sins of anyone else.

He didn't say let he with a different sin cast the first stone.
Who are you to judge when you don't accept or understand it yourself?
__________________
"I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to.....I guess."
"If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
"Not all treasure is sliver and gold, mate."
RyanKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 04:34 AM   #343
Davros
Fleet Admiral
 
Davros's Avatar
 
Location: Kaled bunker, Skaro
Re: Why are Creationists so afraid of Evolution?

RyanKCR wrote: View Post
Davros wrote: View Post
RyanKCR wrote: View Post

That's not quite accurate.
Actually it's completely accurate.

Tend to the log in your own eye
Judge not lest ye be judged
let he who is without sin
He also commanded to judge righteously.
3 quotes saying not to judge vs one possible in favor of judging. Add to those the "offer no resistance to the wicked" line and my argument looks stronger and stronger.
__________________
"Taxes are the price we pay for a civilized society," -Oliver Wendell Holmes
Davros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 04:56 AM   #344
Dead Possum
An Ex-Awesome Possum
 
Dead Possum's Avatar
 
Location: Your Nightmares
View Dead Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Dead Possum Send a message via AIM to Dead Possum
Re: Why are Creationists so afraid of Evolution?

RyanKCR wrote: View Post
Awesome Possum wrote: View Post
He also told his followers to sell all their possessions and give the money to the poor. Have you done that yet?
That is not accurate either.
Maybe you should read the Bible if you want to go to Heaven.
RyanKCR wrote: View Post
Have you actually read the Bible or just had a preacher tell it to you? I've read it and I've read your posts over the years, the Biblical Jesus wouldn't be a fan of your actions. You're a sinner if you accept his teachings and have absolutely no right to say anything about the sins of anyone else.

He didn't say let he with a different sin cast the first stone.
Who are you to judge when you don't accept or understand it yourself?
I'm not a Christian, I don't have to follow the rules of your imaginary friend.
__________________
"We're not rotting, we're fermenting!"
Dead Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 05:12 AM   #345
RyanKCR
Vice Admiral
 
RyanKCR's Avatar
 
Location: RyanKCR is living here in Allentown
Re: Why are Creationists so afraid of Evolution?

Davros wrote: View Post
RyanKCR wrote: View Post
Davros wrote: View Post
Actually it's completely accurate.

Tend to the log in your own eye
Judge not lest ye be judged
let he who is without sin
He also commanded to judge righteously.
3 quotes saying not to judge vs one possible in favor of judging. Add to those the "offer no resistance to the wicked" line and my argument looks stronger and stronger.
"You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother’s eye."
"Do not judge by appearances, but judge with right judgment."
“If your brother sins, rebuke him, and if he repents, forgive him.”

Awesome Possum wrote: View Post
RyanKCR wrote: View Post
Awesome Possum wrote: View Post
He also told his followers to sell all their possessions and give the money to the poor. Have you done that yet?
That is not accurate either.
Maybe you should read the Bible if you want to go to Heaven.
RyanKCR wrote: View Post
Have you actually read the Bible or just had a preacher tell it to you? I've read it and I've read your posts over the years, the Biblical Jesus wouldn't be a fan of your actions. You're a sinner if you accept his teachings and have absolutely no right to say anything about the sins of anyone else.

He didn't say let he with a different sin cast the first stone.
Who are you to judge when you don't accept or understand it yourself?
I'm not a Christian, I don't have to follow the rules of your imaginary friend.
I still don't understand how you feel you can judge what or who a Christian is if you don't believe in it,
__________________
"I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to.....I guess."
"If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
"Not all treasure is sliver and gold, mate."
RyanKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.