RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,622
Posts: 5,426,558
Members: 24,809
Currently online: 510
Newest member: down to earth

TrekToday headlines

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

September Loot Crate Features Trek Surprise
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

USS Enterprise Miniature Out For Refit
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Comic Crossover
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 10 2013, 02:51 AM   #61
DalekJim
Fleet Captain
 
DalekJim's Avatar
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Orson Scott Card "Please don't boycott my film!"

BillJ wrote: View Post
DalekJim wrote: View Post

Well, I think somebody should be allowed to openly bash gay folks, just as you should be allowed to say Orson Card is a douche for bashing gays.
Where did I say either Card should not be allowed to say what he wants? Freedom of Speech doesn't mean freedom from consequences of that speech.
I didn't say that you'd said that, for once we actually agree on something.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 02:57 AM   #62
Awesome Possum
I've Rebooted Myself
 
Awesome Possum's Avatar
 
Location: Someplace Shiny
View Awesome Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Awesome Possum Send a message via AIM to Awesome Possum
Re: Orson Scott Card "Please don't boycott my film!"

DalekJim wrote: View Post
I did, and I disagreed with it. A bunch of liberals making a huge song and dance about not seeing a movie adaptation of a book they've never bothered to read anyway, isn't a genuine protest. It's just making a virtue of being offended.
I'm more offended by his begging for people to see his movie than his idiotic comments. He has spent his career and likely whole life attacking a minority, now he's crying because there is some blowback. Like a child with a toy gun crying because after an afternoon of shooting at people got hit himself.

I said that I do tolerate what he says and would defend his right to say them. Tolerance isn't seeing a movie because you can't stand the author's views. Tolerance is allowing him to say it despite the fact that they're disgusting because he has a right to. It should be a simple enough concept for anyone.

I don't want to see the movie purely because I have no interest in it. I doesn't appeal to me. If there are good reviews I might check it out, but will most likely wait for Netflix. It actually has little to do with the author.

BillJ wrote: View Post
I guess I'm confused.

Someone is allowed to openly bash gay folks, but I'm the bad guy because I decide not to purchase their product because I disagree...
Well, I think somebody should be allowed to openly bash gay folks, just as you should be allowed to say Orson Card is a douche for bashing gays.
You certainly seem to get upset at the idea though.
__________________
Space Dandy! He's a dandy guy...in space.
He combs the galaxy like his pompadour on the hunt for aliens.
Planet after planet he searches, discovering new creatures both friendly and not.
These are the spectacular adventures of Space Dandy and his brave space crew. In space.
Awesome Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 02:58 AM   #63
theenglish
Rear Admiral
 
theenglish's Avatar
 
Location: Suriname
Re: Orson Scott Card "Please don't boycott my film!"

BillJ wrote: View Post
theenglish wrote: View Post

If you're referring to my reference about Bradbury, he stated that F451 is NOT about government censorship. Rather it is about the dangers of what later became political correctness. In the novel, the people demanded that books be censored because they were offended by racial slurs or content that offended people.
I don't see anyone here saying Card shouldn't be free to say or write whatever he feels like.
I was just clarifying an early comment that may have been misunderstood. It was in my warning about the boycott.

I really would dread seeing a bunch of protesters outside of movie theaters calling people homophobes and bigots as they are taking their children to see this movie. I hope the people who do boycott it do so in an appropriate and respectful manner.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 03:01 AM   #64
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral
 
Ancient Mariner's Avatar
 
Location: Sailing for adventure on the Big Blue Wet Thing™
View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile
Re: Orson Scott Card "Please don't boycott my film!"

theenglish wrote: View Post
I hope the people who do boycott it do so in an appropriate and respectful manner.
It's pretty simple: I won't buy a ticket. People walking up to a theater ticket window/kiosk have already made their decision. Not only would it be awkward, but picketing would also be a monumental waste of time. Better to use the internet to raise awareness before hand - something Card himself has done with his preposterous plea for "tolerance."
__________________
Ancient Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 03:01 AM   #65
sidious618
Admiral
 
sidious618's Avatar
 
Location: New York, US
Send a message via AIM to sidious618
Re: Orson Scott Card "Please don't boycott my film!"

theenglish wrote: View Post
I really would dread seeing a bunch of protesters outside of movie theaters calling people homophobes and bigots as they are taking their children to see this movie. I hope the people who do boycott it do so in an appropriate and respectful manner.
But there's no reason to worry about that happening.
__________________
We've met before, haven't we?
sidious618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 03:03 AM   #66
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: Orson Scott Card "Please don't boycott my film!"

DalekJim wrote: View Post
I did, and I disagreed with it. A bunch of liberals making a huge song and dance about not seeing a movie adaptation of a book they've never bothered to read anyway, isn't a genuine protest. It's just making a virtue of being offended.
Let me get this straight, you feel bigotry should be tolerated? How far should this tolerance go?

So, liberals who have read the book and wish to boycott the film because of things Card has said are okay? Because its his views on Homosexuality that's being protested, not the book.

Where did you borrow "making a virtue of being offended" from? It's already getting tired.
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 03:03 AM   #67
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Orson Scott Card "Please don't boycott my film!"

I'm just wonder why folks you claim to value personal freedom and don't want government in their lives are all for legislating what goes on in the bedroom?
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 03:09 AM   #68
DalekJim
Fleet Captain
 
DalekJim's Avatar
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Orson Scott Card "Please don't boycott my film!"

theenglish wrote: View Post
I really would dread seeing a bunch of protesters outside of movie theaters calling people homophobes and bigots as they are taking their children to see this movie.
Shit like this has happened already. People are being branded as supporters of homophobia for praising Card's writing or saying they'll pay to see the movie. It's putting a knee-jerk emotional reaction over intellectual thought.

People have the right not to go watch Ender's Game, They do not have the right to never be offended, and their desire not to be upset should not affect other people's freedoms and happiness. Aggressive political correctness has only served to make liberals more sensitive when they do see material offensive to them. If people don't want to see Ender's Game because it'll upset them so much being reminded of the author's views regarding marital legislation, then that is fine. Weird, but fine. If they don't want Orson Scott Card to receive their money because of his opinions, then that is also fine.

But dismissing the book itself as being homophobic is infuriating to me.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 03:09 AM   #69
Davros
Fleet Admiral
 
Davros's Avatar
 
Location: Kaled bunker, Skaro
Re: Orson Scott Card "Please don't boycott my film!"

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Well, I think somebody should be allowed to openly bash gay folks, just as you should be allowed to say Orson Card is a douche for bashing gays.
My not giving him some of my hard earned money, doesn't stop him from bashing anybody he likes.
__________________
"Taxes are the price we pay for a civilized society," -Oliver Wendell Holmes
Davros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 03:10 AM   #70
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Bulawayo Military Krral
Re: Orson Scott Card "Please don't boycott my film!"

There's a really good other reason not to support either the book or the movie; the fact that it supports child soldiering indirectly by having Ender Wiggin and his pals be fighting a war. Why can't the Earth Government or whatever it's called just have a planetary draft, and get the troops it needs to fight the war that way? Why involve children?
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 03:11 AM   #71
Awesome Possum
I've Rebooted Myself
 
Awesome Possum's Avatar
 
Location: Someplace Shiny
View Awesome Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Awesome Possum Send a message via AIM to Awesome Possum
Re: Orson Scott Card "Please don't boycott my film!"

Are people actually go to picket the movie? Because I thought that some people just don't want to see it.
__________________
Space Dandy! He's a dandy guy...in space.
He combs the galaxy like his pompadour on the hunt for aliens.
Planet after planet he searches, discovering new creatures both friendly and not.
These are the spectacular adventures of Space Dandy and his brave space crew. In space.
Awesome Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 03:11 AM   #72
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: Orson Scott Card "Please don't boycott my film!"

BillJ wrote: View Post
I guess I'm confused.

Someone is allowed to openly bash gay folks, but I'm the bad guy because I decide not to purchase their product because I disagree...
Sure he has an opinion, but Orson also sits on the board and donates money to a multimillion dollar fund/lobby group that attempts to control/shape legal measures against homosexuality for which he is a public spokesperson of.

He's the face of "I fuck my wife".

It's all really bush league, but Card is putting a little too much effort in for my liking, but really no more than your average priest in a pulpit screaming about the wages of sin.
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 03:14 AM   #73
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Orson Scott Card "Please don't boycott my film!"

DalekJim wrote: View Post

But dismissing the book itself as being homophobic is infuriating to me.
Yet you have no problem constantly misinterpreting what other posters write.
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 03:15 AM   #74
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Orson Scott Card "Please don't boycott my film!"

Awesome Possum wrote: View Post
Are people actually go to picket the movie? Because I thought that some people just don't want to see it.
I haven't heard of anyone planning a picket, but it's still early. I'll just vote with my wallet what I think of Card.
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 03:16 AM   #75
DalekJim
Fleet Captain
 
DalekJim's Avatar
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Orson Scott Card "Please don't boycott my film!"

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
It's all really bush league, but Card is putting a little too much effort in for my liking.
I agree with that, it's what annoys me about him the most. The fact he doesn't want gays to marry has never phased me, that's a fairly standard viewpoint for many people. It's the fact he's devoted an obsessive amount of time and money in to his anti-gay campaign that weirds me out. I have no idea what his deal is.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.