Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 9 2013, 02:47 AM   #226
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Re: Falling Skies - season 3

I'm all over the place, because that's who I am, you seem to be as dishevelled in your arguments as I am. I'm obviously a bad influence. Sorry about that.

What's your opinion on the Emperor of America?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emperor_Norton

Or what about when there were two Presidents?

Was Jefferson Davis still the President after the Confederacy surrendered?

Would Hathaway still be president if he tried to surrender? How many unsuccessful surrenders were his seconds going to allow him before they relived Ben of duty for being wimp?

Focussing on your argument...

The President is the president until he dies (or reaches the end of his term, or reaches the end of his term limits. It's been three years. If Hathaway is persisting without re-election, then his presidency may not be entirely legal. But then asking for a show of hands from a room full of his buddies might technically count as an election.).

The President is given power by the people through election, and it is that power that defines him and not the size or power of the actual United States, since, as far as the Aspheni war machine is concerned they own every inch of land on the planet which he could think to stand on. So even if there is no United States the real-estate, there's still the United States the concept which is in the hearts of the citizens, you know until they're all murdered by Aspheni cannon fire, just like how the Jews wandered around for centuries without a country to call their own.

So after they kill all the Americans, is it then that there is no United States of America? I mean there is still an Italy and a Rome, but no "Romans" to speak of despite Tony Soprano's protestations other wise that he is the legacy of the Roman Empire... RIP Jim.

Yes I agree that a white on white (wait for it.) civil war is unlikely after Earth is taken back, especially if Free Elections are on the books immediatelyish that Hathaway can stand against whoever represents Charleston and any other contenders for leadership... Although if Hathaway has been in touch with and protecting %99 of the country which survived the first days of the war, surely his base in the millions should be able to outvote the shit out of the thousands living in Charleston even if they are the greatest war heroes ever?

Back to the racial thing.

Native Americans.

Fuck whitey.

Whitey moved in, out bred them, and invented a mystical magical pretend government that stole their land and turned them for the most part for the first 400 years into third class citizens.

To the Indians, there should be barely any difference between the Aspheni and the Europeans, and frankly if they don't take advantage of this opportunity to fight whitey on a level playing field to take their country back, they almost deserve being practically exterminated by white America, just like multicoloured America deserved to be exterminated if they had rolled over for the Aspheni.

In the other post Apocalypse show "Revolution" if whitey strays into Plains Nation Territory, which covers a serious chunk of the former united states, they get their face cut off.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz

Last edited by Guy Gardener; July 9 2013 at 03:47 AM.
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2013, 03:40 AM   #227
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Yesterday's episode was completely pointless. Why resign? I know the show is just a fun adventure show, but at times it's just like "This is a waste of a decent idea for a show".

Also, I'm not one to normally pick like "Why do the aliens speak English on Star Trek", but why would they be making booze? I'd use the corn and what not to make ethanol to make gasoline.
Old July 9 2013, 06:31 AM   #228
sojourner
Admiral

Who was making booze? I was under the impression it was all scavenged.
Old July 9 2013, 01:39 PM   #229
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
Vodka and Gin are fairly easily to distill so long as you have potatoes and boiling water.
DarthTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2013, 02:04 PM   #230
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

If they had boiling water, everyone wouldn't look so filthy.

Old July 9 2013, 06:53 PM   #231
sojourner
Admiral

DarthTom wrote: View Post
sojourner wrote: View Post
Vodka and Gin are fairly easily to distill so long as you have potatoes and boiling water.
Did I miss a line in the show regarding them making alcohol?
Old July 9 2013, 11:48 PM   #232
Shawnster
Fleet Captain

^ No, you didn't miss any comments about them making alcohol. We're assuming, and for good reason. It's been what, 3, 4 years since the invasion? Where is all this alcohol coming from? Pope runs a bar! The Col. stopped by whiskey (which is not that easy to distill and doesn't come from potatoes, unlike vodka). It they are getting all of this booze from scavenging, then I'd think they would be running out before now. You have to think a lot got destroyed in the invasion. Your local mini-mart or state liquor store isn't going to have 3 or 4 years of booze stockpiled.

And, yes, where is the gasoline coming from? More scavenging? Gas goes bad if it sits too long.

Velocity wrote: View Post
I am losing interest in the show. I loved the alien invasion story to begin with, but I lost interest when the baby storyline came along. There are other things as well, but I don't want to slip in any spoilers.
I'm actually shocked we've made it 3 years with a renewal for season 4. 10 episodes a season with such a long break in between, I'm really surprised we all remember the show is on come the next season.

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
I'm also betting that the president and Cochise will turn up alive. Their unconfirmed deaths have been unconfirmed for too long.
My thoughts exactly. It's like we've completely forgotten about the other plane going down and his entire organization. Surely there was more to Hathaway's group than just what was on that one plane.

And we've not gotten a replacement for Cochise yet?

Either we've got a completely dropped story point or we'll see someone from that plane wreck again.

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
The Charleston presidency means jack shit if there's a real president who has connected the entire rest of America together...
Yes, IF. The plane crash just puts us back where we started. If Hathaway's alive, he's still the real president. If he's not, there is no legitimate line of succession behind him so the Charelston Presidency is just as legitimate as anybody else's.
Admiral2 wrote: View Post
The old America is dead.
Not if the pre-invasion president is still alive. Quote you:

The Charleston presidency means jack shit if there's a real president
Exactly.
This is where it's going to get real confusing. What makes the Charleston group any more "official" than some other band of Americans fighting on the West Coast? In all likelihood there are numerous Presidents of the "New" United States scattered about in San Diego, Seattle, Tulsa, etc... You get my point. Falling Skies is focused on this one group of survivors or insurgents. What gives this group of insurgents any more authority than another group that is off screen? They are all cut off from one another and isolated. There is no way for Charleston to know if they are the only group left in the United States or if there are other groups.

To assume they are the supreme authority of the "New" United States is either arrogant or exaggeration. The idea that someone can be President is just as much a joke. Who voted? When were elections held? How widespread was the voting? Does the "New" Untied States encompass all the territory of the "Old" United States? Were the citizens in these areas given a chance to vote?

We saw the President a few episodes ago. Apparently he survived the invasion and has been trying to fight back. Was he in touch with the rest of the Nation? Did all of those in the line of Presidential succession know Hathaway was still alive and in charge? Was there or is there another resistance group in Nevada or Minnesota being led by someone that is in the line of Presidential succession? What about the state governors? While they are not listed in the line of succession, they are in charge of their state. Further, I can see how, in such a widespread disaster, a governor would assume control and declare himself "President" of the United States. Heck, Alaska and Hawaii are probably completely untouched by this invasion.

No, this is all just one big mess. If or when the humans do survive and kick the alien invaders off the Earth, there is going to be a big mess to sort out. The old country boundaries definitely no longer mean anything. Being President, Prime Minister, King or Emperor doesn't mean anything either when your entire nation has been blasted back to the stone age. Do you really think Canada or Mexico has respected the border? If there was a strong organized government in either of those countries, don't you think they would cross over into the United States in search of food, fuel or supplies? I'm sure they would assume control of any pockets of humanity they could easily reach. Heck, the scant survivors hiding in Brownville, TX would welcome their new Mexican governors and leaders if it meant food, fuel, medical care and organized resistance to the invaders.

In such a devastating and destructive invasion that we've seen depicted, all the old borders will become meaningless. Heck, even the state borders won't mean anything. Do you really think all those survivors living in Michigan's Upper Peninsula would look to anyone in Lansing for direction and support? The Mackinac bridge is probably gone and anyone in the UP would have to look to Wisc. for any hope of civilization and support.
Shawnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 12:24 AM   #233
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Hathaway was/is in contact, co-ordinaiting "hundreds" of resistance groups up and down continental America.

Charleston believed it was the last hold out of humanity, that had to make as many babies as possible before the species died out.

Old July 10 2013, 12:47 AM   #234
propita
Rear Admiral

They showed a trailer for next week. Hathaway's in a hospital bed.
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 02:56 AM   #235
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

It's been only two years since the invasion. Doesn't make sense to me, but they mentioned it a few episodes back.
Old July 10 2013, 03:16 AM   #236
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

2 and a fraction, but it has to be closer to 3 than 2.

Old July 10 2013, 04:59 AM   #237
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

It's been 25 or 26 months. I swear the first season takes place 6 months after, then 3 months between seasons 1 and 2 (I think) and 7 months between seasons 2 and 3.

So pretty much everything we have seen on scene only takes place in 9 months.
Old July 10 2013, 09:29 AM   #238
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

propita wrote: View Post
They showed a trailer for next week. Hathaway's in a hospital bed.
I didn't think we'd seen the last of him.
Old July 10 2013, 10:06 AM   #239
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
It's been 25 or 26 months. I swear the first season takes place 6 months after, then 3 months between seasons 1 and 2 (I think) and 7 months between seasons 2 and 3.

Do your sums work out the same if you use the baby as a yard stick?

Old July 11 2013, 05:24 AM   #240
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

bigdaddy wrote: View Post

Do your sums work out the same if you use the baby as a yard stick?
No because it's an alien baby and it be like "Whats a yard?"