Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old July 9 2013, 07:34 PM   #16
Timo
Admiral

Re: Why did Kirk Kill Mitchell?

Mitchell already showed signs of being content with building his own paradise - a conventional one, but possibly a first step in creating a whole separate universe for his personal purposes. But that probably wouldn't stop him from blinking other universes on and off just as a hobby project...

I think Kirk always knew that Spock was right: that Mitchell had to die. But it took a lot until he would admit to this. Grabbing a rifle and going after Mitchell was probably still a half-measure - something that Kirk excused to himself as a "rescue operation" to save Dehner's life, but that in reality was just a final attempt to delay putting Mitchell to death. The rifle still had a stun setting, probably, and at least allowed Kirk to have dialogue from behind the sights; the orbital irradiation would be final.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2013, 08:32 PM   #17
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
I always thought it was pretty clear that Kirk couldn't let Mitchell survive.
Agree.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2013, 08:36 PM   #18
feek61
Captain

ssosmcin wrote: View Post
The real question should be, "why didn't Kirk just grab the phaser rifle when Gary was normalized and blow him away instead of having a brawl?" I mean, aside from "the episode had to end with a fistfight in a ditch."
Kirk knew he didn't have much time. Mitchell is not just going to stand there while Kirk runs over and gets the phaser rifle. He most likely would have used the rocks as cover; causing Kirk to search around for a clear shot. He obviously knew he didn't have time for that and thought that he would get GM while GM was still on the ground.
Old July 9 2013, 08:58 PM   #19
Crazyewok
Commander

Or he could have just beamed up once he saw Dehner had gone the same way and glassed the planet from orbit.....
Crazyewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2013, 09:19 PM   #20
Timo
Admiral

I guess any attempt at retreating would have been aborted by Mitchell, who by that time very well knew Kirk was watching.

Not that this need have affected Kirk's decision-making in any way. But I don't see Kirk retreating anyway: he'd probably have been ready to stay back and ensure that Mitchell dies along with Dehner and himself, what with his mounting ire at Mitchell, his mounting despair over his own impotence, and his mounting understanding of the severity of the threat Mitchell really posed to life, the universe and everything.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2013, 09:41 PM   #21
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Kevman7987 wrote: View Post
Hmm. I wonder if Dehner and Mitchell would have eventually become so powerful they would have lost corporeal form and moved on. Our entire reality so below them that they just ignore it?
Or would they eventually have evolved beyond petty cruelty, megalomania and the desire for power for its own sake, like David McCallum in the Outer Limits episode "The Sixth Finger"?
Old July 9 2013, 09:50 PM   #22
CrazyMatt
Commander

Perhaps Kirk began to worry that Mitchell's abilities could possibly interfere with the Enterprise's safe departure from Delta Vega. If he killed Kelso, would he hesitate to kill others?
Old July 9 2013, 10:12 PM   #23
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

For awhile there I doubted that Mitchell could be killed at all. But I'm guessing that since his powers were more mental than anything else, he was still a human being, and could still be killed by conventional means. Getting close enough to do it would be the only problem.

Although I'm liking the idea of the Q stepping in. Perhaps they were monitoring the situation and decided to 'allow' Mitchell to be killed, because if he escaped (which he surely would), he could threaten even them.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2013, 10:16 PM   #24
Richard Baker
Commander

The way Mitchell's power was growing there was no way to know for sure if he could be contained on the planet or destroy the Enterprise as it was leaving- you only saw the things he could do when he chose to 'show off' a bit.
I wonder- if ESP ratings were the key to this evolutionary jump, why was not Spock affected? Perhaps the mental abilities of Vulcans was not in the shows lexicon yet..
Richard Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2013, 10:18 PM   #25
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

^ Perhaps Vulcan mental abilities work on a different 'wavelength' as it were. Similar to TNG, where IIRC there are certain races which may be empathic or telepathic but which Betazoid mental abilities don't work with.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 01:10 AM   #26
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

You know how this would work in real life: having done exactly the right thing, the thing that had to be done, Kirk would be put on trial for murder.

"Why did you decide to follow Mr. Mitchell?"

Anyway, I'm glad things went down the way they did. A Shatner-Kirk fistfight is better, more stylish, than what you typically got on other action shows. Add in some Star Trek fight music, which is also superior, and its pure action heaven.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 01:12 AM   #27
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
You know how this would work in real life: having done exactly the right thing, the thing that had to be done, Kirk would be put on trial for murder.

"Why did you decide to follow Mr. Mitchell?"
I really don't think comparing it to the real-life death of a young person is cool.
Old July 10 2013, 01:34 AM   #28
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
Of course and most likely, the Q Continuum would have put a stop to Mitchell's rampage (where do the Q come from, did they also encounter the energy barrier?) but Kirk did it himself, so they didn't see the need to interfere.

Bob
There's a pro novel in which the author used the idea that Q was the energy barrier, and when the ship plowed into it, there were a few humans who got limited Q powers. Being human, with no knowledge of how to handle so much power, they handled it very badly.

Crazyewok wrote: View Post
Or he could have just beamed up once he saw Dehner had gone the same way and glassed the planet from orbit.....
Gary could easily have made the ship blow up, or crash into the planet. He had to be stopped, period.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 03:08 AM   #29
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Richard Baker wrote: View Post
I wonder- if ESP ratings were the key to this evolutionary jump, why was not Spock affected? Perhaps the mental abilities of Vulcans was not in the shows lexicon yet..
Perhaps Vulcan mental abilities work on a different 'wavelength' as it were. Similar to TNG, where IIRC there are certain races which may be empathic or telepathic but which Betazoid mental abilities don't work with.
Bringing Spock's telepathic abilities into the story is a retcon, like dragging the Q into it. The first we heard of the Vulcan mind meld was in "Dagger of the Mind."
Old July 10 2013, 06:19 AM   #30
Push The Button
Captain

Crazyewok wrote: View Post
Just watched were no man has gone before.

Why didnt they just go with the orginal plan of just marooning him.

After they fixed the ship they could have just beamed up and left him and Dehner on planet as the transporters were working.

Once back in contact at starfleet they could have just made the planet a quarantined planet like talos and left it as that.
If "Where No Man.." had been a Next Generation episode, that's probably how it would have ended. In 1965, however, a bloody fistfight-to-the-death was still an acceptable way to conclude a story on a TV drama.
Push The Button is offline   Reply With Quote