RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,605
Posts: 5,425,327
Members: 24,806
Currently online: 590
Newest member: Mudang Harada

TrekToday headlines

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

September Loot Crate Features Trek Surprise
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

USS Enterprise Miniature Out For Refit
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Comic Crossover
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 7 2013, 11:56 PM   #16
Gotham Central
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Chicago, IL
View Gotham Central's Twitter Profile
Re: Corporate Bad Guys

Captain_Amasov wrote: View Post
After all these years, OmniCorp is still my favourite villain corporation.
OmniCorp? Isn't that the new name for Omni Consumer Products aka OCP?
__________________
Well maybe I'm the faggot America.
I'm not a part of a redneck agenda.
Now everybody do the propaganda.
And sing along in the age of paranoia

Green Day
Gotham Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 12:03 AM   #17
Gotham Central
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Chicago, IL
View Gotham Central's Twitter Profile
Re: Corporate Bad Guys

Corporations make good villains because Corporations usually are villainous in the real world. The plunder the natural world, exploit workers and corrupt governments all for the sake of profits for a select few.

Corporations are not altruistic or looking out for the best interests of humanity. They do not seek to bring equality or improve the lives of others...its sole purpose is to enrich a select few. History is full of examples of corrupt businessmen doing evil things. Hell corporate greed and banks very nearly drove the world economy over a cliff a few years ago. These same corporations turned to US the people, via our government for help, and then turned around and systematically started screwing consumers...the very people that bailed them out.
__________________
Well maybe I'm the faggot America.
I'm not a part of a redneck agenda.
Now everybody do the propaganda.
And sing along in the age of paranoia

Green Day
Gotham Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 12:54 AM   #18
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: Corporate Bad Guys

DalekJim wrote: View Post
I meant audiences would be less likely to sympathise, not that they wouldn't. Plenty of excellent, popular Shakespeare plays focus on the wealthy, and even monarchs.

In the folklore of old, very often the hero had immense wealth and power. Be they a knight, or even King Arthur himself. The successful have slowly become more hated over time, largely due to tedious liberal agenda and an absurd fetishisation of the working class. Being poor in fiction is seen as a virtue by modern critical thinking.
Arthur, in many versions starts off poor and unaware of his royal lineage. Jesus, Moses and others also start off with humble up bringing only to discover their "divinity" later. Superman plays on this trope as well.

I think the rich and powerful have been cast as villains for as long as there have been storytellers. Likewise the poor and humble have been cast as heroes. Was there a tedious liberal agenda when Robin Hood began stealing from the rich to give to the poor? Was there "modern critical thinking" going on when David slew Goliath? Myths legends are full of Evil Queens, Greedy Kings and Wicked Sorcerers. Also humble tailors, brave boys named Jack and poor girls named Cinderella.
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 04:23 AM   #19
Anwar
Vice Admiral
 
Anwar's Avatar
 
Location: Regina, SK, Canada
Re: Corporate Bad Guys

What about Iron Man? Tony's a rich businessman who was literally profiting from death and war, yet he is considered a heroic character.

Or is it just because of really good writing and acting he can be appreciated by audiences?
Anwar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 05:02 AM   #20
sidious618
Admiral
 
sidious618's Avatar
 
Location: New York, US
Send a message via AIM to sidious618
Re: Corporate Bad Guys

Gotham Central wrote: View Post
Corporations make good villains because Corporations usually are villainous in the real world. The plunder the natural world, exploit workers and corrupt governments all for the sake of profits for a select few.

Corporations are not altruistic or looking out for the best interests of humanity. They do not seek to bring equality or improve the lives of others...its sole purpose is to enrich a select few. History is full of examples of corrupt businessmen doing evil things. Hell corporate greed and banks very nearly drove the world economy over a cliff a few years ago. These same corporations turned to US the people, via our government for help, and then turned around and systematically started screwing consumers...the very people that bailed them out.
My thoughts exactly. They're good villains because in real life they're often villains (or a necessary evil), as well.
__________________
We've met before, haven't we?
sidious618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 05:09 AM   #21
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: Corporate Bad Guys

Anwar wrote: View Post
What about Iron Man? Tony's a rich businessman who was literally profiting from death and war, yet he is considered a heroic character.

Or is it just because of really good writing and acting he can be appreciated by audiences?
He had a change of heart.
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 05:53 AM   #22
Anwar
Vice Admiral
 
Anwar's Avatar
 
Location: Regina, SK, Canada
Re: Corporate Bad Guys

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Anwar wrote: View Post
What about Iron Man? Tony's a rich businessman who was literally profiting from death and war, yet he is considered a heroic character.

Or is it just because of really good writing and acting he can be appreciated by audiences?
He had a change of heart.
First of all:

Secondly, is it wholly because of his actions or was it also to do with his condition of needing the electromagnet?
Anwar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 04:20 PM   #23
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: Corporate Bad Guys

Anwar wrote: View Post
What about Iron Man? Tony's a rich businessman who was literally profiting from death and war, yet he is considered a heroic character.

Or is it just because of really good writing and acting he can be appreciated by audiences?
Iron Man works because they exaggerate the "millionaire playboy" thing to humorous effect, because RDJ lays on the charm and bad-boy appeal, and because they gave him a bad heart to balance out all his wealth and advantages . . . .

Meanwhile, while we're looking at Robin Hood and all, let's not forget Zorro, who came from wealth, but spent all his time defending poor peasants and laborers from wealthy land-owners and corrupt authorities.

(The one genuinely anti-populist hero is possibly The Scarlet Pimpernal, who was all about rescuing endangered aristocrats from the excesses of the French Revolution.)
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 05:49 PM   #24
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral
 
Vendikarr's Avatar
 
Location: Vendikarr
Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr
Re: Corporate Bad Guys

One thing to remember is the international box office has become more important than it had been in previous decades. Where they could make the Soviets or Chinese or any other nationality a villain and no one complained, they now need those markets and cannot afford to take the chance of alienating a potential market. So they rise above nations and suddenly the corporation is evil, for all the reasons given in the posts above mine.

It will be a rare film not based on real world events that will make the enemy another nation.
__________________
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 05:56 PM   #25
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral
 
DarthTom's Avatar
 
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Re: Corporate Bad Guys

Control Voice wrote: View Post
Is this the reflection of the filmmakers idea of who the bad really are in the real world, or is it something else?
More like the reflection of modern audiences of percetions of what bad guys are. And, are you really suprised after the great economic meltdown the largest since the since the Great Depression - largely caused by speculation with the large banks and investment firms - that audiences want the bad guys to be evil corporate titans?
DarthTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 07:32 PM   #26
Sci
Admiral
 
Sci's Avatar
 
Location: "We hold these truths to be self-evident..."
Re: Corporate Bad Guys

Gotham Central wrote: View Post
Corporations make good villains because Corporations usually are villainous in the real world. The plunder the natural world, exploit workers and corrupt governments all for the sake of profits for a select few.

Corporations are not altruistic or looking out for the best interests of humanity. They do not seek to bring equality or improve the lives of others...its sole purpose is to enrich a select few. History is full of examples of corrupt businessmen doing evil things. Hell corporate greed and banks very nearly drove the world economy over a cliff a few years ago. These same corporations turned to US the people, via our government for help, and then turned around and systematically started screwing consumers...the very people that bailed them out.
Quoted for truth. Anyone who doubts it should see the documentary The Corporation.
__________________
"Every line of serious work that I have written since 1936 has been written, directly or indirectly, against totalitarianism and for democratic Socialism, as I understand it." - George Orwell, 1946
Sci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2013, 08:00 PM   #27
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral
 
DarthTom's Avatar
 
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Re: Corporate Bad Guys

Sci wrote: View Post
Quoted for truth. Anyone who doubts it should see the documentary The Corporation.
I think one of the funniest and most ironic examples of that is Apple. Tree hugging, "lilly livered liberals," happily tote around their iphones and ipads like they are some great example of aultruism and coprorate responsibility but when you dig deeper they dodge taxes and exploit Chinese workers with the best of them - if not more so.

I had to laugh during the, occupy Wall Street program - many people were carrying their ipads seemingly not even realizing that Apple is right up therre with the rest of the worst.
DarthTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2013, 09:01 PM   #28
publiusr
Commodore
 
Re: Corporate Bad Guys

Another case in point:
http://www.westlibertyindex.com/article.php?viewID=3992

Henry’s Turkey Service is a Texas labor broker that for 40 years paid developmentally challenged workers about 41 cents per hour...Iowa State Fire Marshal deemed the living quarters unsafe due to fire code and other safety and health violations....
“Verbal abuses included frequently referring to the workers as ‘retarded,’ ‘dumb ass’ and ‘stupid,’” the EEOC press release reads. “Class members reported acts of physical abuse, including hitting, kicking, at least one case of handcuffing, and forcing the disabled workers to carry heavy weights as punishment. The Henry’s Turkey supervisors, also the workers’ purported caretakers, were often dismissive of complaints of injuries or pain.”

And their apologists in talk radio ask for tort reform, to prevent this:

The lawsuit comes a month after state work force officials imposed a $1.1 million penalty against Henry’s Turkey Service for violations of state labor laws.

First thing to do--outlaw temp services.
Second, disallow the whole LLC category.

Double tractor trailers with dollys welded together were sent out in one of Alabama's worst wenter storms by an employer here. The trucks are not actually owned by the company man, but by a near bankrupt shell company, so you have to sue only that and the poor drivers, who get harrased if they say they work for other than the lawsuit shell.

Now the arguements the right-wingers make is that we don't need regs, that lawsuits alone should suffice. But when you outsource this, shell over that, and elect folks who don't believe in their own gov't positions, you get disasters, like the texas ferilizer plant explosions http://up-ship.com/blog/?p=19816

A lot of the anti-gov't folks who have jobs in gov't are thus the political equivalent of professional wrestling referees. They never see anything--are on the take from the manager, and go after the wrong guy.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2013, 09:17 PM   #29
Sci
Admiral
 
Sci's Avatar
 
Location: "We hold these truths to be self-evident..."
Re: Corporate Bad Guys

DarthTom wrote: View Post
Sci wrote: View Post
Quoted for truth. Anyone who doubts it should see the documentary The Corporation.
I think one of the funniest and most ironic examples of that is Apple. Tree hugging, "lilly livered liberals," happily tote around their iphones and ipads like they are some great example of aultruism and coprorate responsibility but when you dig deeper they dodge taxes and exploit Chinese workers with the best of them - if not more so.
I completely agree. I love Apple's products, but its corporate culture is just as awful as anyone else's. Corporations cannot help but be morally corrupt.

I had to laugh during the, occupy Wall Street program - many people were carrying their ipads seemingly not even realizing that Apple is right up therre with the rest of the worst.
I am at an absolute loss to imagine how anyone can be effective in pushing for corporate change without using a computer. Are you honestly saying that a customer doesn't have a right to demand change from a corporation?
__________________
"Every line of serious work that I have written since 1936 has been written, directly or indirectly, against totalitarianism and for democratic Socialism, as I understand it." - George Orwell, 1946
Sci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2013, 09:51 PM   #30
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral
 
DarthTom's Avatar
 
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Re: Corporate Bad Guys

Sci wrote: View Post
I am at an absolute loss to imagine how anyone can be effective in pushing for corporate change without using a computer. Are you honestly saying that a customer doesn't have a right to demand change from a corporation?
Of course they should. [Apple pc's are hardly the only game in town] I just don't personally see people outside the Apple Stores [at least in the US] demanding that Apple stop making ipadsd at Chinese factories that use sucide nets to stop employees from jumping because of the horrible working conditions.

Nor do I see protests in front of Apple stores because they sheild their huge earnings overseas from taxes.

Did see however this last Presidential election huge outcries from often the same groups who thought Mitt Romney was a shameful and awful person for doing exactly the same thing
DarthTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.