The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old June 30 2013, 03:04 AM   #1
BrentMc
Lieutenant Commander

Kelly Biography

Have any of you read any of the biographies of Dee Kelly? I have read a few bad reviews on amazon about them. One of them is said to read like a research paper and the other is said to include too many personal details of him by a woman who was his caregiver.
BrentMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2013, 07:32 PM   #2
Bob Greenberger
Writer

Re: Kelly Biography

Terry Rioux's bio is thorough, researched with De's cooperation and reads just fine. Well worth a look.
Old July 4 2013, 01:59 PM   #3
Boo! Did I Scare Ya?
Admiral

I have both books and enjoy them both for different reasons. Terry Rioux's book is a classically done biography with a lot if detail on De. Kristine M Smith's book is certainly more personal and is filled with anecdotes. A completely different perspective - more like a personal letter. I think that's what I liked about it. It is getting an update and the newer version is due out in the next month or two. I haven't decided if I am going to pick that one up, yet. Hope this helps.
Boo! Did I Scare Ya? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2013, 08:53 PM   #4
BrentMc
Lieutenant Commander

Thank you both for the replies. I look forward to these books. Dr. McCoy was one of the best characters in TV history.
Old July 13 2013, 05:50 AM   #5
JWD75
Commander

BrentMc wrote: View Post
Thank you both for the replies. I look forward to these books. Dr. McCoy was one of the best characters in TV history.
Couldn't agree more.

I thought that From Sawdust to Stardust by Terry Lee Rioux was a great read.
JWD75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2013, 10:05 PM   #6
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

bbailey861 wrote: View Post
I have both books and enjoy them both for different reasons. Terry Rioux's book is a classically done biography with a lot if detail on De. Kristine M Smith's book is certainly more personal and is filled with anecdotes. A completely different perspective - more like a personal letter. I think that's what I liked about it. It is getting an update and the newer version is due out in the next month or two. I haven't decided if I am going to pick that one up, yet. Hope this helps.
I didn't know there would be an update of Kristine Smith's book. I enjoyed Terry's Rioux's so much, that I was about to head over to Amazon and get Smith's when I saw your post.

Thanks for saving me money.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2013, 03:01 PM   #7
Kinokima
Lieutenant Commander

I am thinking of adding Kelley's biography to my kindle. I am a bit obsessed with him at the moment and would love to learn more about him. It's too bad he never wrote an autobiography.

I have mixed feelings about Kristin M. Smith's book. I don't think I can read the details of what he went through in the end, I think this would be too upsetting for me.

On another note I wish someone would re-release Kelley's Star Trek poetry. This is something I would buy in a second.
Kinokima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2013, 03:51 AM   #8
BrentMc
Lieutenant Commander

Kinokima wrote: View Post
On another note I wish someone would re-release Kelley's Star Trek poetry. This is something I would buy in a second.
I agree! I just heard about his poetry recently. I found one online and enjoyed it. I would like to find more. I have also ran across a few of Nimoy's poetry books. They can be found on online bookstores.
Old July 27 2013, 03:41 PM   #9
Kinokima
Lieutenant Commander

Finished the Rioux biography today and really enjoyed it. While I would have preferred an autobiography in Kelley's own words, I think this was the next best thing. I am not usually a big fan of biographies since most of them focus on rumors and scandal.

Thankfully there was none of that in this book. Instead it was a very warm appreciation of Kelley. That isn't to say Kelley was a saint, he had faults just like anyone but the book definitely highlighted what I expected, Kelley was just a down to earth pleasant guy who a lot of people really liked a lot.

Some reviews on Amazon make it seem that there isn't a lot of Star Trek, which isn't true at all, there is a lot. Star Trek makes up about 50% of the book I would say. Some things I knew about before from reading other books, websites, and watching youtube videos, but there is other stuff I didn't know sprinkled in.

Of course Star Trek isn't all of Kelley's life and there is also a bunch of stuff on his early career (and while he wasn't a big star he experienced early Hollywood and even earlier television so very interesting from a historical perspective) and of course there is a lot of good stuff on the Westerns he did.

Also after reading this book I realized that maybe I have come to admire and like Kelley so much because he reminds me a bit of my late grandfather.
Kinokima is offline   Reply With Quote