RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,670
Members: 24,198
Currently online: 568
Newest member: Bradmark

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old July 5 2013, 04:24 AM   #46
AllStarEntprise
Captain

Re: Unused crossover ideas

Yeah comics and books for EU Trek, Wars and just about anything else can get REALLY far out there. I most recently read Brannon Braga's HIVE comic. While I did enjoy it, and Brannon a renowned Trek writer wrote it. It felt to much like fanservice to his own ego and trying to fulfill his own goals that he could never bring to live on VOY. I support the official release of these works (books, games, comics) because I want more Trek.

My big Wars fan friends have already had their temper tantrum that the JJ sequels will neglecting Jacen, Jania and Anakin Solo, Mara Jade Skywalker, and Cade Skywalker characters and other characters and stories from Star Wars EU.
AllStarEntprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2013, 04:36 PM   #47
Lighthammer
Fleet Captain

T'Girl wrote: View Post
AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post
Wading in to murking waters here. In NEM Riker was given command of a ship we never see. The USS Titan. In 2005 there was a contest for the USS TItan pocket books. To design what the ship would look like. Now this is the books so it's canoncity status is shakey.
As I understand canon, the books aren't shakey, they're completely outside. From what I gather from the few fans I know who still read the novels, the story line has venture so far outside the continuity of the shows/movies that they're basically in their own separate science fiction universe now.

If (very unlikely) there were ever a series based on Captain Riker of the USS Titan (younger actor), odds are the ship in that series would look nothing like that ship from the contest on the novel covers. And the ship's crew would be different that those depicted in the novel stories.

That simply doesn't pan with the official stance of the relaunch novels unless you're talking about something entirely different.

The relaunch novels and the Path to 2409 story archs are endorsed episodes. I won't use the term canon because that term itself is excessively subjective.

The thing of it is, while it may not be exceedingly practical, it would be really awesome if a new series came out that was based on the relaunchs and Path to 2409 --- the biggest amount of work is already done and endorsing these franchise through a live action series would do some really neat things for Trek but most importantly reduce the cost a lot. That whole development stage of story line is already done going that route.
Old July 9 2013, 07:47 PM   #48
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

T'Girl wrote: View Post
]As I understand canon, the books aren't shakey, they're completely outside.
Yep, and none of the writers pretend otherwise. The only difference is that now they are allowed to change things and build on those changes from book to book, but the books now are no more a part of studio-sanctioned continuity than any of the books of '90s were.