TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old July 9 2013, 02:47 PM   #76
Christopher
Writer

Re: Star trek final frontier directors cut finished

Tosk wrote: View Post
Why would CBS be approached about this? Unless I missed something, Star Trek V belongs to Paramount. CBS only owns the TV material.
Well, that's a little iffy. Paramount has rights to the Trek films, but CBS owns the entire franchise. The name Star Trek and related indicia are trademarks of CBS which Paramount is licensed to use in their movies, though Paramount is the copyright holder for the movies (but CBS has a joint copyright with Paramount on the novelizations, comics, etc.). And since characters like Kirk, Spock, McCoy, etc. were created for a TV series that CBS owns, that probably means that Paramount is only permitted to use them under license from CBS.

So even though ST V is a production of/copyrighted by Paramount, if anyone wanted to release a new DVD with Star Trek in the title, even a re-edit of an old movie, they'd at the very least need CBS's permission to use the trademark.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2013, 02:56 PM   #77
Tosk
Rear Admiral

*Headspin*

Fair enough.
Tosk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2013, 04:05 PM   #78
NewHorizon
Captain

Hoping we get to see it somehow.

Some of the CGI samples posted are quite old...is it safe to assume a lot of those were WIP and will look more photorealistic in the final cut?

Last edited by NewHorizon; July 9 2013 at 04:26 PM.
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2013, 04:48 PM   #79
Tom
Rear Admiral

CBS is the SOLE owner of Star Trek, Paramount, owned by Viacom, (a now separate company after the 2006 split) has contracted licensing rights to make the films. The decision is CBS. That said, there are some legal ramifications that need to be sorted out before CBS would 'sign off' on this, such as worker time compensation (for the film restoration) and possible union issues among many things. Not saying it could not happen, just a lot of red tape for CBS to deal with.

@Christopher, are you sure Paramount still has the joint copyright license on books, etc.. I thought that had recently changed to all CBS. You would know better obviously since you deal with them more. I may be wrong.

Owner - TrekUnited.com - Forum now re-open! click here
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2013, 05:16 PM   #80
Tom
Rear Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
How is it the Directors Cut if the director of the film didn't work on it?
What does God need with a Directors Cut? lol

Old July 9 2013, 06:30 PM   #81
Grant
Fleet Captain

Could somebody post a link to the article about the new cut or the site in question, I am having trouble finding it.

Thank you so much.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2013, 06:31 PM   #82
Christopher
Writer

Tom wrote: View Post
@Christopher, are you sure Paramount still has the joint copyright license on books, etc.. I thought that had recently changed to all CBS. You would know better obviously since you deal with them more. I may be wrong.
Where Prime-universe content is concerned, CBS Studios has the sole copyright on tie-in material. But Abramsverse tie-ins (the comics, the young-adult novels, and the games) are copyrighted both by CBS and Paramount.

For instance, here's a shot of the copyright page to Countdown to Darkness #2 from IDW. You can see at the bottom (though it's hard to read) that it says,"(R) and (C) 2013 CBS Studios Inc. STAR TREK and related marks and trademarks [sic] of CBS Studios Inc. (C) 2013 Paramount Pictures Corporation. All Rights Reserved." (I think that middle part is supposed to say "...and related marks and logos are trademarks of...". That's what it says on the back of the first movie's novelization.)

Old July 9 2013, 07:14 PM   #83
Tom
Rear Admiral

Yes Christopher your right, the distinction is between Bad Robot's (JJs) universe created with Paramount (Viacom) vs. the inherited prime universe that CBS owns (after the 2006 split). That makes perfect sense. I thought you had also been referring to prime universe property, that is why I questioned it.

Back on topic, as far as this version of TFF goes. CBS needs to figure if this version would be worth it to package, market and sell it. IMO, it stands a better chance of selling than some of the repackaging of the same Star Trek films that they are always doing ( "the all new blue package of ST:TFF complete with a Sybok refrigerator magnet!"..yawn..lol)

Last edited by Tom; July 9 2013 at 08:42 PM.
Old July 9 2013, 07:59 PM   #84
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Tom wrote: View Post

Back on topic, as far as this version of TFF goes. CBS needs to figure if this version would be worth it to package, market and sell it. IMO, it stands a better chance of selling than some of the repackaging of the same Star Trek films that they are always doing ( "the all new blue package of ST:TFF complete with a Sybok refrigerator magnet!"..yawn..lol)
I think this will serve more as a "proof of concept" than the actual product. If CBS sees value in the changes then they will then hand it off to a company to make changes in concert with Shatner.

I seriously doubt a fan-edit will ever be released as an official product.
Old July 9 2013, 08:36 PM   #85
Grant
Fleet Captain

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
How is it the Directors Cut if the director of the film didn't work on it?
The ST II Director's Cut DVD was essentially someone showing Nick Meyer what had already been added to the ABC-TV extended screening and him agreeing it was okay. IIRC.

Dead wrong.

Nicholas Meyer hand picked the footage that went into the ABC-TV cut in 1985. I remember reading an article at the time where he commented that he "got to revisit some of the battles he had lost with the studio"
He even picked the alternate turbo-lift Kirk/Saavik version because he thought it played better in the 4x3 format.

Here is an article from trekweb where he mentions putting together the TV cut......

http://trekweb.com/articles/2011/04/...Revealed.shtml
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 12:05 AM   #86
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Why is Sybok being Spock's half brother a retcon? It's not a retcon.
Not a canonical retcon, but it went against the memoed intentions of Roddenberry and Fontana for the character they'd shepherded through two pilots and three seasons: that Spock was - deliberately - an only child.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 12:07 AM   #87
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Grant wrote: View Post
Nicholas Meyer hand picked the footage that went into the ABC-TV cut in 1985. I remember reading an article at the time where he commented that he "got to revisit some of the battles he had lost with the studio"
He even picked the alternate turbo-lift Kirk/Saavik version because he thought it played better in the 4x3 format.
Okay, but I was sure I read an old "Starlog" of the day where it was said he was uninvolved.

The article you linked to says his quote was in "Cinefantastique" in 1992.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 03:48 AM   #88
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Grant wrote: View Post
Okay, but I was sure I read an old "Starlog" of the day where it was said he was uninvolved.

The article you linked to says his quote was in "Cinefantastique" in 1992.
You guys are talking at cross purposes. Meyer in CFQ was discussing what he did for the ABC cut, which is what decades later was repurposed into the alleged director's cut dvd. Neither the ABC nor DVD are the DC, which hasn't been seen since before TWOK debuted in June 82.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 05:47 PM   #89
EliyahuQeoni
Commodore

Location: Redmond, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Universe
View EliyahuQeoni's Twitter Profile

DC also managed to put a cheeky line into her then-upcoming novel, "Vulcan's Glory", where Amanda states that Spock is "the only son of Sarek". (A few months later and the line would probably have been removed.)
"Cheeky" is a nice way of putting it. I've always thought it was childish, bitchy and unprofessional.
"Canon is only important to certain people because they have to cling to their knowledge of the minutiae. Open your mind! Be a Star Trek fan and open your mind and say, 'Where does Star Trek want to take me now'." - Leonard Nimoy
EliyahuQeoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 06:59 PM   #90
Christopher
Writer

^Actually Fontana's line doesn't technically contradict the movie at all, since Sarek had disowned Sybok and thus he was no longer legally considered a son of Sarek. Although, granted, Amanda might have felt differently about it.